iPhone 5 hoodi or glare cover?

Reaction score
Is anyone using a commercial hoodi (like this for the ipad mini: http://www.hoodivision.com) for the iPhone 5? My P2V arrives Monday so I don't yet know what the glare is like.... Thoughts? Anyone know of a commercial product for the iPhone 5?

Whatever you buy would also have to work with the Iphone inserted into the cradle. This probably rules out most commercial products as it won't fit once inserted.

I have yet to try and fly mine in strong sunshine due to the poor weather. I am not expecting it to be too much of a problem as I never try to fly it FPV, I only use the screen for framing shots.

It can't be that difficult to make your own hood that would also work with the cradle. I would first use some black card to experiment until I got something that worked. In an ideal world it would fold flat for stowage. Once it worked I would look for some plastic material to replicate it in.

Good luck with your search and please do feed back if you discover anything that works well.

Whatever you buy would also have to work with the Iphone inserted into the cradle. This probably rules out most commercial products as it won't fit once inserted.

Agree... Thanks Shrimpfarmer. I will wait until having the product in hand to determine what may be the best option. Back to the manuals....

Someone needs to make a hood that snaps on. One for the iPhone and iPad mini designed to specifically works with the mount. I know there are guys that make stuff on 3D software and send it to Shapeways to 3D print/create. Put it up on the store they have and wa la.

I need to learn that software. Could be worth a couple bucks in the pocket and i'd be helping out my fellow flyers. :D

James

http://www.shapeways.com/creator/tools?li=nav

I use the Hoodi with the iPad Mini. Its a lifesaver. I don't believe an antiglare does the trick. The Hoodi is big enough to give enough shade to clearly see the video and the readings.

Will Rockwell said:
I may make a hood for my android phone, I can't see **** when I'm flying

Please let us know how you make out. I've been unable to create anything that helps on a bright day. Turning up the brightness of the unit, so far, has been the only "bright spot" of my attempts.

I've tried getting the unit up on a tripod and pointing it down and putting cardboard all around the screen... Today I'm going to try a small umbrella.

-slinger

I just made this out of black foamcore and Gorilla tape. The pieces are pinned together with straight pins, then taped for reinforcement. It velcroes to the phone clip on the transmitter. I can't report yet on how well it works, I chipped a prop yesterday and can't fly.

Will Rockwell said:
I just made this out of black foamcore and Gorilla tape. The pieces are pinned together with straight pins, then taped for reinforcement. It velcroes to the phone clip on the transmitter. I can't report yet on how well it works, I chipped a prop yesterday and can't fly.

Have you taken it out in bright sunlight to see if your view of the screen improves?

Thanks...
-slinger

gunslinger said:
Have you taken it out in bright sunlight to see if your view of the screen improves?

Thanks...
-slinger

There is no sun today. I held it under bright spotlights in my wife's studio, and it was a big improvement.

Will Rockwell said:
gunslinger said:

Thanks...
-slinger

There is no sun today. I held it under bright spotlights in my wife's studio, and it was a big improvement.

Awesome... I really hope this works as I'm faced with the same problem. Thanks for the input and please keep us informed...

Thanks again...
-slinger

Great but I think you need one more flap (or what you call it)
One fro the top just a short one and ideal would be to make it so you can flip it over. Don't know if that makes sense?
It looks good in that position you are holding the controller on the photo but I think most people are holding it more flat, and if you have the sun up high above you, you will still get sun on the screen.
But keep up the good work.

gunslinger said:
Will Rockwell said:

Please let us know how you make out. I've been unable to create anything that helps on a bright day. Turning up the brightness of the unit, so far, has been the only "bright spot" of my attempts.

I've tried getting the unit up on a tripod and pointing it down and putting cardboard all around the screen... Today I'm going to try a small umbrella.

-slinger

Hi Slinger
How did it go with the Umbrella?

Are you using the Samsung Galaxy S3?

I have just made a couple of light-weight prototypes today which I will try out tomorrow if the weather is ok.

Klaus said:
gunslinger said:
Will Rockwell said:

-slinger

Hi Slinger
How did it go with the Umbrella?

Are you using the Samsung Galaxy S3?

I have just made a couple of light-weight prototypes today which I will try out tomorrow if the weather is ok.

The weather here has been awful for a week or so, so I haven't had the opportunity to move ahead with this yet. I'm currently using a Nexus 7. I love it, but it's absolutely useless outdoors on a bright day... :(

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj