Iphone 5 as flight camera.

Reaction score
I'm so poor after buying g my phantom that I can't affordable go pro.
I attached my iphone to one of the landing skids and set video to record. Here are some screen caps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 864
It's funny you posted this. I've been wondering how this would work. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a P2 zenmuse setup with a gopro and wondered how my iphone would look instead. I know it won't be as good as the gopro. But I don't have a go pro and to add it adds another 50% to the cost. And I can always add the go pro later.

So has anyone used the iphone 5 or 5s with a zenmuse? Any examples? I've looked on YouTube and found a couple jello fests, but didn't find any with a zenmuse.

Also can you use the iphone to track it in case of a flyaway? Or do you need to put it in airplane mode to avoid interference? I saw 1 video on YouTube that used an iphone and tracking app, but maybe he was just lucky not to have issues?

I have sent it up twice now forgetting to put it on airplane mode. Luckily no on tried to call or message me.
Attaching it to the gimbal would create clearance issues.
As for tracking. Should be possible. I would buy a starter sim intead if my regular one. To be sure no one called or sent text messages to it.

What would the clearance issues be? Is the iphone too big for the zenmuse? I don't have the phantom or gimbal yet so don't know what it can accommodate.

If you get a new sim, don't you need a separate plan for that sim? What about putting the phone in Do Not Disturb mode? Would that eliminate the issue of interference?

I am doing the same but with another phone, the lumia 1020, because of the money, because I hope the quality of the pictures is supposed to be better than go pro, and because I enjoy the dyi involved.
For the moment I am more focus on videos. I tried several setups but, in very bright conditions, jello is there, so not worth on sharing anything.
How did you manage on taking stills? Are you using an intervalometer?
The good part is that, even though I switch airplane mode on, I can use an app for GPS tracking, and it works very well, i have the path on Google maps, the altitude and speed graph...
Would you share your setup?

CJ31 said:
What would the clearance issues be? Is the iphone too big for the zenmuse? I don't have the phantom or gimbal yet so don't know what it can accommodate.

If you get a new sim, don't you need a separate plan for that sim? What about putting the phone in Do Not Disturb mode? Would that eliminate the issue of interference?

I don't think zenumuse is ok with iphone or any other phone, as I
It doesn't fit and because you should reprogramming the balancing I guess (possible anyway)

I have but I'm saving my money for the go pro. As I already have the phone I'll keep using it in the mean time. I'll post a pic of how I attached it.

just get one of these and suction it to the bottom of the phantom.

$10 bucks at target.

lol....

okwgtc.jpg

You can run apps so your phone can act as a gps tracker, logger and a theft deterrent too. All things considered, that may save some weight... and in urban area, you can probably use 3G/4G as the FPV channel to the phone.

Gel pad looks iffy though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav