iPad Pro 9.7" Case recommendation

Reaction score
I was disappointed when my iPad case didn't fit on to the RC holder, forcing me to remove my iPad each time. Without paying the complete rip-off price for the Apple shell and front cover, can anyone recommend a cheaper similar case that will allow my iPad to fit into the RC controller? If you have pictures I would love to see thank you.

It'll fit if you use an extender like this one.

I have a dedicated tablet for my RC and always avoid using any case. I didn't get a single scratch so far.

Reactions: RadioMike
Use the two-piece Apple smart case. It's pricey but the magnetic removable cover (if you even choose to get that part) is removable so the iPad itself in the back cover fits into the controller perfectly.

Use the two-piece Apple smart case. It's pricey but the magnetic removable cover (if you even choose to get that part) is removable so the iPad itself in the back cover fits into the controller perfectly.

What case exactly are you talking about?
Thanks

Have iPad Pro 9.7 with Apple silicone case and it fits controller perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ditto. I use the same thing. I have the silicone back case, which makes my iPad Pro 9.7" grippy in the remote holder. I just remove magnetically attached keyboard and it works like a champ. Agree on the price issue, too. It is a bit expensive, but solid.

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
The Apple silicon case. It comes in two pieces. You'll just need the back part of the case.

Over £90 for apples 2-piece effort.. No f*****g thanks! My £14.99 puts it to shame. When I did a side by side comparison my one was better both in build and quality.. just a shame my one doesn't fit the Phantoms RC. To be honest I'm surprised people even buy Apple cases - it's common knowledge they are ripping people right off here!

Anyway more to the point - I've now ordered one of those extension thingys for the RC grip, so I can keep my vastly superior iPad case! (Thanks to msinger for this recommendation).

Over £90 for apples 2-piece effort.. No f*****g thanks! My £14.99 puts it to shame. When I did a side by side comparison my one was better both in build and quality.. just a shame my one doesn't fit the Phantoms RC. To be honest I'm surprised people even buy Apple cases - it's common knowledge they are ripping people right off here!

Anyway more to the point - I've now ordered one of those extension thingys for the RC grip, so I can keep my vastly superior iPad case! (Thanks to msinger for this recommendation).

Same here I found one on Amazon for $14.99. It works perfect with the stock mount on the pf4 controller

.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A2YH218/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hmm wonder if this case will fit the Air 2? Kinda what I'm looking for if it will fit the controller.

The Air 2 Smart Case does not have the removable magnetic cover. The iPad Pro Smart Case DOES however fit the Air 2 with 2 exceptions:

1) If you opt to use the removable Smart Cover, it does not magnetically stay close
2) in addition to item 1, the auto power on-off with cover open-close does not work. I assume the magnets are in a different location.

But if you're not looking to use the cover, the silicone backing fits and it will work with the remote.

Reactions: Kiel Allen
I have the apple silicone case for my iPad Pro 9.7 and it fits. It's a little snug but it works

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wow.. That works! I have the Pro 9.7 with the Apple two piece case/cover. All this time I've been prying the iPad out of the case when all I had to do was pull off the cover. For some reason I never thought of doing this. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chopstix Kid
I searched for days to put together this setup and it has worked great. It's comparable to Apple's Silicone case coupled with the Apple Smart Cover plus a glass screen protector. This way the cover can be removed for flying and put back on for use after.

I wanted something that was slim, protective, cheap, and fit in my controller without an obnoxious extension arm. I purchased these three separate pieces (one from eBay, two from Amazon) totaling about $32.

Ultra thin Magnetic PU Leather Smart Cover Case for 2016 Apple iPad Pro 9.7" New

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013JZCAZK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OH5JYU6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How is that glass screen protector in respect to reflections?

A newer screen coating that Apple uses on the Pro makes it the least reflecting of the whole iPad lineup. It would be a shame to defeat that.

Good question.. I use a sun shade when I fly and using that I wasn't able to tell a difference with or without the glass. However, the reflection/glare without the sun shade with the glass installed was exactly like that of an Air 2 before Apple added the coating. In a world of endless money I'd have an iPad pro dedicated to the RC, but unfortunately that's not my case! So this was a perfect solution for me as I use this iPad for many other things as well.

Side note: This is the sun shade I use and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VWC5MBM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.