iPad Mini versus iPad Mini w/Retina

Reaction score
I just had a pretty serious revelation. The other day, early in the morning - an almost foggy cool morning in central Maryland (RH must have been nearly 70-80%), I took the Phantom out for a flight and was disappointed in the quality of the video on my iPad Mini w/Retina. I had bought the Retina Mini just for better FPV (or video feedback anyway). I noticed that the telemetry data for the sats and the battery levels and other housekeeping, was very crisp and clear, so I wrote off the fuzzy video as some condensation on the camera lens (and took some steps along those lines to help it dry).

When I finally had a chance to download the video and images from the SD card, I was very surprised to see crystal clear imaging! So now I was really confused, and on the off chance that there was a difference between my two iPad Minis, I just did a test of the two.

It turns out that the iPad Mini w/Retina does not present as clear a video display of the camera output as the iPad Mini (basic, non-Retina). I don't know why this is, but it IS. So for now, I am going to reassign duties of my two Minis (one - the Retina display - was going to be dedicated to the Phantom, and one is for general use and work-related). It's a minor reassignment, but still a disappointment, I was really counting on a marked improvement in the video from the Retina, but such is not to be. If any of you are considering an iPad Mini for your monitor, don't go with the Retina! My $0.02.

I use a Mini with Retina display and are very happy with it.
The reason might be that the app is not up to the higher resolution of the retina display since it was designed for the iPhone.

I don't mind since what really counts is the power of the A7 processor that exceeds the regular Mini by far. This is important (we all read about some issues with wifi>
My 2 cents.

cougar said:
The reason might be that the app is not up to the higher resolution of the retina display since it was designed for the iPhone.

I don't mind since what really counts is the power of the A7 processor that exceeds the regular Mini by far. This is important (we all read about some issues with wifi>
My 2 cents.
That's true, but does the A7 really help you with the slow data rates of the Phantom?

slothead said:
cougar said:

My 2 cents.
That's true, but does the A7 really help you with the slow data rates of the Phantom?

Sure does, just feel the how warm the iPad gets when used with the Phantom, processor working big time.
The regular Mini has much less power.

cougar said:
slothead said:
cougar said:

My 2 cents.

Sure does, just feel the how warm the iPad gets when used with the Phantom, processor working big time.
The regular Mini has much less power.
I didn't notice either of mine getting warm, even though someone else had mentioned one getting so hot it shut down (i.e., I was sensitive to it and watching for it). I still much prefer the display detail of the earlier Mini - enough to ignore minor heat dissipation.

I haven't had issue with the mini, mine was with the iPad Air. Wish though DJI would come out with app for iPads, that has to be rough using a phone.

What are you guys mounting your ipads with, while viewing? I have just been using my phone, since it fits nicely in the provided clamp. I'd love to try using my mini retina, instead of squinting at the tiny iphone screen. Thx!

I have to admit I've been disappointed in the quality of the display for my iPad Mini retina in sunlight. I was told if I used a UV filter it would help. However without putting a towel over my head, in direct sunlight, it's almost impossible to see anything.

I do like the size of the display as compared to my Galaxy, but I am disappointed at the functionality in sunlight.

sidebox said:
What are you guys mounting your ipads with, while viewing? I have just been using my phone, since it fits nicely in the provided clamp. I'd love to try using my mini retina, instead of squinting at the tiny iphone screen. Thx!

I use a FPV monitor mount with the tablet mount adaptor. Goes on nice along with the tablet sun hood. Under $100 for all 3 pieces.
http://www.uavdirect.com

sidebox said:
I'm using a mount that is also attachable to a tripod (camera female screw thread on a separate fitting), but the best feature is that its ball mount is the same size as the Phantom's ball mount (I haven't used the tripod mount). I got mine from Mount Guys and it is their part number MFX1420-IPM. It's not as secure as some, but seems to be secure enough for my uses so far. At $18, it was an easy "experiment."

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj