iPad Mini 5 problem

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering now if I have made a very expensive mistake in buying a new iPad Mini 5 for my P3P I have now sorted the quiz problem, but the iPad lags terribly when recording, the screen keeps refreshing, and sometime half the screen goes black trying to catch up, I can turn the gimble left and right up and down, but the picture on screen stays there until it catches up..I have turned on cache etc and off, but still the same, I have also got a new fast memory card to try. It does not happen on my old Samsung. Just now wondering if I made an expensive mistake in buying the IPad mini 5 I have not installed any other programs other than the DJI GO app, I have even removed some installed programs I do not use. Am I doing something wrong?? or should I have gone with a new Samsung..

Any help as always is much appreciated.

Stay safe Len

Hi Len, I have the ipad mini 5 with the P4Pro & the Std, it works flawlessly sound like something to do with connection coz that Ipad has heaps of processing power. I hope you find the cause mate.
Kev

Reactions: ron-ep and Lenj
Hi Len, I have the ipad mini 5 with the P4Pro & the Std, it works flawlessly sound like something to do with connection coz that Ipad has heaps of processing power. I hope you find the cause mate.
Kev
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me, that is why I got it and recommendations on here, I am stuck with this one, hopefully will get it sorted.

Thanks Len.

Cable issue? Possibly try a different one?
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.. I got a brand new lightning cable and used my iPhone 8 cable, still a problem..I think it's a cache problem.

Thanks Len

The Mini 5 should be a good flying tablet.
Lots of users have no issues with it.
Here are some tips to get the best out of it:
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me, I will have a look there.

Thanks Len

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me, that is why I got it and recommendations on here, I am stuck with this one, hopefully will get it sorted.

Thanks Len.

Hi Update,

I have been to this site and most is way out of date some advice is not on the latest DJI GO App..There are a couple of questions on there but they are from 2 years ago.
Some of the settings are already turned off on my Ipad mini 5 ...On saying that...What a shame that this site was not kept up to date, it would have been an enormous help for newbies.. However, well worth a look..

Thanks again Len

Can you borrow another iPad Mini 4/5 to try? You might just have a lemon. My old 4’s work great so something ain’t right.

Reactions: Lenj
Can you borrow another iPad Mini 4/5 to try? You might just have a lemon. My old 4’s work great so something ain’t right.

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I did have the iPad mini 2 it done the same on there, hence the upgrade to the 5..
Meta4 gave me a link to iPad settings site, although it's out of date for some features some I have done, but what a great site if kept up to date.. I found something on there that might help others, there is a link to a Roll Back site to downgrade? Itunes so that you can put on an earlier version of DJIGO..
I have done all I can setting up, its an iPad mini 5 64gb so should be ok for the job.. I just feel that the cache is the problem with the refresh it keeps doing, but does not do on my old Samsung..Very strange!!!

Thanks Len

Hi all,

Really very disappointed, I have tried all the above and still the lagging persists.. I put on my old Samsung and perfect NO lagging at all, and it's full of the grandkids games etc ..Looks like I have to sell my iPad mini 5 64gb as it's useless to fly my P3P, maybe OK for the P4, but I do not have that kind of money to throw at this..I will not be buying iPads ever again, that's for sure!!!..

Very sad :(

Stay safe all thanks for all your input ..Len

Have you done a complete reset to factory on the Mini 5, the full reset so that you have to set it up again from scratch.
Don't use Itunes to copy data from your old ipad mini to the new, just keep it without any of your old data and apps on it, keep it a clean skin.
In DJI Go general settings have you enabled the "Enable Hardware Decode" setting, this will allow the ipad hardware to decode the video stream.

You might have also deleted an essential app in your app cull.
This is the first time and only time I have ever heard of the Ipad Mini 5 not working with DJI Go

Also what is your Ipad Mini 5 model number ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lenj and Oso
Although I fly exclusively with android kit and very happy with it (DJI Go and Litchi, Pix4D) , as others have said, the iPad route is usually the low-hassle way of flying these things - so something definitely not right in your case. Can you try the iPad with another drone/controller? I'm genuinely curious....

FWIW - on my PfCO course I was the only one in the class not running Apple....

Reactions: Lenj and Oso
as others have said, the iPad route is usually the low-hassle way of flying these things - so something definitely not right in your case.
This is the first time and only time I have ever heard of the Ipad Mini 5 not working
I agree with these messages.

Reactions: Lenj
Although I fly exclusively with android kit and very happy with it (DJI Go and Litchi, Pix4D) , as others have said, the iPad route is usually the low-hassle way of flying these things - so something definitely not right in your case. Can you try the iPad with another drone/controller? I'm genuinely curious....

FWIW - on my PfCO course I was the only one in the class not running Apple....
Hi,
As I stated above, and I agree with you the iPad mini 5 should be fine, something is clearly not right, but this also happened on my other iPad mini hence getting a new one, but so strange that ALL is fine on my old Samsung which again as I said above is full of the grandkids game etc..So something is not right with the iPad and this AC..I would love to get this sorted.
Unfortunately, I do not have another drone or remote, nor do I know anyone near me that has a drone..

Thanks for help Len

Have you done a complete reset to factory on the Mini 5, the full reset so that you have to set it up again from scratch.
Don't use Itunes to copy data from your old ipad mini to the new, just keep it without any of your old data and apps on it, keep it a clean skin.
In DJI Go general settings have you enabled the "Enable Hardware Decode" setting, this will allow the ipad hardware to decode the video stream.

You might have also deleted an essential app in your app cull.
This is the first time and only time I have ever heard of the Ipad Mini 5 not working with DJI Go

Also what is your Ipad Mini 5 model number ?
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.. Yes I have done a factory reset, that was the first thing I done, I did not copy or need any old apps across to the new Ipad 5.. I want it just for the drone, yes I did cull a lot of the apps just in case any were eating the memory away, do you know which ones I should have kept?? the model number mux72b/a ...It is the cellular version.

Thanks again, keep safe - Len

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.. Yes I have done a factory reset, that was the first thing I done, I did not copy or need any old apps across to the new Ipad 5.. I want it just for the drone, yes I did cull a lot of the apps just in case any were eating the memory away, do you know which ones I should have kept?? the model number mux72b/a ...It is the cellular version.

Thanks again, keep safe - Len

Unfortunately I don't know which apps are essential, but do a reset and this will re-install all the default apps.
When it restarts with all the content and settings erased, DON'T restore it from a back-up.
  • It might be a good idea to create a new Apple ID so that there is no relationship to the other account.
  • During the set-up process don't select any option that allow the automatic set-up of the Mini 5 from your other Ipad
  • Go through all the set-up steps as if you have never used an apple device
  • DON'T update the IOS to latest version, there night be compatibility problem as DJI Go is an old app
  • Then install DJI Go
I think the issue might be the version of IOS the Mini 5 is using and it's compatibility with DJI Go
I notice the Ipad mini 5 is not on the supported devices list.

1598611708198.png

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't know which apps are essential, but do a reset and this will re-install all the default apps.
When it restarts with all the content and settings erased, DON'T restore it from a back-up.
  • It might be a good idea to create a new Apple ID so that there is no relationship to the other account.
  • During the set-up process don't select any option that allow the automatic set-up of the Mini 5 from your other Ipad
  • Go through all the set-up steps as if you have never used an apple device
  • DON'T update the IOS to latest version, there night be compatibility problem as DJI Go is an old app
  • Then install DJI Go
I think the issue might be the version of IOS the Mini 5 is using and it's compatibility with DJI Go
I notice the Ipad mini 5 is not on the supported devices list.

View attachment 119847

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.. Just back from hols....
Yes I have done a reset as above not installed anything other than the DJI ap and still does the same.. I think you may have put the nail on the head, as when I put on my old Samsung it is fine, but I have had that apart a few time new battery etc so don't want to rely on that one..I am also thinking that there is something wrong with the AC as stated up to see if problem still exist today with iPad mini 5 the battery on the AC was 2.5 lights about 52 odd % critical warning came up and AC descended straight away luckily I was in my garden and only a few feet of the ground, so thinking may be AC is the cause of the problems..What doe everyone have there critical and low battery warning set to??? twice this as now happened..

Thanks again for help

Stay safe Len

Hi All,

Just wondering now if I have made a very expensive mistake in buying a new iPad Mini 5 for my P3P I have now sorted the quiz problem, but the iPad lags terribly when recording, the screen keeps refreshing, and sometime half the screen goes black trying to catch up, I can turn the gimble left and right up and down, but the picture on screen stays there until it catches up..I have turned on cache etc and off, but still the same, I have also got a new fast memory card to try. It does not happen on my old Samsung. Just now wondering if I made an expensive mistake in buying the IPad mini 5 I have not installed any other programs other than the DJI GO app, I have even removed some installed programs I do not use. Am I doing something wrong?? or should I have gone with a new Samsung..

Any help as always is much appreciated.

Stay safe Len
try a different cable

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic