iPad mini 4g or wifi? Is it worth the money?

Reaction score
Hi guys is there any reason to spend the extra money on the 4g version with data or do you find its sufficient with the wifi version? Looking for any pros and or cons of possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A pro of the cellular version is that it comes with GPS. And, you don't need to activate the cellular service in order to use the GPS.

Kind of confused on that statement. If I don't have cell service does the map still update on my device or does it need a connection?

O never mind I just got it. Basically the gps works with my drone even though I don't have the cell service activated. Makes sense. What about size of the iPad mini. Do you find that a 16gb is enough space?

O never mind I just got it. Basically the gps works with my drone even though I don't have the cell service activated. Makes sense. What about size of the iPad mini. Do you find that a 16gb is enough space?

Space is largely irrelevant -(unless you intend storing a lot of video on it)-, the main point of having the GPS is so that you can set the controller as the home point.

You need an Internet connection in order to load the map images. You can do that before you go out flying though. Just scroll around on the map in the location and at the zoom level you'll be flying. The map images will download and will be available later when you're out flying with no Internet connection.

16 GB is plenty if you're only going to use it for your Phantom.

Amazon has used 128gig cell&wifi iPad 3 for $400. Got mine today works great and saved 300$

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know where you live but here in Florida during the summer I have a lot of what I assume are heat issues with my ipad mini 2. I flew through 5 batteries last Saturday and lost video feed to the mini frequently but never to my Pix 240 which was connected via hdmi cable. I do have ATT cell service on my mini but I always fly in airplane mode after I acquire the map of my current location. Hardware decode on or off seems to have no effect on maintaining output. I am up to date with all firmware.

Last edited:
My recommendation is Mini 2 4G and the largest size affordable, at least 32Gb. I made the mistake of buying a 16gb wifi only, it is extremely limited as you start with only ~11Gb free left. Wifi only is annoying mostly due to not being able to use internet anywhere without draining a phones battery through hotspot. GPS/Map is less of an issue as you can buy an external gps or cache the maps, but still annoying.

I bought a 4G Mini 2 64Gb for $300 recently. Not selling the wifi because it is worth less than $160 used.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues