iPad Mini 4

D

DrewFlies

Bought my iPad Mini 3 almost a month ago. It has served me quite well. Very little complaints.

Has anybody tried the iPad Mini 4 yet? Still overheating issues? How is the video feedback?

I'm got my iPad mini 4 today. Haven't flown with it yet. Has a faster more power efficient processor. Should be fine. I always hear about over heating but what is the issue? Does the app freeze? Or just the iPad get warm?

I'm got my iPad mini 4 today. Haven't flown with it yet. Has a faster more power efficient processor. Should be fine. I always hear about over heating but what is the issue? Does the app freeze? Or just the iPad get warm?
Reports have stated laggy fpv and app disconnect/crash (app).

I have an iPad Air (not Air 2), not got my P3P yet, I'm thinking if it will be powerful enough or shall I upgrade to an Air2 (was going to go Mini 4, until I read the above!)

Yip picked up the iPad mini 4 yesterday. Runs sweet, video feed fantastic, and running cool. And running Autopilot flight logic with a two barometer environment ( device and P3) altimetry is very tight.

Apple iOS devices in general are known to overheat especially when using out in direct sun. Android devices compared to Apple at leas Android doesn't pop up with a screen that says the device is too hot and must cool down. You literally have to wait til it cools down. Can be quite a headache when your out at a gig. It hasn't happened to me with my iPad Mini 3 yet. But, sometimes it does get hot pretty fast. I know eventually it will happen depending where I am, how hot it is at the time and how long I'm flying.

I bought the Mini4 specifically for the P3P. It work beautifully. No lag. Bright screen and well balanced. The only concern I have is the reflective screen is a little tough to see on very bright days. I am wondering if there is an overlay film that can be added or easily removed that can be placed over the screen on those days you need to dampen the reflectivity?

I bought the Mini4 specifically for the P3P. It work beautifully. No lag. Bright screen and well balanced. The only concern I have is the reflective screen is a little tough to see on very bright days. I am wondering if there is an overlay film that can be added or easily removed that can be placed over the screen on those days you need to dampen the reflectivity?

Get a HoodiVision PatHat mini.

hoodivision

When people are stating they have a Mini4, are they speaking of the mini4 with cellular? or just wifi? I spoke with DJI tech, and they stated that when it came to the mini4, cellular was needed for the GPS function. Not the most happy camper since I don't really feel like ponying up the extra case for the cellular version if it's not needed...

Last edited:
Since early June with Apple Mini 2, 16gb, WIFI tethered to my Droid hot spot, using IOS 8.4 and the DJI Pilot (whatever version it was at the time) worked perfect all summer until Sept 8 (or so) with releases of IOS 9.xx and initial release of Go. Then it went to *ell. Sitting on the lunch pad the FPV would lag and then start to black out. All fall, it was screwed up I had no fun flying and the only advice I was getting was that it was pilot error or that no one else has this problem.

I have since updated to the Mini 4 16 gb, cellular with Go 2.4.1, FW 1.4.1 with RC 1.4.3 and I select a custom channel and it again flies like a dream machine, just like it did all summer.

I don't know what corrected the problems, but I know that the combination I am now flying works great (probable 10-12 flights out to 6200') and it is with a Mini 4.

Sitting on the lunch pad the FPV would lag and then start to black out..

<Adam Savage voice> Well, there's your problem.....! </Adam savage voice>

:D

Reactions: Oso
Nushied
Nushield

Since early June with Apple Mini 2, 16gb, WIFI tethered to my Droid hot spot, using IOS 8.4 and the DJI Pilot (whatever version it was at the time) worked perfect all summer until Sept 8 (or so) with releases of IOS 9.xx and initial release of Go. Then it went to *ell. Sitting on the lunch pad the FPV would lag and then start to black out. All fall, it was screwed up I had no fun flying and the only advice I was getting was that it was pilot error or that no one else has this problem.

I have since updated to the Mini 4 16 gb, cellular with Go 2.4.1, FW 1.4.1 with RC 1.4.3 and I select a custom channel and it again flies like a dream machine, just like it did all summer.

I don't know what corrected the problems, but I know that the combination I am now flying works great (probable 10-12 flights out to 6200') and it is with a Mini 4.

I am thinking about getting the iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi only and using the HotSpot from my iPhone 6 Plus. Would that be fine or is the cellular version that important?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4