IPad Mini 4 - W or WO Cellular Service

Reaction score
Haven't had my first flight yet and I thought I read the answer to this question on this site but I can't find anything with a search.

Do I need cellular service with the Pad ? If so what function does it preform.

The one I purchased (direct from Apple) does NOT have cellular. Am I going to be returning it ???

You do not need cellular service. The functions it performs if one does have it, is to provide real time map data (like google or here maps) which I repeat is not required, and can be achieved by connecting iPad wifi to a local Hotspot created by a smartphone if you really wanted to. Also an iPad with no cell has no GPS built in, so 'follow-me' which requires GPS can't be used (no big deal IMHO) and similarly, updating home location after takeoff is also restricted as no GPS in app device.

I fly with an iPad mini 3, no cell connection - no problems, works like a charm [emoji4].

Reactions: jwmcgrath
You do not need cellular service. The functions it performs if one does have it, is to provide real time map data (like google or here maps) which I repeat is not required, and can be achieved by connecting iPad wifi to a local Hotspot created by a smartphone if you really wanted to. Also an iPad with no cell has no GPS built in, so 'follow-me' which requires GPS can't be used (no big deal IMHO) and similarly, updating home location after takeoff is also restricted as no GPS in app device.

I fly with an iPad mini 3, no cell connection - no problems, works like a charm [emoji4].
Without gps in the ipad you can still update the homepoint but only to the current location of the drone and not the controller.
Again, this is something you would rarely use, if ever.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic