iPad mini 4 or Nvidia Shield k1

Reaction score
My P3P is in the mail. Sold my P2 with zenmuse gimbal and FPV setup to buy the newer. I'm a little worried about FPV lag after coming from a 5.8 ghz setup.

Anyway, I've spent the last 2 days looking at getting a tablet for my P3P. I have a Galaxy S6 phone that should work' but I'm looking at getting something with a larger screen that is dedicated to the phantom.

Everything I have read says Nvidia Shield is the best android tablet..K1 version is currently for sale after the recall. iPad mini 4 and IPad Air 2 are top recommended apple products.

My question is, which device will perform better as a FPV device. least lag, best picture. I have both apple and android devices in my household so I am not partial to either. I like the fact that the Shield comes with a micro sd port and HDMI output. I'm hoping that I can pop that card out of the Phantom and put it in the shield and be playing it on my 4K TV within minutes of landing via a HDMI cable.

Anyway, please to try convince me to buy one or the other. I would like to have one by this weekend...just need help deciding which.

I had the same debate for the past 3 weeks. but i settled on the K1.
I have been flying with a Iphone 6S- which is great and all- would love a Mini 4 but I just could not justify the price of a new one +Cellular for the GPS option.

£150 for the K1, vs £419 Mini 4

My K1 is in the post- can't want for it to arrive (BTW if you're based in the UK- the K1 is selling like hot cakes!)

I currently use a iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 4 but today I decided to order a Nvidia Shield K1 I really do miss the screen recorder App since Apple iOS 9.2 cannot use Shou to record your screen.

I normally use an iPad Mini 2, but my Nvidia Shield K1 performs just as well. Since the iPad Mini 4 has a better processor, I would expect it to work just as well as an iPad Mini 2. The UI in the DJI GO app seems to be a bit more polished in the Apple version, so that's what I prefer to use. You really cannot go wrong with either choice though.

Has anyone actually used the iPad mini 4 and Nvidia shield k1. Hoping to hear from someone who has and what they liked/disliked about each.

Shield k1 for me. Brilliant, apart from a hyper active compass so if you use the map/radar a lot it can be a challenge making sure your pointing in the right direction. Superb screen though, and runs everything perfectly.

QUOTE="Wacker2611, post: 597842, member: 36543"]Shield k1 for me. Brilliant, apart from a hyper active compass so if you use the map/radar a lot it can be a challenge making sure your pointing in the right direction. Superb screen though, and runs everything perfectly.[/QUOTE]
Anyway to fix that issue.

I have the K1 in my Amazon cart along with a sun shade....Will wait till tomorrow to hear some more feedback on mini 4 before I commit. Wacker, have you found or heard of any way to fix the compass? Do you think it can be fixed with an update or is it a hardware issue?

I'm on 2nd K1, first one had a on/off switch fault, this one is great, for the price save the money over Apple and buy an extra smart battery

im sticking with apple devices persionally. They hold their value, and tend to be more reliable.

For the extra $ I would buy the mini 4 if I had some confirmation that the video was better, smoother, less laggy...Just haven't heard if it is better yet..

I have the K1 in my Amazon cart along with a sun shade....Will wait till tomorrow to hear some more feedback on mini 4 before I commit. Wacker, have you found or heard of any way to fix the compass? Do you think it can be fixed with an update or is it a hardware issue?
To be frank, I've only mentioned it as it is its only fault. Initially i used an iPad air 2 which was great, but that's our kitchen table tablet and everyone wants to use it. So I bought a 2013 Nexus 7 which was good but my wife dropped it which led me to the Shield. The lively compass is just s very minor annoyance and with a bit of jiggling it soon orientates itself. Its just very sensitive to movement.....Almost too accurate! Don't let that put you off what is the best value tablet on the market,, particularly if it's dedicated. It's about to get the Android 6.0 update too.

Well, the Nexus upgraded itself to 6.0 just before it got smashed to smithereens and it worked beautifully on both Go and Litchi.

Would you say the shield worked as good as the iPad Air 2. Obviously the air 2 screen is bigger, but as far as latency and video quality? I was considering getting the air2 but thought it would be a bit big to use every time I wanted to take the drone somewhere. I might wait till they come out with an air 3 and update our house iPad to that....and when I want a big screen for the drone use that one.

Reactions: Reed L
There's no doubt that the big screen on the Air2 is a bit of a treat. But like you say, it weighs a ton and is a bit unwieldy. Added to the fact that I wanted something a bit more 'disposable' for out in the field. In terms of lag/latency/video quality on the Shield, I haven't had a single problem. As you probably know there is lag on all devices, but it's so tiny on the Shield that it's barely noticeable, and at least as good as the Air.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll probably be ordering the Shield tonight. Have you guys done long range flights with good results on these devices? I doubt I'll be going out farther than 1000 meters very often, but hope the quality is good if I do make a long run from time to time.

Yup no problems there either. I'm not a massive range flyer either but occasionally get to 2km without a hiccup.

I'm currently using the iPhone 6s plus, but just ordered my Nvidia Shield K1 with delivery for Saturday! Woohoo!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic