iPad Mini 4 - bending

Reaction score
Work has provided me with an iPad 4 Mini for use with the P4 Pro drone. I'm not a big Apple fan, but hey ... a tablet is a tablet, and it works well with the P4. This tablet is dedicated to the drone, so I don't use it for anything else. It lives inside an Incipio leather/plastic case. It is stored inside the GPC case with the drone, in the slot designed for it. When out for charging, it stays in its leather case. The only time it is out of the case is when it is attached to the P4 remote. After use, it goes back in the leather case, and then into the GPC case.

After having it less than 3 weeks, the tablet is bent. Are you kidding me?

Is this just something iPads do? I know the phones had a warp problem that Apple blamed on people putting the phones in their back pockets. Obviously this iPad can't fit in my pocket, and I can't imagine anything else I can be doing to protect it.

Anyone else have this issue and / or know how I can keep it from warping further?

No. I do not know but I'm interested in any comments. Reason is I'm like you a Android guy and I'm looking to buy a iPad 4 mini because people say it works well with the phantom series. I would be really upset if I bought one and it bends and I'm a little rougher with my things then you are. Sorry that happened to you.

Work has provided me with an iPad 4 Mini for use with the P4 Pro drone. I'm not a big Apple fan, but hey ... a tablet is a tablet, and it works well with the P4. This tablet is dedicated to the drone, so I don't use it for anything else. It lives inside an Incipio leather/plastic case. It is stored inside the GPC case with the drone, in the slot designed for it. When out for charging, it stays in its leather case. The only time it is out of the case is when it is attached to the P4 remote. After use, it goes back in the leather case, and then into the GPC case.

After having it less than 3 weeks, the tablet is bent. Are you kidding me?

Is this just something iPads do? I know the phones had a warp problem that Apple blamed on people putting the phones in their back pockets. Obviously this iPad can't fit in my pocket, and I can't imagine anything else I can be doing to protect it.

Anyone else have this issue and / or know how I can keep it from warping further?
Wow yep my samsung tab a 8" has taken slight curved shape ,i notice one day when sd card not slide in and out like it used to,not bad but when holding up ,you can see it bent

Ipads don't bend, you much have exerted some pressure on it somehow in storage. Is your GPC case a hard case? Have you determined it's not getting squished somehow in the GPC case?

I'm an Android fan myself, but gave up with Android because my wife's iPad worked so well with my Phantom. Now I have two Ipads, Mini2 and Air 2. Both have worked flawlessly and never shown any signs of warping or bending. Are you sure it wasn't bent when your employer gave it to you? Have you asked the previous owner at work?

It's this case: DJI Phantom 4 Props Case | GPC, Inc. As you can see, there is a slot in the right side designed specifically for the tablet.

The iPad was brand new in the box when received, and was not warped.
The slot for the tablet is pretty close to the bottom of the cast, appears to be about 3/4" from the bottom. By chance, maybe you dropped the case on the corner of a brick planter, or other hard sharp corner. Are there marks on the bottom of the case where the iPad sits? Since it appears to be a snug fit for the iPad to slide into the firm foam slot, this would contribute to potential bending if the case gets an impact from the bottom, such as mishandling if you checked the case when flying (without batteries of course) on airlines. I would never check this case on an airline with the iPad in it's provided slot, vulnerable to damage being so close to the bottom. This GPC design isn't optimal IMO.

upload_2017-9-29_13-59-36.png

Last edited:
Wow yep my samsung tab a 8" has taken slight curved shape ,i notice one day when sd card not slide in and out like it used to,not bad but when holding up ,you can see it bent
1506718597426-969266696.jpg
yes me bench is flat

By chance, to you use the same GPC hard case?
Hi no never came with hard case or anything,hope me 10" dont do same,they always just sit flat in me drone box or in me tablet holder,even tablet holder on remote not have that much pressure ,still works ok,,just done its own thing

Never seen an iPad bend I have a few...

The case has never been checked baggage. It literally travels from my office to the car and back.

I guess we'll chalk it up to gremlins.

Thanks, y'all

Family has 6 iPads between us, I’ve never seen one bend...

From a physics standpoint, it’s not going to bend spontaneously, so whether it’s a phone in a pocket, or unnoticed impact, SOMETHING physically bent it.

Family has 6 iPads between us, I’ve never seen one bend...

From a physics standpoint, it’s not going to bend spontaneously, so whether it’s a phone in a pocket, or unnoticed impact, SOMETHING physically bent it.
Gezz i dont recall bending mine,,might be some cheap plastic about from the cheapest bidder on the parts department

This is just flat out insane. Since I noticed the warping, I have never put it back into the drone carry case. It stays in it's Incipio folio and I never use the thing other than with the P4P because I have no reason to use it. It was purchased specifically for use with the drone. Yet, the warp is getting worse. Literally leaving the thing sitting here for a week without touching it, and the warp is worse now than it was before.

I've alerted our IS department so it's documented. Eventually this thing is going to stop working, and I wanted it documented with them that something is obviously wrong. Since the City bought the iPad, the folio case, the drone / controller, and the hardshell carry case, this is gonna be on them if something they bought is damaging their iPad.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1