ipad mini 2 wifi only

Reaction score
Hi guys, i would like to ask you some question.. I'm italian so i'm sorry about my orrible english.
I have an ipad mini 2 with Wi-Fi only and i'm going to buy a phantom 3 pro, which limitations will i have with no cellular connection? should i buy an ipad with 3g/4g?

You will not have a map in DJI GO if using away from home / wifi signal unless you cache the map first but it does not always work.

You will not be able to use follow me functonality as that requires GPS which an iPad Mini 2 WIFI only does not have.

If you can buy the 3G / 4G version for GPS alone as that is useful. You do not need a data plan for GPS to work.

Reactions: Tommaso Bigoni
I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro (WiFi only). Then, I turn on the Personal Hotspot on my iPhone. The tab connects to the WiFi and GPS and maps work beautifully. Follow me works fine this way too. Some of you may be concerned about interference, but just use the DJI config files then, set your channel manually. It resolved the video freezing up issue for me.

You will not have a map in DJI GO if using away from home / wifi signal unless you cache the map first but it does not always work.

You will not be able to use follow me functonality as that requires GPS which an iPad Mini 2 WIFI only does not have.

If you can buy the 3G / 4G version for GPS alone as that is useful. You do not need a data plan for GPS to work.

Just to be clear, if I get a new iPad wifi + cellular, I will not need a data plan to use all the functions of the Phantom 3 Professional?

Hi guys, i would like to ask you some question.. I'm italian so i'm sorry about my orrible english.
I have an ipad mini 2 with Wi-Fi only and i'm going to buy a phantom 3 pro, which limitations will i have with no cellular connection? should i buy an ipad with 3g/4g?

Get your phantom and use it with the iPad mini 2, then decide. You might not need cellular, depending on what your doing.

Just to be clear, if I get a new iPad wifi + cellular, I will not need a data plan to use all the functions of the Phantom 3 Professional?
You wont need a data plan to use the GPS at RC required functions. The Phantom itself of course already has GPS for its needs.

If you want to be able to access new maps in the field or do things like live streaming, you will need to tether for internet access or have a data plan. If you are fine without Live Streaming and also fine with caching maps at home via wifi, you're good without a data plan.

You can also try a wifi only iPad with an external bluetooth GPS which has been mentioned in this thread and dozens of times in the forum. External GPS is more accurate than the built in GPS. Plus, if you have external GPS you can upgrade your tablet over time and not need to spend extra to get the cellular version each time you upgrade. The down side of course is that its one more thing to carry and make sure is charged, but you may not need it every time if you dont often use the GPS at RC functions.

Don't forget that you can also look at various Android based tablets. Most have GPS already.

Last edited:
I have ipad mini 2 without cellular. no issues whatsoever. even w/o a cached map, it shows homepoint and water features around me.

Yes, you do not need a data plan if you want to use the follow me function in DJI GO or the operator focused modes in Autoflight Logic.

External GPS receivers are fine but often the cost of them is close to the difference between a wifi only and cellular version of an iPad and you have something else to charge, remember and carry around.

Reactions: Roverggm

how can i cache the map first?

how can i cache the map first?
Ciao Tommaso. Its very simple. Connect at home via wifi. Open the GO app. Go to the map in the GO app and scroll around in the area you want to fly later. Zoom as much as you can for the most detail, but also be sure to get the areas all around. The maps remain cached for a few weeks.

Reactions: JoBe and nosisme
Ciao Tommaso. Its very simple. Connect at home via wifi. Open the GO app. Go to the map in the GO app and scroll around in the area you want to fly later. Zoom as much as you can for the most detail, but also be sure to get the areas all around. The maps remain cached for a few weeks.
thanks oso ;)

I don't think non-cellular radio ipads have GPS chips. You WILL need a GPS chip or additional GPS receiver for your tablet if it doesn't have one. You will not need a cellular connection for your tablet's GPS chip to work however.

I was shocked to find that Apple cheaped out like this.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj