iPad glare screen

Reaction score
Anyone know of any iPad glare shields that are available? I have a iPad 3 and it is almost unreadable in direct sunlight.

I use my iPad2 on a tripod. I've found that using it landscape with polarized sunglasses that even in bright sunlight I can still see the screen fine. I play with the tilt on it to get the best view, but it works.

My vision is not good, especially in bright sunlight. My solution, which works great for me, goes like this:

1. $10 thrift store tripod
2. use a 1/4 inch or similar nut/bolt/washer to attach a 16 inch square of 3/8" plywood to the tripod's head.
3. using cardboard and duct tape, fashion a 3 sided box to sit on the plywood base. The sides of my box are cut at an angle of about 45 degrees. (I'll post a photo later today.)
4. paint the interior of the box with matte black spray paint.
5. optional: use Velcro to attach the cardboard "shadow box" to the plywood.

When preparing a mission I just position the tripod/box so that it faces away from the sun. Works great and can be adjusted to knee level if you want to fly while seated.

easy buy the carl zeiss cinemizers , ya can still view over or under while take off and when shes gone ya have the best FPV ever ,, cant see a dam thing on either ipad mini or ipad , with all the sun shields in the world , yall still get a load glare. i use the hdmi with iphone 5 s as the picture is full screen on the cinemizers , only comes up 4.3 on the ipads . any how i only look at the iphone when i need to select options like camera angle etc

As a proffessional filmaker, we deal with looking at screens in daylight all the time. The best solution after cinemizers or moverios is buy a large black golf umbrella. We attach them to an industry standard "C" stand. You stand in front of the opened umbrella. You will have a perfect picture on your screen now. If its windy, use a 10 pound sand bag to weigh down the base. You can also use a small rain umbrella ( the type that pop open automatically and the handle extends. You stick the handle in a back pack and stuff it with some old clothes to hold the umbrella firmly...The beauty of the large umbrella is that you can place it so its behind and over you, and this allows you to even shade your eyes from the bright scene in front of you so your eyes are not fighting the different luminance levels of reality and fpv virtual world

I'd considered using a golf umbrella but the combined weight and bulk of umbrella + stand is more than I want to deal with, especially when I'm packing my Phantom through forests and brushy wetlands.

Sticking a smaller umbrella in a backpack is a novel idea but you'd then have to juggle both the iPad and radio while flying. (I never put my radio down while flying with the GS -- just in case I need to retake control quickly.)

The Cinemizers ($800!!) may be great for FPV but they would do nothing to reduce glare on the iPad. How would these help you set up and monitor a mission via the iPad in full sun?

Until someone comes up with an affordable and even more portable solution, I'll stick with my DIY cardboard box. And by the way... it does an excellent job of shading the iPad in full sunlight. Also, with the iPad in the shaded box at chest level I can walk away from it as needed to keep the Phantom within LOS.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj