iPad Air vs iPad Air 2: Worth The Upgrade for P3P?

Reaction score
How many of you have gone from the Air to the Air 2 and are glad you did? What made the experience better for you? I've read lots of comments from people who have great things to say about using the Air 2 with their birds. I'm trying to talk myself into upgrading to the 2 and Best Buy has the 128gb version on sale for $100 off right now. I just missed Staples $150 off sale.

Thanks for your time.

I'm using my iPhone 6 and thinking about going to the iPad mini 4. Has the barometer that is used with some software apps. I'll be interested to see what comments you get from this post

On a side note. Does the barometer work the same if it's in a case? Anyone know?

I have an iPhone 6 as well and just bought the iPad Mini 4 and it's awesome. Super fast and screen is a great size. Much lighter and more portable than my older iPad. The air is great if you need the bigger screen, but for me this screen is big enough and find I take it with me more often because of the minis size. Can't go wrong with either one

How many of you have gone from the Air to the Air 2 and are glad you did? What made the experience better for you? I've read lots of comments from people who have great things to say about using the Air 2 with their birds. I'm trying to talk myself into upgrading to the 2 and Best Buy has the 128gb version on sale for $100 off right now. I just missed Staples $150 off sale.

Thanks for your time.

You will see improvements when viewing in daylight at the Air 2 has a better brighter screen than the Air. Also CPU improvements so the FPV experience will be ever so slightly smoother, though that within itself is not enough to justify getting a whole new iPad for maybe. Though the combined improvements in screen clarity and brightness combined with it being a little bit smoother as I've heard from others who've made the jump, may be worth while. Also the Air 2 will be able to do split screen multi tasking on iOS 9 so added bonus.

Reactions: PhillyAnt
I think the Mini 4 isn't a bad idea, but I am upgrading my iPhone 6 to a 6s Plus and think they are just too close in size to warrant the Mini. I love having a full sized iPad. From what I understand, the iPad Air 2 is a little lighter than the iPad Air, has the barometer built in, plus the faster processor. It also has something that helps deal with the heat. I believe the iPad Air 2 is still more powerful than the Mini 4.

How many of you have gone from the Air to the Air 2 and...
Thanks for your time.

I bought a used air 1 and happy with it. If I had the money I would for sure go for the air 2. It has insane performance. If you would ever want to do more then just view the live video, then you should upgrade. For example, if you want to record the screen as you fly. It takes a lot of processing power to do that. I'm also keeping in mind that lightbridge 2 is out there now and I believe it will be a part of phantom 4. It has a lag of only 50ms vs 220ms and 1080p vs 720p in lightbridge 1. That means your ipad will have to have more processing power to deal with that.
I say you should buy it. Sell yours on ebay and the gap won't be too much :)

Reactions: PhillyAnt
The cool thing is I have $465 in Best Buy Reward Zone certificates saved up. I wanted to use them on a new 4k TV but they would allow me to buy a 128gb 4G iPad Air 2 for $264. Tempting. The last few times I flew my bird, my video was very laggy and I'm hoping getting the Air 2 will fix this.

Just upgraded from Galaxy Tab 10" to Air 2 so I can't answer your comparison question directly. I can, however, vouch for the Air 2 working flawlessly with the P3P. I have gained new confidence because I'm no longer worried about lags and app crashes. Did four flights in the last couple of evenings with no skips or lags. It's also nice not to have to kill apps or turn off caching to make it work.

I just purchased an iPad Air 2 WiFi/Cellular from RC Willey as they currently have them for $150 Off. Total price for an iPad Air 2 64GB with Cellular is $579.00 before tax. My son works for Apple and said this is a great deal.

From what I have read, there is a video editing app for 4K video that only runs on the air 2 processor or higher, A8X SoC, with a separate GPU. I have a friend that always has to have the latest and greatest, and buys the best he can find with all the options. He sold me an Air 2 64 Gig with cellular and a neat mophie charging stand for $500. Has the original box, and you can't pick it over a new one if they are side by side.

I can gladly post how it goes editing 4K video, but as far as comparing it to other Ipads, the only other one I've ever used is an original Ipad 2, and I don't think it will even run DJI Go.

I started off with an iPad Mini 3, & it was nice. Awesome small, well designed package. But it overheated. And that is not a good thing.
So I returned it, and upgraded to the iPad Air 2 Cellular. Also felt the need for a improved device holder, so purchased an Inspire 1 holder.
This combination, has been the greatest thing since sliced tomatoes.
Such a worthy grouping of the three components that make it whole.
I feel fortunate and lucky to have one of the trouble free, never a problem units. Just charge and go. Plug and play. Do Flying. . . ;-)
Imagination is simple again. Daydreaming is freedom.

RecHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl