iPad Air II

Reaction score
I have an iPad Air that works fine with the P3P but I want to buy a dedicated iPad for the aircraft. The Air II seems to be a popular choice but I have heard some folks say they opted for the cellular as they say that the GPS or some such improves the experience of using the iPad with the P3P.

Now, if it was using cell triangulation, I could understand it getting more accuracy but I also see folks admonishing users to turn the cell feature off.

So, what is the real deal here. Does having the cellular option represent an improvement with regard to operating a P3P? If so, why?

TIA!

GPS allows you to set the controller as the home point, and also lets you use the new "follow me" setting in the app.

Not exactly the same, but I bought a dedicated iPad Mini 2 with cellular data ability (which includes a GPS) for my P3P. I didn't buy a data plan with it. I tether it via wifi to my iPhone 6+ if I want the map to update in DJI GO.

When I don't tether my Mini 2 to the iPhone, all I seem to lose is map data such as streets and/or satellite pics. Not having an active data connection on the iPad Mini 2 affects my flying in no way.

You can enjoy the P3 very much with a wifi only iPad. You just can't use all of the available functionality. Follow the link below for a high level summary of the options. Please feel free to correct any oversights.

Personally, I never worry about turning cellular off unless I am simply trying to conserve battery.

Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO | Page 21 | DJI Phantom Forum

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
Excellent. Thank you!

So there is no GPS on an iPad unless you add cellular? Is then location services implemented through IP proximity only instead of GPS?

Also, what is this external GPS of which you speak?

Last edited:
Excellent. Thank you!

So there is no GPS on an iPad unless you add cellular? Is then location services implemented through IP proximity only instead of GPS?

Also, what is this external GPS of which you speak?
Correct. No GPS on wifi only iPads whereas almost all Android tablets do have GPS. With the wifi only iPads, location services use proximity only which is not good enough for the GPS at RC required functions of the P3.

Yes, you can use an external (bluetooth) GPS with a wifi only tablet. There are many threads on the topic. It seems that the most talked about here on the forum are Bad Elf, Dual and the Garmin GLO. Just search and you will see plenty to read for research if you want to look into that option.

One thing to watch for: iOS 8.3 broke the ability for an external GPS to transfer data. It was fixed with iOS 8.4 and later, and still works in iOS 8.2 and earlier. It is only iOS 8.3 with the issue.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
Correct. No GPS on wifi only iPads whereas almost all Android tablets do have GPS. With the wifi only iPads, location services use proximity only which is not good enough for the GPS at RC required functions of the P3.

Yes, you can use an external (bluetooth) GPS with a wifi only tablet. There are many threads on the topic. It seems that the most talked about here on the forum are Bad Elf, Dual and the Garmin GLO. Just search and you will see plenty to read for research if you want to look into that option.

Cheers!

Excellent! Thanks!

Now, if it was using cell triangulation, I could understand it getting more accuracy but I also see folks admonishing users to turn the cell feature off.

So, what is the real deal here. Does having the cellular option represent an improvement with regard to operating a P3P? If so, why?
I assume you mean A-GPS (assisted GPS), not triangulation.
The A-GPS needs a connection to a cell tower in order to provide the "assist" part.

Most GPS receivers in phones have this functionality (A-GPS).
With a connection to the cell tower you can then get:
- faster lock to satellites ("time to fix") after that the GPS is turned on
- higher precision positioning through correction data from network or cell towers

But I don't think having an A-GPS in your phone in anyway improves the P3 positioning, it only improves the positioning of the phone itself.

Reactions: B- Scene Films
For me, the Air II Wifi+3g model is totally worth it. It's nice to be able to update your home point, have it follow you, even if you don't use the cell connection to stream or get maps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.