iPad Air 2 vs mini 3

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been a long time android user and will continue to use my android phone, but for my P3 which is on order I was thinking of getting an iPad Air 2 or mini 3 to use with the P3. How unwieldy is the controller with the larger pad? My interest is photography and I thought the larger screen would be better but how difficult is to use in bright daylight and to hold the controller as well. Would I be better going with the smaller screen mini? I was thinking of using newer model rather than an older version of the ipad.

Thanks for any opinions and experience.

Alan

I've used both and was surprised at the fact that the Air 2 isn't much difference w/ regard to its size/weight . The mini wasn't bright enough for me, even when using a shade.

Mark.

Once my Mini 2 started to fail/lag in the hot summer, I switched to an Air 2. There is no comparison in my mind. The Air 2 is much much better for me. It is not too large at all, and the screen is awesome. I can even see it outside in the sun.

Yesterday I added the Inspire mount to replace the stock P3 plastic mount. I wasnt expecting too much difference but I was wrong. The Inspire mount is much better for me.

Reactions: sergekouper
I had an Android (Moto X), but it was not near enough bright to use with the controller. I bought an Air 2 and it made all the difference in the world. With the Air 2 I can see clearly what I am doing and it is not any more awkward to use than with a smart phone. The Air 2 is well worth the investment.

Started with a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, video lag & crashes, and (I thought) not too visible in bright sunlight. So, I bought an Air 2... The Air 2 app was great, no Lag, better features IMHO than the Android (i.e. help when setting up live streaming). Yes, streaming actually worked great. I was sold on IOS for the Pilot app however, the brightness outside was terrible (only 256 PPI for the Ipad Air 2), compared to 350+ with the Tab Pro. Even with a anti-glare screen protector on both the Air was no match for the Samsung or even my Iphone 6 (which was better than both). That wasn't acceptable, so I returned the Air 2 and purchased a Mini 3. The mini has 326 PPI, and it is brighter than the Air 2. In the sunlight the Mini 3 (with a BodyGuardz pure glass ant-glare) is actually a bit better than the Samsung (also with anti-glare SP). Yet to fly the Mini 3 (hopefully tomorrow). Sun Shade on the way w/12 days left to return the Mini if I'm not satisfied. Hoping I dont have to pay the re-stocking fee again, and wait for the Mini 4 to come out. Form factor for the Mini is more favorable to me vs the Air 2, especially when you add a sun shade.

Yesterday I added the Inspire mount to replace the stock P3 plastic mount. I wasnt expecting too much difference but I was wrong. The Inspire mount is much better for me.
Totally agree on the $30 all aluminum Inspire tablet mount as one of the best upgrades to the P3 transmitter, to replace the flimsy plastic stock P3 tablet mount. :cool:

Reactions: Oso
Started with a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, video lag & crashes, and (I thought) not too visible in bright sunlight. So, I bought an Air 2... The Air 2 app was great, no Lag, better features IMHO than the Android (i.e. help when setting up live streaming). Yes, streaming actually worked great. I was sold on IOS for the Pilot app however, the brightness outside was terrible (only 256 PPI for the Ipad Air 2), compared to 350+ with the Tab Pro. Even with a anti-glare screen protector on both the Air was no match for the Samsung or even my Iphone 6 (which was better than both). That wasn't acceptable, so I returned the Air 2 and purchased a Mini 3. The mini has 326 PPI, and it is brighter than the Air 2. In the sunlight the Mini 3 (with a BodyGuardz pure glass ant-glare) is actually a bit better than the Samsung (also with anti-glare SP). Yet to fly the Mini 3 (hopefully tomorrow). Sun Shade on the way w/12 days left to return the Mini if I'm not satisfied. Hoping I dont have to pay the re-stocking fee again, and wait for the Mini 4 to come out. Form factor for the Mini is more favorable to me vs the Air 2, especially when you add a sun shade.
You do know that PPI is not a measure of brightness, right? The Air 2 is brighter than the Mini 3 at every tested percentage level, and is also 3 times less reflective than the Mini 3. No contest which is better outdoors. Of course if you just want a smaller screen, that's a different story. You should try the Mini. I did at first, but it was basically a mirror outdoors. A shade helped a bit, but I just don't like a big bulky shade. I don't even use a shade with the Air 2 and have no issues seeing the screen outdoors, even with my old man eyes! Happy flying.

Reactions: JoBe and snerd
Now I want the Inspire mount. You guys are expensive cyber friends. [emoji12]. Seriously what's the big deal w/ the mount...?

Reactions: sergekouper
Now I want the Inspire mount. You guys are expensive cyber friends. [emoji12]. Seriously what's the big deal w/ the mount...?
At first I was skeptical about the Inspire mount being so much better. I had the Air 2 on the stock plastic P3 mount and it felt secure enough. It was wobbly, but it didn't bother me too much. I know that some have used a nylon washer to help with the wobble, so I just figured I would do that one of these days. Then a couple of things nagged at me. One was the wobble seemed to always loosen that thumb screw. Second was the screw holding the screen angle seemed to often get loose at the worst times and the tablet would flop down. One day in a moment of weakness I just went to B&H and ordered the Inspire mount for $30. The moment I put it on, I could feel the difference. Less wobble. It just feels more solidly attached, and the screws don't get loose anymore. The tablet feels more secure to me as a result. Could it have been the same with a nylon washer on the stock mount? I think it would have helped, but it would not have been as "tight" as the Inspire mount feels. Plus of course the aluminum looks cool. That's important.

Followed Oso's recommendation and got the Ipad Air 2. Happy with it, It's the max size and weight that the controller and the screen mount can accept, but the screen is clear enough in the sun, and I believe I can trust the processing of the Air 2 that is the best around at the moment.

Now I'm having Air 2 envy! The Mini 2 is definitely problematic in sunlight and slower. Might have to "borrow" an Air 2 from my friend CostCo for 90 days, to see if it's worth the extra $500. They are very generous about letting me borrow lots of cool stuff to try out!;)

I went from an iPad Air without cellular, to an iPad Mini with cellular.
Tomorrow, I am trading it back, for an iPad Air 2 with cellular.
I miss the larger screen, anti glare coating, and the faster processing speed with the A8X of the iPad Air 2. Read the description.
https://www.apple.com/ipad-air-2/performance/
It's just a better iPad over all and not a deal breaker from size, as it's very light. And fits the Inspire 1 device holder on my radio, very nice and snug.

I'm Happy to be going back to a bigger and faster iPad...
Slightly more pricey, but worth every extra dollar.

RedHotPoker

You do know that PPI is not a measure of brightness, right? The Air 2 is brighter than the Mini 3 at every tested percentage level, and is also 3 times less reflective than the Mini 3. No contest which is better outdoors. Of course if you just want a smaller screen, that's a different story. You should try the Mini. I did at first, but it was basically a mirror outdoors. A shade helped a bit, but I just don't like a big bulky shade. I don't even use a shade with the Air 2 and have no issues seeing the screen outdoors, even with my old man eyes! Happy flying.

Yes, and I just read this article confirming your findings between the two... http://www.displaymate.com/iPad6_ShootOut.htm Wish I had read it before.

Having second thoughts now, but I really do like the size of the Mini. I'll give it a try today.

Now I'm having Air 2 envy! The Mini 2 is definitely problematic in sunlight and slower. Might have to "borrow" an Air 2 from my friend CostCo for 90 days, to see if it's worth the extra $500. They are very generous about letting me borrow lots of cool stuff to try out!;)
Costco is rather amazing with their return policy.

I ended up buying my Air 2 from Apple as a refurbished unit. They come with a new case and screen, so they look brand new. Also a one year warranty. So far it performs as new.

I always have such good intentions to return things or sell things to fund new things. For some reason I never get around to the returning or selling part of the plan.

Last edited:
I bought an Air 2 no cellular at Target when they were on sale a few weeks back. $438 out the door. The wife was angry. Went on swappa got a used (looked brand new and has warranty until next September) with cellular for $360 delivered to my house. I checked stolen property.com w/ the serial # for my own piece of mind. All clear. Not sure how I got such a good deal. Rolling w/ it at this point. [emoji12]

I bought a Mini 2, installed the Inspire mount (a must) only to find it lagging and 'bliping' with the CPU demands and heat. So I bought an Air 2, WAY BETTER, bigger brighter screen, only 100gr heaver, and no lagging. It does over balance the controller so attach a key ring around the metal arm of the mount to raise the center of gravity to help balance it out, works fine as long as you don't mind a few scratches on the arm.

I bought an Air 2 no cellular at Target when they were on sale a few weeks back. $438 out the door. The wife was angry. Went on swappa got a used (looked brand new and has warranty until next September) with cellular for $360 delivered to my house. I checked stolen property.com w/ the serial # for my own piece of mind. All clear. Not sure how I got such a good deal. Rolling w/ it at this point. [emoji12]
I got my Air 2 w/cell refurbished for $375, looks and operates like new.

Reactions: PhantomFun
I just returned from the Apple store where I exchanged my Mini 3 for an Air 2. Now off to see if I can get an Inspire mount shipped overnight.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic