ipad air 2 update

Reaction score
is there any known problems with the ipad air 2 and the dji go app when its run on the latest 9.01. i have got myself a new ipad air 2 and its on the older 8.4. i have done a test flight with my new ipad air 2 and the go app and phantom performs with no problems.

I did a search for this answer because my three week old air 2 came with 8.1 on it. I'm way back there, lol. The simulator actually crashes the app and can reboot the iPad. I think it's because I'm so far back. Your question is a loaded one, from what I've read here. Many wish they could go back to 8.4, when things were more stable with the app and all. Then there are those who chime in and say there's no problem. You're gonna have to decide whether to take a shot or not. Personally I wouldn't yet. I'm waiting for the next app Rev and firmware upgrade for the bird. I think they have a number of issues and bugs to work out. If you're flying great and don't need to update for any particular reason, consider not doing it. Good luck either way.

Air 2 64gb Cellular, all current iOS and firmware. Not a hitch guys.
Everything is as stable as thee Gibraltar.stone. ;-)
But I am one of the lucky ones who has a trouble free Phantom 3 Professional.
Never had the screw pocket cracks on my drone's lower body either.

RedHotPoker

Air 2 64gb Cellular, all current iOS and firmware. Not a hitch guys.
Everything is as stable as thee Gibraltar.stone. ;-)
But I am one of the lucky ones who has a trouble free Phantom 3 Professional.
Never had the screw pocket cracks on my drone's lower body either.

RedHotPoker

Same with me except I had to replace the body after about 140 flights with 3 minor crashes that were all my fault!

;) Part of the learning curve and part just stupid $hit on my part.

Air 2 has been problem free!

Done the update today,just need it to stop blowing a Gail and raining now, everything looks fine when I switched on the phantom.

Got a flight in today. Seems ok but I did get a number of video glitches. No app disconnect or crash though. The difficulty is the sporadic nature of any kind of app trouble. I had a number of problem free flights with IOS 8.1 and the go app two revs back. But it was deteriorating, so I had nothing to loose. I would suggest downloading the go app straight from dji rather than the app store. It's just good insurance to me and I've heard others say it's a good idea. Good luck to the op and let us know.

I've heard more than one person say you should download the iOS app directly from DJI instead of the App Store. The thing is, you can't. Unless you're jailbroken, which is not what we're talking about here, ALL apps come through the App Store. DJI has a link on their website to the app in the App Store but it makes no difference how you get there.

is there any known problems with the ipad air 2 and the dji go app when its run on the latest 9.01. i have got myself a new ipad air 2 and its on the older 8.4. i have done a test flight with my new ipad air 2 and the go app and phantom performs with no problems.
stick with 8.4 , with 8.4 you can jailbreak the device, plus the new dji app works great.... never upgrade the os on the air 2.... stick with 8.4... do your research... you're fortunate to have 8.4... don't loose it...

Everything will jailbreak in time. And there really is no point any more for the average person. Apple has nothing to offer beyond stability. The second people start adding more apps is the second people start complaining about crashes! Same goes for the Android side. 9.1 runs flawlessly on the Air 2 with 2.4.1 as well.

I've been running on my old iPad Mini 2 completely loaded up with tons of other apps with no problems since I got my P3P. Always on the latest version of iOS, including betas. Always stable. I've been jailbroken in the past before, too (before P3P) - also usually pretty stable.

(I see the same attitude in DJ (not DJI!) forums I frequent as well. People are adamant that for a usable DJ system you HAVE to devote a laptop to it that never gets updated or used for anything else. My laptops are used for lots of different stuff, always stable.)

Its not that they HAVe to be anything. But its the addition of added stuff, whatever it might be, that is giving people issues. If YOUR Mini 2 works perfectly fine with the updated app, then EVERYONES will. But some have issues. The issues lie in comparability with other stuff. Those are the variables that DJI cant control, and the reason people say to fly with a clean device. No variable means a person is back to where you are.. with a working Mini 2. Or me with an Air 2.

You know, I can see how you can screw up laptop stability. It's possible to have too much stuff going on in the background that can impact what you're doing. But a non-jailbroken iOS device is way harder to screw up. "Background" apps are not actually running (background refresh is a different matter but I still don't see it impacting DJI Go or any of the third party apps.)

Every day someone complains of crashes. More so on android. But there you have hundreds of devices and 10x the apps avail. Add to that the vast number of rooted devices. Its a mess to nail down compatibility issues.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Reactions: BillG
Well I might just be joining the happy pappy club. Since updating my air2 to 9.1 and the newest go app, things have been stable. My flight yesterday had no app or ipad glitches, however fpv streaming was glitchy a bit. I think I have solved that by choosing custom channel 20 and dropping the bit rate all the way down. Doing so has made video stream perfect, no glitches. I noticed that even in auto channel mode it's always on channel 20 anyway. And even on the air2 larger screen, lowest bit rate looks fine to me. I also turned off video caching too. I may try turning that back on because I like looking easily at how video turned out. I was also flying in pretty gusty conditions. Blew my hat off. I chased the hat while the phantom stayed in place waiting for me, lol. If I can put more flights like this together, my trust in the system may just become a given. That for me is the goal. Then I can actually put paranoia away and start getting some flying and filming done.

Reactions: bobmyers
Well I might just be joining the happy pappy club. Since updating my air2 to 9.1 and the newest go app, things have been stable. My flight yesterday had no app or ipad glitches, however fpv streaming was glitchy a bit. I think I have solved that by choosing custom channel 20 and dropping the bit rate all the way down. Doing so has made video stream perfect, no glitches. I noticed that even in auto channel mode it's always on channel 20 anyway. And even on the air2 larger screen, lowest bit rate looks fine to me. I also turned off video caching too. I may try turning that back on because I like looking easily at how video turned out. I was also flying in pretty gusty conditions. Blew my hat off. I chased the hat while the phantom stayed in place waiting for me, lol. If I can put more flights like this together, my trust in the system may just become a given. That for me is the goal. Then I can actually put paranoia away and start getting some flying and filming done.
Glad you got it all sorted out-- have some fun now.:D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20