Ipad 1st gen cellular, will it run Go app

Reaction score
Hi, could not find the answer in search.
Looking to pickup a tablet to use, can see a 1st gen ipad 16gb cellular locally for £50.
Would strip everything out of it so only running the go app.

Obviously most apps are updated and some stop working on older ios and 1st gen can only run ios up a certain point.
So first question will app run on 1st gen in terms of ios and power of a 1st gen?
When dji update app do they ensure it is compatible to max ios available for a 1st gen?
I know I wont be able to cache video with 16gb but hey will just be learning to fly and shoot for the first while so not too worried about that.

Thanks in advance.
JC

Hi,
No it won't work. Any Apple product with a lightning port (thin tall one, compared to 30 pin which is short and wide) that runs iOS 8 or later will support DJI Go. This means that the iPad 1, 2, and 3 won't work. Also, the iPad mini 1 will not work even though it has a lightning port. Although I don't have one, many people on this forum recommend the $200 8" NVIDA Shield tablet, which is cheap, powerful, and has GPS.
Good luck!

Reactions: Digdat0 and Deimos
Hi, could not find the answer in search.
Looking to pickup a tablet to use, can see a 1st gen ipad 16gb cellular locally for £50.
Would strip everything out of it so only running the go app.

Obviously most apps are updated and some stop working on older ios and 1st gen can only run ios up a certain point.
So first question will app run on 1st gen in terms of ios and power of a 1st gen?
When dji update app do they ensure it is compatible to max ios available for a 1st gen?
I know I wont be able to cache video with 16gb but hey will just be learning to fly and shoot for the first while so not too worried about that.

Thanks in advance.
JC
Have a look at this long thread: Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO
Lots of discussion about iPads there. One of the posters has had great success with 1st gen iPad although it is not on the DJI recommended list. After discussing with him we came to the conclusion that it will work with a P3 Advanced but not the Pro. That is because the Advanced is limited to 2Mbps downlink streaming.

Reactions: Digdat0 and Deimos
Lots of discussion about iPads there. One of the posters has had great success with 1st gen iPad although it is not on the DJI recommended list. After discussing with him we came to the conclusion that it will work with a P3 Advanced but not the Pro. That is because the Advanced is limited to 2Mbps downlink streaming.

I thought I had read somewhere someone had it working on a 1st gen but could not see on the approved list. Thats what was throwing me.

I know others have but I have not been able to get my 1st Gen mini to work

Oops I gave you the wrong link. Here is the link that specifically discusses the iPad 1st gen: Tablet choices - good screen
But, to clarify, it is the 1st gen iPad mini.

I use iPad mini 3 cellular/wifi 16 gigs, my cellular plan is only $10 a month for 2 gigs, and I can pull up maps wherever I'm flying (provided there is a cellular connection). I bought it on Amazon back in January and it was $300, but worth every penny. Never have a problem running my P3P, if I was u I would stick with iOS...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I thought I had read somewhere someone had it working on a 1st gen but could not see on the approved list.
A few people have reported they were able to install it, but the performance was poor. The FPV usually lags so much that it makes it unusable.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31