iOSD warming up info

Reaction score
I don't get why iOSD does not display when the Phantom is ready to fly after power on. It indicates GPS info but nothing about warming up process.
In bright days I have to stay down with a finger below one of the rear lights to wait until they blink green several times.
And be careful to not mix it up with the same blink behavior when satellites are more than 6 (it could be dangerous)

Referring to a Phantom 2 Non-vision version 1, the manual says the LEDs flash Red, Green, Yellow, Red, Green, Yellow for the Power On Self-Test and then blinks Green, Yellow, Green, Yellow during warm-up. Warm-up is very quick on the Phantom 2, much shorter than the Phantom 1. The iOSD does not indicate the warm-up cycle. Watching the Phantom is what you should be doing after you power up the Phantom. After warm-up, you will see the green and red flashes indicating the satellite count. It is essential you see the two sequences of green flashes after obtaining a satisfactory satellite count. The first set of green flashes indicates Course Lock and the second set indicates Home Lock is enabled, but not set. Home lock does not set until the motors are armed (started).

Watching the iOSD, you will see the increase of found satellites. When you get sufficient number that will coincide with the flashes you should be watching on the Phantom. The Height and Distance on the iOSD will be zeros until you arm the motors and establish home lock. At the moment you arm the motors, the iOSD will display zeros in the H and D blanks and the Azumith will be displayed too. Those will be blank until the motors are armed.

I might suggest reviewing the manual for the LED light sequences as they are critical to successful flights. The iOSD will augment that information after arming the motors. There are several manuals on the web site pertinent to each model of DJI. The manuals are updated on occasion and there are notes available whenever the firmware is updated.

Referring to a Phantom 2 Non-vision version 1, the manual says the LEDs flash Red, Green, Yellow, Red, Green, Yellow for the Power On Self-Test and then blinks Green, Yellow, Green, Yellow during warm-up.
During warm-up I never got Green-Yellow blinks in the final process, it makes no sense. It blinks Green-Red. Red blinks quantity is according to acquired satellites. Switching S1 to Atti mode will blink yellow instead of green.
Warm-up is very quick on the Phantom 2, much shorter than the Phantom 1.
That's right but sometimes first quickly blinking green lights are for more than 6 acquired satellites.

Anyway my question is only about displaying ready warm-up process. So much technology but in a bright day is hard difficult to see the lights with P2 on a bright concret floor when you have iOSD able to display that info.

During warm-up I never got Green-Yellow blinks in the final process, it makes no sense
Ahhhh....but it does make sense. Warm up may be so short the sequence of blinks is not necessary. What are the weather conditions where you are located. Here it is zero degrees F and if I went outside to fly, it may not warm up and I'd see that sequence over and over and over. Sunny and 80 degrees F, I might not see it.

It blinks Green-Red. Red blinks quantity is according to acquired satellites. Switching S1 to Atti mode will blink yellow instead of green.
Correct and correct. The change from GPS to Atti will be shown in the lower left corner of the iOSD.

That's right but sometimes first quickly blinking green lights are for more than 6 acquired satellites.
No, the first set is for course lock and is not related to satellites. Course lock is the direction or heading of the quad as it sits on the ground during the warm up/start up sequence. Sometimes the blinking for course lock and home lock availability are right after one another and it just looks like one long series of green blinks. If it rapidly acquires satellites, the whole start up, warm up, green blinking is over quickly. Sometimes not so much as it "struggles" to find satellites.

Anyway my question is only about displaying ready warm-up process. So much technology but in a bright day is hard difficult to see the lights with P2 on a bright concret floor when you have iOSD able to display that info.
I put reflective tape on the legs, thinking that would make it easier to see, uh...no...did not help. I read one person made a plastic extension of the lens of the LED to make it more visible. Many people just hold their hand under the LED looking for the reflected glow of the LED. I've placed it on top of my case, at a construction site I've placed it on a bundle of bricks or a stack of blocks or a stack of pallets being mindful of metals which may affect the compass and also being aware placing the Phantom on something during startup, the iOSD will display an inaccurate height during flight.

marciano said:
I don't get why iOSD does not display when the Phantom is ready to fly after power on.

because that's how DJI designed it. I agree, that would be a cool feature... go suggest it to them simply complaining about it on a random forum here isn't going to accomplish anything.

I personally watch the screen for # of satellites, once it reaches 7 I watch for the rapid green flashes (I'm in Naza Mode) and then you're off. You can tell it's working by watching the height/distance from home point things on the OSD.

When I'm really nervous I'll fly off 30-40m and then test failsafe via the RC's S1 switch and make sure it comes back overhead and stops. Have you enabled that function via the assistant software?

I don't have anything technical to add to this thread but wherever I go I take a small make-up type mirror which I put under the rear arm of the Phantom, so I can watch the light sequence precisely from a crouching or standing position. Much easier :)

This is just something extra you have to carry. It does not have to be glass, just shiny metal
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...telescoping&sprefix=inspection+mirror,aps,216

I've mentioned this in other discussions, I hold my Phantom during warm up making it really easy to see the LEDs. This method is totally unapproved and not recommended, but it works for me. I hold the Phantom at eye level at a safe distance from my face. Facing the direction I want course lock, the left hand skid rests on my left hand. My right hand is holding the right rear prop arm below the props. Thumb on one side, two fingers on the other side of the arm and two below. The LED is clearly visible holding it this way. It's like cupping the LED in a shadow.

For the first battery of a series at a new location, I push the battery button and hold as still as possible and wait for start-up, warm-up and satellite search. I get the two green sequences and then perform the compass calibration. Then turn off the Phantom, turn on the camera, start recording and then holding the Phantom again at eye level again, push the battery button and watch for a full sequence. Set the Phantom down somewhere I want to be home point, perform control stick combination and fly away.

The second, third, etc, batteries at a location the compass calibration is not needed, but I follow the same holding method each time I power up.

It works for me and I always see the LED sequence. Warm up is so short, it rarely takes any time with a Phantom 2 Non-vision version 1. Quite the opposite, the Phantom 1 version 1 took minutes.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl