iosd mini updating

Reaction score
Hi all. I just received my iosd mini. I have a mac computer so can't update the mini. Is it really necessary to update the firmware on a new iosd mini?

Mine will be here next week. How are Mac users supposed to update if they dont have access to anything windows?

I'll be happy to update the iOSD for any mac users who are in that much of a bind, but I'm sure it would be easier to just find someone locally with a PC and ask them to give you a hand with that real quick.

Your options are:

• find a friend with a Windows machine.
  • Install VMWare Fusion (or Parallels) and create a Windows instance.
  • Wait for DJI to get off their butts and do the Mac version.

Is it a major update or can it wait until they release something for the Mac? Maybe I will have to try to find someone with a PC....not that I even know how to use one!! LOL

I would recommend http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion as well, esp if you have to do this often. I'm also not sure if anyone will get the ground station since I think its only windows and ipad.. so if you needed to do stuff in windows for osx users this is prob the best solution.

Same problem here, Mac, no Windows. So I borrowed a PC and downloaded the iosd assistant but the iosd will not connect to the PC. Any suggestions as I know next to nothing about Windows 7. I have the P2 powered up, usb cable plugged into PC and then I fire up the assistant but no joy. I am at a loss here.

There is no need to spend cash on VMs. Oracle's VM Virtualbox is excellent (... about the only thing Oracle that is IMHO :lol: ) and compatible with OSX.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

DesertFlyer53 said:
You need to also download the DJI WIN Driver Installer on the DJI site... http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2/download

Gotta love Windows and all the flaming hoops you have to jump through to do the simplest of task. Makes me love my Mac's even more. Never owned a Windows machine in 30+ years of computing and never will. Finally got my iOSD updated and I am excited to get it out and try my new FPV setup! :ugeek:

Because I use an iMac exclusively and don't have access to a PC, I recently installed VMware Fusion in order to update my iOSD mini. VMware Fusion works well on a Mac but also requires a Windows operating system; it doesn't come with one. I took the plunge and installed Windows 8.

I had no problems updating my iOSD mini with VMWare and Windows 8. If you go this approach, however, remember that you also need to download a special DJI Windows 8 driver and install it prior to installing the iOSD mini driver.

This was a relatively expensive fix, but one good thing is I now have a platform for the PhoenixRC and RealFlight flight simulators, which only run on Windows. PhoenixRC is really awesome on an an iMac.

I've never owned a Mac and never will. On to the iosd mini. I flew mine last week for the first time. I can see the telemetry on my monitor OK but now that I see there is software to update it I guess I will. I don't know how the assistants are on a Mac but my big objection to it on my PC is that it's in a window that can't be resized or taken to full screen and the readability sucks because of that. I'm use to the two finger spread on my Surface computer.

I would only update the iOSD if you are having troubles with it, otherwise leave it be. The Mac & Windows software is the same. The window is 8" x 6.5" on my screen. Maybe try it on a computer instead of a tablet and see if that helps.

Please describe the process to update the iOSD mini device mounted to the underside of my Phantom. I have a mac and PC laptop.

Plug in the usb cable to the iOSD, power up the craft and use the DJI software for the iOSD to update.
Look up your craft then look for the software tab. The iOSD updater only comes in a Windows version.

Thanks for the explanation. One more question. Do I use the USB cable that's coming out of the isod that runs to the landing gear? I bought mine already pieced together and I'm new to this device. I'll see if I can do the update on my days off starting tomorrow.

freelanceshots said:
Thanks for the explanation. One more question. Do I use the USB cable that's coming out of the isod that runs to the landing gear? I bought mine already pieced together and I'm new to this device. I'll see if I can do the update on my days off starting tomorrow.

The cable that connects the iOSD to the port on the leg is called a canbus. What you need to use is a micro-USB cable, the one that came with your Phantom should work fine...there's a small port for it on the side of the iOSD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic