IOSD mark II install questions

Reaction score
I ordered the IOSD from dji to add to my phantom but after watching several videos on you tube I am completely lost. I installed the pmu v2 no problem. But am having a really hard time figuring out how I am going To install the iosd. I will be connecting it to a gopro hero 3 and fatshark video transmitter. Some one please help me understand this a little more before I attempt to install it.

Also is there a way to display the latitude and longitude with the iosd from dji. I know others do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Re: IOSD mark II install questions

There is a wiring diagram on the DJI Innovations website, have you seen that ?

I think it's a pretty basic setup, the controller needs to connect to a power source, same as the PMU V-2 did.

Then the cable that you bought for the GoPro (the kit would not have a cable in it, so you have to buy one), will
go to the AV-1 port on the IOSD, just video ground, and video signal. (Do NOT use the red/blk wires to power
the GoPro camera) Go Pro is only 5v, and would be destroyed by this 12v supply. (the leads are for powering a 12v
FPV camera only).
You can use both a FPV camera, and GoPro camera, and switch between the two, but never connect a GoPro to
battery voltage.

Next, is video out to tx. up at the top of the IOSD is an 8 wire connector, for tx other than DJI, you will use this.
These wires will connect to your tx connector wires. connect the BATT - to the Video ground, and also to the black
wire on the video tx. (Important to tie the grounds together).

BATT + to the red wire of the tx connector.

Then connect the video signal wire, (yellow) to the yellow wire on your tx.

I'm pretty sure the FatShark tx uses "tiny dip switches" for channel control, so you should not use the orange set
of wires, that would let you use your radio to switch through the 8 channels.

Exactly as he wrote "Audaciter", follow the instructions and diagram, and you can not confuse. You will however have a problem with it all to get the Phantom, I had all 3 additional unit (GCU, PMUv2 and iOSD Mk II) removed from their large metal boxes, wrapped in a heat shrinkable film, so there's a very hard fit.

The interior of the Phantom is now completely stuffed, especially large and bulky cables causing trouble. But even so, I was able to implement USB modes for NAZA and iOSD units, the both USB outputs have built-in shell Phantom, for easy PC/laptop connection.

I will add only that I had connection of all units and gimbal (according to my design and design) make my expert soldering (DJI dealer).

Attachments

• 20130724_132552small.jpg
    20130724_132552small.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 2,581

Nicely done gardenroute. :!:

Here is a picture of how I had my PMU V-2, and GCU V1 modules mounted.

They are recessed into slots, on each side of the battery.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 2,430

Interesting and neat, as you did with the original motherboard? You have your own under that CF base?

Interesting and neat, as you did with the original motherboard? You have your own under that CF base?

No need for a Main Board with the PMU V-2 module. I had all the wires for the ESC's, and accessories, run around
underneath the outside edge of the carbon fiber plate, connecting to the main battery as well.

Where did you get that shelf or did you make it. And what is that fubaba device in there ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I like this. I think for people who want the iOSD or the new BT module, this is the best approach. Since you can't use those modules with the new main board since there's no CAN BUS, just use the PMU-V2, chuck out the main board entirely, and use this method. Clean and still space efficient, and you can probably fit in the iOSD mini with no problem.

A+ :)

Where did you get that shelf or did you make it. And what is that fubaba device in there ?

I made the plate from 1mm carbon fiber sheet, that I got from Hobby King.
The Futaba device, is the receiver for the Futaba T8J radio. Much better than the DJI unit, and uses 2 antennas.

The modules actually fit nicely into the slots on each side of the battery. I just had to measure everything carefully,
and used a dremel tool, with cut-off wheel to make the slots. I put a small bead of silicone sealer around the modules,
on the underneath side of the plate, and it holds them securely.

I purposely made the plate larger than the stock DJI main board, for extra mounting space. I put the Naza controller in
the middle, because I thought that was very important. The new "upgrade board", comes with the Naza controller not located
in the center, so it seems that you can use this to your advantage when planning a similar style build.

CAUTION: Please wear eye, and respiratory protection when cutting, or sanding the carbon fiber.
the particles are extremely fine, and you will breathe in a lot of it, if not wearing a mask.

Again, great idea, if you did well on the distribution system for power and or. and new circuits (what are the upgrade), you could even sell a business :)

Again, great idea, if you did well on the distribution system for power and or. and new circuits (what are the upgrade), you could even sell a business :)

For me, it's just about enjoying the hobby, and trying to keep my mind active.

It's good to see what others do to find a solution for the limited space inside the Phantom's shell, such as you did in
removing the modules housings.

I would be interested to see what others have done.

Audaciter said:
No need for a Main Board with the PMU V-2 module. I had all the wires for the ESC's, and accessories, run around
underneath the outside edge of the carbon fiber plate, connecting to the main battery as well.

Great idea! I just put in the PMU and am ordering the IOSD. This looks like the way to do it -- perfect! I would love to see how you wired the ESC's and power cables. Good job.

Captc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Audaciter said:

Great idea! I just put in the PMU and am ordering the IOSD. This looks like the way to do it -- perfect! I would love to see how you wired the ESC's and power cables. Good job.

Captc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Audaciter --

I just got the IOSD Mark II and PMU so I am going to try and replace the MB. Did you just route all the + and - leads for the ESC's to the main battery power cables ? I looks like you soldered new lines direct from the ESC's but I can't see where they end up. Are all the power leads together or did you use some sort of terminal block on the board.

Thanks

Captc

Audaciter --

I just got the IOSD Mark II and PMU so I am going to try and replace the MB. Did you just route all the + and - leads for the ESC's to the main battery power cables ? I looks like you soldered new lines direct from the ESC's but I can't see where they end up. Are all the power leads together or did you use some sort of terminal block on the board.

Thanks

Captc

Yes, you are correct. I just ran the wires towards each other. I made a notch in the heat shrink, soldered the ESC,wires
plus a 16awg accessory wire set, pulling the accessory wires through before shrinking...
The Same was done on the right/back/left, if looking from the front. On the left, of course it was the Battery wires
instead of accessory wires.

I just got my IOSD mini in the mail yesterday , and have not even opened the package yet, but it feels pretty small.

Did I goof?

I have a Tiny OSD on its way - - hows that compare to DJI's offering? I know the Tiny has an additional GPS antenna to deal with.

Also, what's the advantage of upgrading my "older" Phantom to a PMU-V2?

Not sure yet, but I may be faced with replacing the NAZA-M anyway, after a minor accident yesterday. Hit a roof eve and fell about 12 feet. No exterior damage. Did advanced cal and compass cal. All lights good, but barometric sensor is not working properly. In hover, climbs and descends at random and abruptly. Any advice appreciated.

bumper

gardenroute said:
But even so, I was able to implement USB modes for NAZA and iOSD units, the both USB outputs have built-in shell Phantom, for easy PC/laptop connection.

Which panel mount female USB connectors did you use? Link please.

bumper

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj