iOS tablet for my P3 needed

Reaction score
Ok guys.... will a new ipad mini 2 for $199 serve the purpose for the P3?

There is only 2 issues I saw anywhere about the mini 2 which are ones that I can live with for now. Those issues were heat and visibility in sunlight. I want to be able to access some of the new app's which are iOS only.
If were for anymore then that then I would consider a mini 4 instead. So is the Mini 2 ok, or...?

My iPad Mini 2 works well. I take it out of the case when flying to prevent it from overheating. If it's cold out though, then you probably won't need to worry about the case.

My iPad Mini 2 works well. I take it out of the case when flying to prevent it from overheating. If it's cold out though, then you probably won't need to worry about the case.

How well would you say it does in cold weather, as in making screen selections in low temps?

Not sure yet. It hasn't dropped below about 45 here since I purchased my Phantom 3.

My Mini 2 worked well in the Spring, but when the Summer temperatures started the Mini 2 just overheated on me rather quickly. Usually at the end of the first battery. Two batteries were not possible for me. The glare was really bad, but I could have lived with it if not for the overheating.

Since you do so much beta testing, it would probably make sense for you to not have the top of the line Mini 4, right? Maybe it would give skewed feedback with your testing? Seems if beta software works on the Mini 2 it would work on the Mini 4 but not necessarily the other way around?

If you are not using it in a hot climate and don't mind a sunshade, maybe the Mini 2 is okay for you and good for your beta testing as well.

My Mini 2 worked well in the Spring, but when the Summer temperatures started the Mini 2 just overheated on me rather quickly. Usually at the end of the first battery. Two batteries were not possible for me. The glare was really bad, but I could have lived with it if not for the overheating.

Since you do so much beta testing, it would probably make sense for you to not have the top of the line Mini 4, right? Maybe it would give skewed feedback with your testing? Seems if beta software works on the Mini 2 it would work on the Mini 4 but not necessarily the other way around?

If you are not using it in a hot climate and don't mind a sunshade, maybe the Mini 2 is okay for you and good for your beta testing as well.

I saw something that took the glare away on the mini 2. I did not look at what it was exactly because I wasn't in any consideration of the mini 2 at the time. I rarely ever fly more then 1 battery flights. I'll do a half to full flight and get right to pulling down the data. If I had to land, adjust settings, and then launch for a test I might need to make ongoing flights. Right now we're on firmware and it doesn't require as much flight detail like when testing the GO app.

If this was not a one sided deal with just iS0 app's, I would be a little more to with paying a lot more for the mini 4. And I would go with a mini 4 before buying the ipad Air. It's the faster processor that would have my interest when considering the mini 4. I may just try the mini 2 and search for possible tweaks and such?

I may just try the mini 2 and search for possible tweaks and such?
It seems plenty of folks here use the Mini 2 with no issues. @msinger seems to enjoy his. I'm sure you'll find settings help that allow you to fly most of the time, especially since you noted you rarely go beyond one battery. Maybe if you control glare enough you could lower the screen brightness which would help for example. I'd say also maybe disable video caching, but you may need that for beta testing. Anyway, point is that I feel confident you'd be able to make a Mini 2 work well enough for your use case.

Any tidbits you can share about the next FW? Is this the one that stops the ability to revert to older versions? The new encryption protocol? Warp speed?

It seems plenty of folks here use the Mini 2 with no issues. @msinger seems to enjoy his. I'm sure you'll find settings help that allow you to fly most of the time, especially since you noted you rarely go beyond one battery. Maybe if you control glare enough you could lower the screen brightness which would help for example. I'd say also maybe disable video caching, but you may need that for beta testing. Anyway, point is that I feel confident you'd be able to make a Mini 2 work well enough for your use case.

Any tidbits you can share about the next FW? Is this the one that stops the ability to revert to older versions? The new encryption protocol? Warp speed?

We sign NDA's that keep us from talking about it. :(

Reactions: Oso

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20