iOS 8.4.1 update...all good with GO?

Reaction score
It seems like a harmless update to Apple Music & some security patches, but just wanted to poll users before I update my iPad. Has anyone encountered issues with recently released (Thursday) iOS 8.4.1 and DJI GO?

Thanks

I havent updated to 8.4.1 because its really just a bunch of updates for stuff I dont use.. I'll just be waiting for ios9.

I dont jb anymore.. once upon a time it was worth it but now since apple took many of the best cydia tweaks and implemented them into the ios there far less reason. Plus you do lose some reliability when you jailbreak, not the best idea when flying a nice drone IMO

Yeah...I see both sides to the jailbreak issue - I stopped doing it for the same reason. Everything I used to not be able to do, and could only do via jb, Apple addressed or opened up for devs to do in SDK. I had a ton of instability issues (and it used to open up big security holes), reboots, etc. back when I'd jailbreak a few years back. Maybe its gotten better, but I won't risk a potential device reboot during flight.

Reactions: Buckaye
You should complete that sentence. It can read like this

"Nothing changes regarding reliability, until you start adding cydia tweaks that aren't subjected to stringent stability and security checks."

Reactions: gfredrone
Yeah...I see both sides to the jailbreak issue - I stopped doing it for the same reason. Everything I used to not be able to do, and could only do via jb, Apple addressed or opened up for devs to do in SDK. I had a ton of instability issues (and it used to open up big security holes), reboots, etc. back when I'd jailbreak a few years back. Maybe its gotten better, but I won't risk a potential device reboot during flight.

Sounds like we are on the same page. I miss call recorder the most, there's probably 10 good tweaks now and like you I won't risk a reboot for them

Sounds like we are on the same page. I miss call recorder the most, there's probably 10 good tweaks now and like you I won't risk a reboot for them
Yes! Call recorder...forgot about that. That was a great one. Yeah...some cool tweaks out there for sure, but over my years of building, tweaking and fiddling with technology and software, I've really come to appreciate stability at the cost of customization. Maybe I'm just getting old, and don't have the patience to spend hours doing troubleshooting, reinstalling, reboots and recovery :)

Reactions: Jeff48920
Yes! Call recorder...forgot about that. That was a great one. Yeah...some cool tweaks out there for sure, but over my years of building, tweaking and fiddling with technology and software, I've really come to appreciate stability at the cost of customization. Maybe I'm just getting old, and don't have the patience to spend hours doing troubleshooting, reinstalling, reboots and recovery :)

I couldn't agree more mate. Yeh Call Recorder was great. Bitesms was another, I worked shift for years and writing a bunch of messages and choosing when they'd get sent out (while I'm fast asleep) was incredibly useful. But after several cycles of waiting for the jb to come out for the iOS I was using and some tweaks being discontinued its sadly just not as an attractive option as it used to be!

You should complete that sentence. It can read like this

"Nothing changes regarding reliability, until you start adding cydia tweaks that aren't subjected to stringent stability and security checks."
Agree with all here. I'm down to about 5 tweaks from maybe 40 when I made the switch from my treo to the original iPhone.

I am new, just got my Advanced yesterday. Tried to install DJI Go on my iPad and it won't load. Says it is incompatible with my device.

I am new, just got my Advanced yesterday. Tried to install DJI Go on my iPad and it won't load. Says it is incompatible with my device.

According to the app description below. Does your iPad fall into one of the following categories? If so, and assuming you have enough free space, quit all apps, reboot the iPad, then try to install.

"Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, and iPod touch (6th generation). This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus."

Makes no sense to me that if Go supports iOS 8 that it won't support all the devices that iOS 8 supports - like my iPad 2. ...causes me to rethink this purchase as the total cost of ownership could go up by several hundred dollars.

Edit: I will look at apps other than Go that may better serve my purposes, particularly if I don't hafta upgrade from my admittedly old(er) iPad 2

Edit 2: per @Australis5 (below), yes it makes complete sense now! Thanks for the education!

Last edited:
Makes no sense to me that if Go supports iOS 8 that it won't support all the devices that iOS 8 supports - like my iPad 2. ...causes me to rethink this purchase as the total cost of ownership could go up by several hundred dollars.

Edit: I will look at apps other than Go that may better serve my purposes, particularly if I don't hafta upgrade from my admittedly old(er) iPad 2

GO is the app that you're going to have to use, until DJI fully opens the SDK for mainstream flight apps (which even then, I'd be reluctant).

It actually completely make sense. There is a LOT of processing that is going on in that GO app (which is pretty incredible when you consider GPS/mapping, live HD video stream, camera control, etc), which requires hardware (processor, RAM, video) that can keep up with it. So, just because the device will run iOS 8, it doesn't mean that it will run every app - which is why certain apps have hardware/device requirements in the app store. I run an iPad Air on mine. It runs fine - but I wouldn't mind having an iPad Air 2 with the A8X (I'm waiting until new ones come out in the next month or 2 with an A9). You don't want an underpowered device. Yes, cost of ownership is not cheap with the P3, and doesn't stop with it's purchase.

Reactions: huntjock
Not much to 8.4.1 I'd say 98% was to patch the Jb that's why none of the bata releases had no notes . Really not worth it but won't hurt . TaiG has stated they will hold off until iOS 9 .
I like the Jb to change the look ever since iOS 7 the white / gray hurts my eyes (getting old) I never had any problems I run about 15 tweaks just have to watch the tweaks that but heads :D

If it's a 1st gen iPad Mini, I think you're out of luck. Minimum is iPad Mini 2. Yeah, I'd stick with your iPhone 6 - lot of power there.

The 6 is fine but the advantage of the tablets is you can really tell what sort of pics you're taking at the time, whereas it's harder to know on a 5 inch screen. This and I don't think the phones have had the app programmed to show the camera, map and compass heading all at once, that's important for me doing fpv but not for everyone no doubt.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic