IOC Home Lock not working

Reaction score
Hi, I've just made a first test flight after having activated IOC Home Lock but to my surprise I couldn't see it take effect. I've set it up using a two-way switch on my Turnigy er9X, so when the switch is in OFF position, IOC Home Lock is active and when it is in ON position, IOC is OFF. I do it this way - being a newcomer to RC I find it safer if IOC is on by default. I'm using firmware 4.02 and my assistant is 2.20. On the Advanced-IOC page I can see how the blue field flips correctly between Home Lock and OFF when I toggle the switch on the Tx so I believe the receiver and Naza are correctly connected? The distance between me and the Phantom was definitely more than 10m. Any suggestions what might be wrong here?

st2430 said:
Hi, I've just made a first test flight after having activated IOC Home Lock but to my surprise I couldn't see it take effect. I've set it up using a two-way switch on my Turnigy er9X, so when the switch is in OFF position, IOC Home Lock is active and when it is in ON position, IOC is OFF. I do it this way - being a newcomer to RC I find it safer if IOC is on by default. I'm using firmware 4.02 and my assistant is 2.20. On the Advanced-IOC page I can see how the blue field flips correctly between Home Lock and OFF when I toggle the switch on the Tx so I believe the receiver and Naza are correctly connected? The distance between me and the Phantom was definitely more than 10m. Any suggestions what might be wrong here?

Did you fly the Phantom more than 10m away from the home point? Home Lock won't engage when you're within 10m of the home point.

Yes, it was too far away for me to feel confident. ;)

Btw, you say that Home Lock is not triggered until the distance is more than 10m. So if I've flown 100m away and return, will Home Lock deactivate automatically when within the 10m limit?

st2430 said:
Btw, you say that Home Lock is not triggered until the distance is more than 10m. So if I've flown 100m away and return, will Home Lock deactivate automatically when within the 10m limit?

Home Lock works in GPS mode only. When you reach the 10 m boundary of where your Phantom last registered its home point (a long series of flashing green on the LED after the Naza warms up), the Phantom automatically goes into Course Lock mode.

So for Home Lock to work properly make sure you have locked on to more that 6 satellites at your current location and the Mode switch is in GPS.

You should read about Course Lock mode since it operates differently than Home Lock.

Thanks, but I'm not 100% sure that I understand what you mean. Yes, I make sure that I have a proper GPS fix before taking off, no blinking red after the series of green flashes. Are you saying that even if the Tx switch is set to Home Lock when I take off the mode is changed to Course Lock? Remember that instead of a 3-way switch I have only a 2-way switch with Home Lock and OFF programmed. I was assuming that when the switch is in Home Lock mode the Phantom actually goes into Home Lock mode once the distance is more than 10m. And yes, I'm in GPS mode. What am I not understanding correctly here?

Sorry, my oversight. I assumed your transmitter had a 3 position switch - OFF, CL & HL.

Here's an example of what happens with my stock transmitter. After establishing a home point and locking on to 6+ satellites, I fly 60 m away and then 30 m to either the right or left. Next, I flip the mode switch from Off to Home Lock. When I pull back on the right stick, the Phantom returns in a straight toward the home point until I reach 10 m from the home point. Then, without touching the mode switch, the Naza controller automatically flies in CL mode.

However, what the Naza does when your transmitter has only 2 positions programmed, I don't know. This may be part of your problem.

Anyway, here's the first of a 3 part YouTube video explaining IOC, Home Lock and Course Lock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfcHlKcIshw

Thanks for your informative response, Thor 555. Based on this I've changed the setup in the tx so that when the switch is OFF then IOC is also OFF. And when the switch is ON it (hopefully) puts the Phantom in Home Lock mode. I will try this out tomorrow together with your other hints and report back. Thanks again.

Note: You must first enable IOC via the software setup from your computer on a new Phantom.

This threw me for a loop at first too. Surprising that this isn't the first thing people say when people mention HL and CL not working.

Thanks. Yes I'm aware of this. That's how I programmed the Tx. I've actually now changed the setup to support all 3 options, HL, CL, and OFF using two 2-way switches, which seems to work fine on the IOC setup screen.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I've now had a chance to test out Home Lock mode and yes, it seems to be working. Without it I would never had been able to do like this:

http://youtu.be/ZWoD7AU31ZE

(youtu.be is correct even if it looks odd, that's the link youtube gave me during the upload.)

I think both HL and CL mode will come handy in the future. Thanks all.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl