Inverted Camera, need help

Reaction score
So I just bought my PV2+ today and after unboxing it I noticed some weird things going on. Has anyone had this issue and does anyone have a fix?

10811441_10152404149716576_1960751825_n.jpg

Basically I am now trying to 'flip' the gimbal back into its original position but the two protruding parts aren't allowing me to do so. Is there any way around this?

*Green circles: Protruding metal bits
*Red arrow: Direction which I have to push the gimbal
*Red circle: Ripped ribbon

10806911_10152404208781576_1053029728_n.jpg

The camera/gimbal has been wrecked. It's going to run you $85 for the ribbon and a minimum $50 for install. The potentiometers may be cracked so you are looking $230 total shipped for repair. It's not always a simple fix.

It seems to be functioning properly when I turn it on, it just keeps trying to re-align itself to its upright position but it can't due to that thing being in the way.

Rust said:
It seems to be functioning properly when I turn it on, it just keeps trying to re-align itself to its upright position but it can't due to that thing being in the way.
The ribbon cable tear is absolutely going to cause a failure of something. I repair 4-5 a week and have seen it all. I am pretty sure you could pull straight out on that horizontal axis and the press fit motor shaft would slide out allowing you to flip the camera. Then you would need to zero the horizontal potentiometer and secure the horizontal arm with red loctight after scouring both mating surfaces.

burlbark said:
Rust said:
The ribbon cable tear is absolutely going to cause a failure of something. I repair 4-5 a week and have seen it all. I am pretty sure you could pull straight out on that horizontal axis and the press fit motor shaft would slide out allowing you to flip the camera. Then you would need to zero the horizontal potentiometer and secure the horizontal arm with red loctight after scouring both mating surfaces.

Would I have to unscrew something to pull it straight out or is it connected magnetically? I've seen videos of aligning the horizontal potentiometer but none of pulling the axis straight out.

To be frank the Phantom did fall around 5 feet but I have no idea how a fall from that height could completely flip the camera the way it did.

Rust said:
burlbark said:
Rust said:

Would I have to unscrew something to pull it straight out or is it connected magnetically? I've seen videos of aligning the horizontal potentiometer but none of pulling the axis straight out.
It's a press fit that easily fails. The magnets alone are not designed to hold it. If the motor shaft bent/flexed that much to allow it slip by the it's likely the motor controller now has a broken potentiometer. I would expect it to slide ride off the shaft with a little wiggle though.

burlbark said:
Rust said:
burlbark said:

It's a press fit that easily fails. The magnets alone are not designed to hold it. If the motor shaft bent/flexed that much to allow it slip by the it's likely the motor controller now has a broken potentiometer. I would expect it to slide ride off the shaft with a little wiggle though.

Using this image as reference:
10806911_10152404208781576_1053029728_n.jpg

You mean I should be able to pull the bit with the larger green circle right off? It seemed to be putting up quite a struggle when I tried.

The part with the big green circle should be able to slide to the right in that image. It must have done so in order to get how it is in the first place.

If it tweeked past it then the motor shaft will be bent and more than likely the potentiometer will need replacing along with the motor shaft removed annealed straightened and re-tempered. its becoming a daily thing now.

CityZen said:
The part with the big green circle should be able to slide to the right in that image. It must have done so in order to get how it is in the first place.

It doesn't slide off, even after putting force on it the thing doesn't want to get out.

Rust said:
CityZen said:

It doesn't slide off, even after putting force on it the thing doesn't want to get out.

You can pm me and I will give you my number to call.

burlbark said:
Rust said:
CityZen said:

You can pm me and I will give you my number to call.

Cheers I've sent you a PM

Thanks burlbark (from USdronerepair) for the help, I now have another issue that arose.

Wow thanks for the help! That did the trick I managed to flip the camera back to the correct position after some tough work removing the 3 screws behind the control board. Here's an image:

10815796_10152407979176576_1359972017_n.jpg

So now I can actually fly the drone without the "Remove gimbal clamp" error.

But, of course, there comes additional problems. The camera responds to all the commands given from the controller as well as through my Samsung Galaxy S4 except that the screen is completely blue and it says that an SD card is not inserted even though one is. Do you have any idea how to fix this?

10807870_10152407976831576_455100192_n.jpg

If anyone else can provide advice it would be much appreciated!

You have your answer already. This is due to the ribbon cable tear. Replacement cable is $85 from ATK Drones. They can install too for additional cost.

Actually, the SD card issue may be due to the 4-pin connector coming out.

CityZen said:
You have your answer already. This is due to the ribbon cable tear. Replacement cable is $85 from ATK Drones. They can install too for additional cost.

Actually, the SD card issue may be due to the 4-pin connector coming out.

Thanks for that, looks like I'll have to send it to the shop.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj