Inventor looking for input for new accessory

Reaction score
Dave's not here.

No man, I'm Dave. Open up.

Dave's not here.

Sorry everyone. I removed the password protection. It's open and live. Thanks for your patience during my stupidity.

DCSConcepts said:
Sorry everyone. I removed the password protection. It's open and live. Thanks for your patience during my stupidity.

What's yer product?

He says it weighs around 300 grams. Wouldn't want to add that much weight to my F550, never mind a Phantom!

I've been told and have read that the Phantom can carry 250-350 g with no problems. Flight duration would be reduced for sure, but the game I'm designing has two ten-minute halves so players can exchange batteries. In any case, I'm looking at all ways to reduce the weight to around 200 g.

A bare P2 weighs 1000g and DJI recommended takeoff weight is up to 1300g.
A P2V+ weighs 1242g and most P2 owners also have their machines loaded up with cameras, gimbals and FPV equipment.

DCSConcepts said:
Sorry, I have to keep a bit of secret for now...
:shock: And you want info ? :lol:

300 grams? That eliminates hookers and blow delivery. :cry:

DCSConcepts said:
I've been told and have read that the Phantom can carry 250-350 g with no problems. Flight duration would be reduced for sure, but the game I'm designing has two ten-minute halves so players can exchange batteries. In any case, I'm looking at all ways to reduce the weight to around 200 g.

I would not say it can carry 250-300g with "no problem". Once a P2 is fully laden with gimbal, camera, et al not only is it at maximum load, it wont be doing any Cuban Eights. Lets put it that way :lol:

I think you may be targetting the wrong quad, and I think your questionaire results are going to be a bit meaningless if we dont know what it is you are offering. For example, what do you expect people to respond to a question about how much they would be willing to pay for something when they have no clue of whether they would even want it ?

Thank you for the information.

On DJI's website (http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus/spec) they list the weight of the P2V+ including batteries, props, at 1242 g as you stated. Since it's the spec for the P2V+, would you agree that the weight indicated includes the camera and setup? If a bare P2 weighs 1000 g, that would mean the camera, etc. weighs in at 242 g.

DJI's recommended max payload indicated in their user manual is 1350 g. So, without the camera, the P2V+ could lift 350 grams and still be within DJI's recommendations. (That said, my goal is for players to be able to keep their cameras mounted so they can play utilizing the camera and enjoy FPV if desired.)

I guess what's also throwing me off in terms of P2's capabilities are the videos I've seen in which a bare P2 pulls off lifting and flying OK with a 675g can of soda and a 600 g RC plane, although the duration of the flights are only a few minutes (although one with a bottle of beer was for several minutes).

With a 12 ounce 675 g soda can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDV_S3HUkzo

With a 600 g RC plane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoM7x7q4lUM

Again, I'm shooting for 200-250 grams, for players to fly/play for 2 10-minute halves, and ideally keep their cameras mounted.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Hi Hughey,

Understood. I'm just not able to disclose the concept at this time. I tried to describe it as best I could at the website, but I'll elaborate a bit more.

It's a competitive game for one player (against the clock or his/her own previous "record") or more common, two or more players, i.e. two teams. Game setup is designed to be quick as is takedown, with everything fitting into a good quality storage duffle bag.

The game equipment is/will be thoughtfully designed, of high quality materials and build, durable, and the technology I plan to use is proven, straightforward and relatively simple. My goal here is that playing the game has little or no impact on a player's HUV and requires virtually no modifications.

There would be two 10-minute halves to the game so that at half-time, players would install fresh batteries. The playing area would be open enough (obviously) for flying indoors or out, but the field boundaries can be up to the players. The larger the field, the more challenging the game is. Players would be racing and maneuvering from one end of the field to the other, trying to "score" more points than their opponents, and playing defensively to prevent scoring. I can't go into too much detail there, but the goal is to avoid setting up any risk of in-air collisions. Altitude-wise, I'd say on average about 10 - 20 feet above the field, although with variations as players maneuver about the field.

Overall, it would be competitive but friendly, on the exhilarating side (I think but then again, I'm a wimp) and a hell of a lotta fun to play.

I hope that helps a bit more.

I can't imagine subjecting my $1,300 Phantom to a "racing" game (certainly not indoors) or trying to use it to "defend" against another Phantom.

barefootbeachcombing said:
I can't imagine subjecting my $1,300 Phantom to a "racing" game (certainly not indoors) or trying to use it to "defend" against another Phantom.

I'm with you-

In fact, that was exactly what I was thinking when I thought about creating the game. My concept is not like extreme racing (or an extreme sport for that matter), nor is there a risk of collision unless a player is careless, and if they are careless they could crash their $1300 quad just flying in a field on a sunny calm day.

In fact, the maneuvering I mentioned that is involved in the game requires a pilot to fly as smoothly and gingerly as possible, but also as quickly as possible because the clock is ticking and there's a competitor out there that wants to win. That type of flying takes skill, some discipline and patience.

The idea here is to give a player a bit of a "rush"– not out of fear of crashing into a tree or another drone, but out of possibly losing the game. That's just simple competitive fun.

DCSConcepts said:

300 to 400 grams is what I've read. BUT, you need to keep in mind that a large number of us use First Person Viewing or FPV. This adds a video transmitter, an IOSD and cables. This requires a camera. Non-vision models usually have a 3D gimbal and a GoPro camera.

I haven't yet weighed all of these items, but few can carry all of this, plus 400 grams more. Keep this in mind. :)

EDIT: I posted before reading, as I usually do, to give an unbiased opinion. In this case, I should have read more as I have zero interest in any type of game.

DCSConcepts said:
On DJI's website (http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus/spec) they list the weight of the P2V+ including batteries, props, at 1242 g as you stated. Since it's the spec for the P2V+, would you agree that the weight indicated includes the camera and setup? If a bare P2 weighs 1000 g, that would mean the camera, etc. weighs in at 242 g.
The whole point of the P2 is that it allows the purchaser to specifically NOT choose the Vision+ gimbal camera arrangement. A typical bolt on weight for a P2 (assuming for the purposes of this discussion a H3-3D gimbal, Go Pro Hero 3, Flytrex 3G and Immersion RC 600 vTX) is 300g.

It is pointless looking at weight lifting achievements with bottles of soda and bags of cement, because what we are interesting in is sustained flight, not something which is going to rip the legs off.

It seems to me that your proposal only has a case if you are targetting a P2 which is not set up for FPV. Not sure that is the broadest market to be going for. I would look at other quads too.

Good luck.

Thanks Hughie. My goal, no surprise, is to be as universal a product as possible. I will keep working on the design to reduce overall weight, and once the weather warms up, test with my P2+ and others... If you have any interest in joining my group of testers, advisors, please email me a dcutler at dcsconcepts (dot) com. Many thanks-

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4