Into the Gulf!

Reaction score
I had my new Vision+ via a quick wind current tap the roof of a dock house and trow it into the Gulf of Mexico. Like any decent Phantom Pilot, I stripped down and jumped in after it. After about 15-30 min of freediving, I actually found it on the bottom about 30yds out. I brought it out of the water and it was still making noise. After a fresh water rinse and a 24 hr stint of packing it with top removed of course in rice, I retrieved the SD card and all but the final video was good to go. The Battery was imploded upon impact with the salt water so that was removed right away on taking it out of the water. After drying in rice, I installed a new battery and I now get about 1-2 seconds of power with the beep, all 4 lights blinking once then the small red led comes on which is located on the aircraft body 4 O'Clock position from the camera perspective then all shuts down. I can repeatedly do this so I am thinking there must be some protection circuit stopping it from fully coming up to working condition. Any ideas would be appreciated. I can send it to the "Nerds" down in Miami for a possible working on it but wanted to know if anyone has ideas as I believe there will most likely be a minimum $100 bench charge to just see if it is totaled. I see no corrosion or any capacitors bulging. I can do good soldering and have repaired several capacitor items in my appliances so just looking for ideas. Also, anyone have a wiring schematic? I have yet to see one out on line. ANY help would be MOST appreciated. I fly 3-5 times a week so I sure miss my Vision 2+, Still have my Phantom 2 with GoPro but love the features of the Vision 2+. Thanks again in advance! -PJ

We've had a few Phantoms that have been damaged from taking a swim.. Most of the main components that get damaged total out to be what you can buy a new Phantom Vision+ for without even adding labor.. IMO, not worth the cost to rebuild..

PART11 Phantom 2 Vision GPS Module 1x $159
PART2 P2V+ Camera Unit 1x $679
PART5 Phantom 2 Vision Motor(CCW) 2x $29
PART6 Phantom 2 Vision Motor(CW) 2x $29
PART7 Phantom 2 Vision ESC 4x $19
PART9 Phantom 2 Vision MC 1x $229
$1202.00

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Just thought if it was trying to power up there may be ONE part that was fried. Camera Unit appears perfect but...worth asking out there if anyone had this experience. Thanks for the quick reply though.

If one arm's LED is on, that means a bad ESC on that arm.

If its a throw-away, disconnect all the ESC leads and try to power it up... if its up, connect to DJI assistant software. If it looks good, try connecting to it with your iPhone/Android. If it still looks good, blow a few $$ on a new ESC and give it a shot. But you should know, salt water usually is death.

spectre53 said:
I had my new Vision+ via a quick wind current tap the roof of a dock house and trow it into the Gulf of Mexico. Like any decent Phantom Pilot, I stripped down and jumped in after it. After about 15-30 min of freediving, I actually found it on the bottom about 30yds out. I brought it out of the water and it was still making noise. After a fresh water rinse and a 24 hr stint of packing it with top removed of course in rice, I retrieved the SD card and all but the final video was good to go. The Battery was imploded upon impact with the salt water so that was removed right away on taking it out of the water. After drying in rice, I installed a new battery and I now get about 1-2 seconds of power with the beep, all 4 lights blinking once then the small red led comes on which is located on the aircraft body 4 O'Clock position from the camera perspective then all shuts down. I can repeatedly do this so I am thinking there must be some protection circuit stopping it from fully coming up to working condition. Any ideas would be appreciated. I can send it to the "Nerds" down in Miami for a possible working on it but wanted to know if anyone has ideas as I believe there will most likely be a minimum $100 bench charge to just see if it is totaled. I see no corrosion or any capacitors bulging. I can do good soldering and have repaired several capacitor items in my appliances so just looking for ideas. Also, anyone have a wiring schematic? I have yet to see one out on line. ANY help would be MOST appreciated. I fly 3-5 times a week so I sure miss my Vision 2+, Still have my Phantom 2 with GoPro but love the features of the Vision 2+. Thanks again in advance! -PJ

Salt water is not friendly.

Every component must be stripped disassembled and acid washed.

Next all surface mount components must be examined.

Replace all blown components, and there will be many and possible not limited to the esc's.

Now every component gets reflowed, coat every pcb in flux and bring every board up to 630F. Take notice that many of the plugs will melt at this temp so find a way to isolate them.

From all the water dunked drones/multirotor that I have worked on I have found 99% of the times you need to replace all the esc's. I have saved one from saltwater that was powered on overnight. It was a mess.

Jeremy James

I've dunked plenty of mobile phones while boating and not a single one came back to life flawlessly. Most were DOA, but of the ones that were revived after going through the total treatment, all had some kind of lingering issue that never cleared up. And even these croaked "inexplicably" not too long afterwards.

Ironically, you may be better off when you're Phantom is a goner right off the bat. What you don't want is be lulled into joy thinking it's ok and then have it drop out of the sky 2 weeks later when the ticking time bomb it picked up in the water finally triggers a component failure.

I was filming for a real estate agent yesterday and I was over water... salt water.

I lost GPS lock for a second, it drifted into a branch, did a somersault and landed in the water.

I submerged it in isopropyl alcohol for two hours. BUT I'm afraid to even test it because I don't want to ruin the remaining battery.

:cry:

hunch said:
not quite done yet.

i've fixed over 20 "dunked" phantoms 2 vision and vision + in past couple months alone.

if you want you can send it my way and i can find out what you need.

look at my post here with some success stories:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27737

also my FB group gets live updates on all the builds and fixes.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1488547618072392/

Sounds good Hunch. I'd like to have a look at that "another successful fix of a dunked Phantom.." but the link is broken. Can you fix that too :)

Cheers.

Just search for group "UAV repair" and join the group. I will add you to it
Not sure where you got that link because if you look at my link
It looks completely different than the one you have.

Sorry about that. But search the group and it will pop up.
Thanks

Hani.

Salt water baths are pretty bad. Mine took a dive into a fresh water swimming pool and was sitting in water powered up for a couple of minutes.

Lost the gimbal, gopro, the receiver module, main board and all 4 ESCs. I opened up the Naza and gave it an alcohol bath and then put it in a dehydrator for an hour or so. Once I replaced all the fried stuff and put everything back together, everything came back to life, but I still don't 100% trust that Naza module.

yeah salt water is ruthless to electronics.
if not rinsed with fresh water and air dried right away corrosion will start doing its thing within hours.

i have been successful in reviving fresh and salt water damaged phantoms thou.
all electronics, ESCs, main board, NAZA, RX,.. pretty much everything that has solder on it needs to be checked and inspected.
if motors are good then taking them apart, cleaning and oiling the bearings is a must.

I found that pretty much anything that had straight battery voltage and amperage going through it got fried. Which is why the main board and ESCs were gone for good as well as the gimbal control board, which was fed by the two aux power wires that come off the board.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20