Into the drink

Reaction score
Anyone know who the best place is to repair and hopefully salvage a P3P that hit the water and submerged for 30-60 seconds. I'm not touching it until it's repaired! I'm prepared to have to use it for parts at this point.

Sent from my PT beating heart

remove the battery, wash it out with clean water as best as poss(opening it up helps), blow it out and dry it as much as poss, put it in a big bag of rice, forget it for 2 weeks, hope for the best. good luck

I really dont know the best place for repairs ,but in the mean time , This is what I would do,,,,NOW
Get a video camera set it up next to the P3( for referance) Take apart the shell, Have some little zip loc bags , group and mark every nut bolt in the bag.
Air in a can in short burst then Put a fan on it, or ,put it in bags of rice(treat it gently while in the rice), for a few days.
I would also (if possible ) take the lens and the back of the camera off.(I would think that would be the most expensive part.
Salt water is a whole different animal. Even if it gets up and running ,unless you give it a bath in fresh water it will eventually corrode

for sure get it apart now. don't let the water sit in there even for the rest of the day today. take it totally apart and let it get to drying.

parts that can come loose - ziplock rice bags.

everything else - bigger ziplock rice bags :)

and forget it for like a week.

I had a similar incident last weekend. Mine was approx 3ft under water for about 30-45 seconds.
Took it out of the water(fresh water lake). removed battery, removed camera and gimbal(dried that as best I could and put in bag of rice).
Took off the top part of the shell and wiped everything down then sprayed all circuits etc with CorrosionX. It stops rust immediately and is safe on electronics.
http://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-X-A...F8&qid=1436677430&sr=1-1&keywords=corrosion+x
Let the whole thing sit for 72 hours.
There was some condensation inside the camera lens. I removed the lens cover and put it back in rice(the whole camera and gimbal) for another 24 hrs.

I put everything back together and it flew and behaved as normal.

I would suggest buying these Silica Gel packs and using them instead of rice. They adsorb moisture much better and they don't cause a mess and get in the tiny nooks and crannies like rice grains do.
http://www.amazon.com/Silica-Gel-Desiccants-2-1-Inches/dp/B003DKQB02?

Good Luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20