Internet nightmare

Reaction score
I purchased my Phantom 4 a couple of weeks ago and still haven't flown it yet. Still trying to educate myself with all the endless information. My biggest problem is if I had known beforehand that having a Internet connection was so dependent in order to fly a drone, I probably would never have bought it. Abviously I have no Internet available where I live. Unfortunately I have a lot of money invested in this. P4, 3 batteries, carrying case, new Ipad mini 2. Have to run 20 miles into town to use their WiFi to download the DJI Go app and now I realize that I have to update the firmware! I don't think McDonald's would appreciate me bringing the Phantom, Controller and my mobile device into their store. Really a bummer. And then to just a week or two later have to do it all over again. Thought I could just purchase the Phantom 4 and enjoy flying it endlessly.
I do have a question though. Why when I use my android does it show that my firmware is up to date, but when I use my iPad mini 2 it says that a firmware update is required?
Thanks in advance
Mike

Surely you must have a friend that has internet.

Another idea is to buy a Big Breakfast at McDonald's while you're downloading firmware.

Another idea is to talk to the manager, explain your problem, and then buy a cheeseburger while you download.

Another idea is to do it from the McDonald's parking lot.

Starbucks too

Welcome to the forums Mike. The updates are suggested but optional. I haven't updated my GoApp or the P3S in almost a year.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
If you have cell service then you can get internet depending on who provides your cell service.

What every one is saying is right on. But, there is a lot of useful information on the net that makes using the drone easier. Unfortunately the manual sucks. I really wish an informed group would get together an write a real one.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
It sounds like you live in a farm or other place with lots of open fields, just get out there and start flying on beginner mode until you get used to the controls until you go to McDonald's and download a manual or youtube video to watch later, I live in the city and can't just go fly my P3 in my backyard [emoji20].

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks all. When connected to the Phantom with a 'ready to go w/gps', it says that a firmware download is requied. I though that I read where when this happens that it will not let you fly? Or if you get the green 'ready to fly' status it will fly in certain situations? Regardless I found a neighbor down the street that had satellite Internet. They let hook up to it and I was able to download and update the firmware. I read that you should then calibrate the IMU, the Gimbal, the Compass and the Remote Controller. I did all of these. However now my gimbal movement is very slow when tilting downward, but normal speed when tilting up. Where before I did these updates, the ggimbal worked fine. Tried recalibrating it and adjusting the speed but didn't help. Any ideas? I did just fly it for the first time awhile ago and the experience was fantastic!

Reactions: Electro32

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj