Internal Flytrex install without SD extension

Reaction score
With my Central Circuit Board removed (another sad story) and waiting for a replacement and my new Flytrex looking at me, It was time to get creative. With some delicate carving it is possible to mount the Flytrex Core next to the Internal Power Plug with the SD card facing the rear for easy access.

The Carving
IMG_0944.JPG

Test Fitting
IMG_0946.JPG

Final Fitting
IMG_0949.JPG

Top View Final
IMG_0950.JPG

Easy access to Micro SD protected by battery during flight
IMG_0951.JPG

very cool idea...

Nice! And perfect timing, I was just about to go figure out where to mount my flytrex in the battery bay.

Is yours just held in place there by friction?

GetaGrip said:
With some delicate carving it is possible to mount the Flytrex Core next to the Internal Power Plug with the SD card facing the rear for easy access.

Was most of your carving done with a dremel?

OI Photography said:
Nice! And perfect timing, I was just about to go figure out where to mount my flytrex in the battery bay.

Is yours just held in place there by friction?
Friction and a small bead of GOOP Marine on the back between the board and Phantom shell. It is a snug fit and you will need to remove the heat shrink from the Flytrex. You will also have to trim the excess pins sticking out through the Flytrex board on the lower GPS connector.

GetaGrip said:
It is a snug fit and you will need to remove the heat shrink from the Flytrex. You will also have to trim the excess pins sticking out through the Flytrex board on the lower GPS connector.

I did this mod last night after looking at your pictures... Great idea!

I didn't have to remove anything from the Flytrex. It's still intact, heat shrink and all...
I will admit, my 'carving' abilities were not as neat as yours, but nothing devastating... Pics to follow...

Just a question:
Would silicone be OK to use to stabilize it, or would it eat through the Phantom plastic? I may just use hot glue...

I was actually working on a way to place the Flytrex in the Phantom with the ribbon extension cable yesterday afternoon, then I took a break and read your post...

Thanks for sharing this great idea...

Done this to mine last month however I had to fit the flytrex on the other side of the bay as my tk102 tracker is on that side, saves a lot of hassle :)

And putting the battery in doesn't want to unclip the memory card? Looks nice and neat, but wonder about memory card behind the battery?

dastagg said:
And putting the battery in doesn't want to unclip the memory card? Looks nice and neat, but wonder about memory card behind the battery?
Hard to see how that could happen, the good thing is if it did the battery would hold it in place until you land.

PJA said:
Just a question:
Would silicone be OK to use to stabilize it, or would it eat through the Phantom plastic? I may just use hot glue...

Hot glue should be just fine, I did test the Goop on an old broken prop and didn't see any problems with softening of the plastic. Goop Marine is thin consistency silicon so it will flow a bit.

Pull_Up said:
Very neat. The temperature sensor will probably read high due to proximity to the battery (and possible get less accuracy from the baro if the surrounding air is warmer than ambient?) but that's a lovely neat solution - well done!
Thank you Pull_Up, I'll make a note of that and do some cross checking once I get back into the air.

Your solution inspired me to do something similar in the P2 shell I'm migrating my P1 to. Since I won't have the P2 power connecter installed, I was able to do it with just a bit less trimming, and the flytrex ends up sitting a bit higher and farther back, which is fine with me.

I had to remove one of the ports on the flytrex board along with the heatshrink, and I shortened the flytrex phantom cable so it just reaches the board. Just a little 2-sided tape was all I needed to keep it in place.

b8m9Wibl.jpg

vegC39cl.jpg

hZDIb4Xl.jpg

Qf4eXSgl.jpg

oknQXfwl.jpg

iKRSBE9l.jpg

kXjcWacl.jpg

I carved my way into the Flytrex Core Battery Compartment club too...
I modified my P1 to P2 Hybrid Conversion with the same Flytrex Core install as the OP, GetaGrip...

Here are a few of my pics of the install:
13369379064_87e5903fa7_h.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it... Thanks for the idea again, GetaGrip...

PJA said:
I modified my P1 to P2 Hybrid Conversion with the same Flytrex Core install as the OP, GetaGrip...

What is your naza led module for?

djscoutmaster said:
PJA said:

What is your naza led module for?

I'm converting my Phantom 1 into a Phantom 2 shell. The Naza LED takes the place of the Status LED on the Phantom 1. The Status LEDs are integrated in the original P2 under arm LEDs; something you can't do with the Phantom conversion... There are a number of ways to set up the Status LED...

You can find all the info how this is done in this thread:
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7017

A bunch of us are converting to a P2 Shell... We get the best of both Phantom worlds by being able to use any Lipo Batteries that will fit in the battery compartment, or use the P2 5200mah Battery also...

First i'd heard of Flytrex, looks like a great way to add production value to racing vids using Dashware. If only there was a way to stream that data live as an alternative to iOSD.

Also, would something like this help with getting the data off the card without opening up the Phantom?

http://gizmodo.com/5321059/wi-fi-micros ... look-obese

* Edit * Doesn't look like its available anywhere, and not sure if it even has storage, just gives a device wifi capability...

Certainly feasible though, if eyeFi made a microSD card that should work.

Maybe something like this instead with an SD eyeFi card?

http://club.dx.com/reviews/text/27001

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.