Intermittent Compass Problem

Reaction score
After non-stop rain I was able to take my new (replacement) P2 out flying at two different locations. The first flight went flawlessly, running patterns for about 25 minutes. It was more test flight than anything else.

The second flight was at a new location by the waterfront. The P2 showed red/yellow lights on startup, so I calibrated the compass and it returned to green. After about 5 minutes of flying, the lights flashed red/yellow for about 10-20 seconds, then returned to green. I landed the P2, re-calibrated the compass, and took off. After a few minutes, the same thing happened - red/yellow, then back to green. And then it happened a third time. I tried flying it in different directions to see if it was some kind of localized interference.

My fourth flight went fine, with no issues.

Any ideas about what is going on? Is this interference from nearby metal objects? Here is a pic of the environment:

Or is it a problem with the P2 and calibration? The setup includes AVL58 Tx, skew plans wheel antenna, iOSD mini, and Hub.

I'll try another test flight in a different location to see if that has something to do with it.

Attachments

• LakeUnion.jpg
    LakeUnion.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 362
Have you tried flying at another location after having the compass problems.

Your photo looks like its taken near a dock or wharf, is possible that there are large chunks of metal buried in the ground under the grass etc (i.e bit of old crane's or metal mooring posts etc etc)

So I'd try flying somewhere that has not been a problem in the past, as see if you have the issue again.

You should probably also connect the Phantom to the RC and look at the compass Mod value.
I think it should be around 1500 or 1600 (mine is) - I'm sure others can tell you what a good value of Mod needs to be for the compass

Thanks Roger for the reply. I have not had a chance to fly in another location, but that is my plan. I'll also check the readings in the Assistant software.

I'd be interested in knowing what's going on too.
Btw, why was the Phantom replaced? Lost ot crashed? If lost, did dji come good for it?

gavinski said:
My first Phantom crashed. You can read about it here:

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8967

Upon closer inspection the Zenmuse Gimbal and the CAN BUS port were both broken, in addition to all of the other damage. So I decided to get a new Phantom.

Did you keep that first one (or the pile of parts it became)? I'm looking for a fixer-upper Phantom to see if I can rebuild.

OI Photography said:
gavinski said:
My first Phantom crashed. You can read about it here:

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8967

Upon closer inspection the Zenmuse Gimbal and the CAN BUS port were both broken, in addition to all of the other damage. So I decided to get a new Phantom.

Did you keep that first one (or the pile of parts it became)? I'm looking for a fixer-upper Phantom to see if I can rebuild.

Yes, I still have the pile of parts, but I haven't decided on whether to rebuild it or keep it for spares parts. But I'll also consider selling it - so send me a message and we can discuss offline.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.