Interference with multiple Phantoms in close proximity?

Rip

Reaction score
I’m relatively new to drones/quads, I’ve had all manor of other RC systems which are usually 2.4GHz and never get any interference with multiple devices all in the same area but I’ve noticed if I fly my P3A in the same area as another P3A we both get a very laggy video feed even with my CrystalSky screen, is this normal? Totally understandable if this is normal, just want to get to the bottom of it.

I very rarely get any lag or video disruption if I’m out on my own.

Have you tried manually selecting a custom channel different to the other user and standing at least 15 mtrs apart? I've attended demonstration days with multiple phantoms buzzing around with no ill effects.

I've not flown with a CrystalSky display (yet) but I actually teach EMS/LEO/SAR groups and we fly up to 5 Phantoms at a time in very close proximity with no problems what so ever. We do this without selecting channels etc. In one normal size soccer field we had 4 flying side by side recently with no ill effects.

As stated none were flying CrystalSky. We fly Phantoms 3P or Phantom4.

Have you tried manually selecting a custom channel different to the other user and standing at least 15 mtrs apart? I've attended demonstration days with multiple phantoms buzzing around with no ill effects.

So I've never messed with the channel changing. What's up with it ? Can this make the video feed from a standard better ?

So I've never messed with the channel changing. What's up with it ? Can this make the video feed from a standard better ?
The app normally defaults to auto which can be changed to custom to enable you to find an inteference free channel. Additionally I lower the transmission bit rate (setting directly below the channel selection in the app) to 4 Mbps. I ended up with a much better control signal with significantly less video lag on my device. The quality of the footage on the microSD card remains unaffected and set to whatever photo/video selection that you have made.

The app normally defaults to auto which can be changed to custom to enable you to find an inteference free channel. Additionally I lower the transmission bit rate (setting directly below the channel selection in the app) to 4 Mbps. I ended up with a much better control signal with significantly less video lag on my device. The quality of the footage on the microSD card remains unaffected and set to whatever photo/video selection that you have made.

Hmmm. I'm gonna try this. Never done it before but I'm gonna see if I can figure it out. Can i do this using 2.9.1 go app. Thanks

Hmmm. I'm gonna try this. Never done it before but I'm gonna see if I can figure it out. Can i do this using 2.9.1 go app. Thanks
I'm using the GO4 app but I'm sure I've read that the standard GO app has the same feature. Open the camera view, powered up, tap the three dots upper RH corner. Scroll down to the HD icon, tap and you should see the channel and bit rate settings.
Re reading you original post suggests that you have a P3S? Not sure now if you will see that icon given that the unit runs on its own internal wifi....
Failing that, there may be a further discussion regarding antenna mods etc.

I'm using the GO4 app but I'm sure I've read that the standard GO app has the same feature. Open the camera view, powered up, tap the three dots upper RH corner. Scroll down to the HD icon, tap and you should see the channel and bit rate settings.
Re reading you original post suggests that you have a P3S? Not sure now if you will see that icon given that the unit runs on its own internal wifi....
Failing that, there may be a further discussion regarding antenna mods etc.

Yes - my standard is the one all of a sudden that has the problem, video feed back just isn't as good as it used to be. My pro is working great on the same device

Yes - my standard is the one all of a sudden that has the problem, video feed back just isn't as good as it used to be. My pro is working great on the same device
Hmm, my original PS3 had endless issues anywhere near wifi or electrical inteference. Out in the open and with a windsurfer on the antenna, it was 100% better both in range and video feed. Your pro and my P4 uses lightbridge technology which is a million percent better. Your device may be running back ground apps possibly that whilst not a big problem for light bridge, will tax your wifi and cpu trying to process all the info required to fly. Maybe try an open area as well and see if that improves the experience.

Reactions: Indiana_pyro
Thanks tevek, this standard has run flawless for over a year now. Not sure why the issue lately. I still have video, it's just not as good and a little jumpy. Does it in both litchi and go.

Thanks tevek, this standard has run flawless for over a year now. Not sure why the issue lately. I still have video, it's just not as good and a little jumpy. Does it in both litchi and go.
If you have updated either the FW or updated to the recent app, there have been a number of threads regarding loss of performance with their devices. They are becoming quite bloated in their size and either force stopping anything running in the background, switching to airplane mode or upgrading to another device altogether. Not sure what device you are running, I only use iOS and will be getting a dedicated tablet by the end of the year to run as a standalone.
Hopefully you can either try another flying area, get yourself a windsurfer or see if there is something on your device that may be impacting on the video transmission.

I’m relatively new to drones/quads, I’ve had all manor of other RC systems which are usually 2.4GHz and never get any interference with multiple devices all in the same area but I’ve noticed if I fly my P3A in the same area as another P3A we both get a very laggy video feed even with my CrystalSky screen, is this normal? Totally understandable if this is normal, just want to get to the bottom of it.

I very rarely get any lag or video disruption if I’m out on my own.
YES, I notice interference from other DJI pilots when they are too close to me, both with P3P, P4 and P4P, all the time. Green screens, video breakup, etc. I never see this when flying alone. This isn't a display issue (iPad or Android), it an RC interference issue with controllers being too close to each other. I suggest at least a 100ft separation of controllers, and try to select different custom channels, far away from others nearby. If there's only two of you, one fly 2.4 and the other 5.8ghz bands if one of you are flying P4P. P3A and P3P should use the 32ch hack to add more channels to prevent this interference.

YES, I notice interference from other DJI pilots when they are too close to me, both with P3P, P4 and P4P, all the time. Green screens, video breakup, etc. I never see this when flying alone. This isn't a display issue (iPad or Android), it an RC interference issue with controllers being too close to each other. I suggest at least a 100ft separation of controllers, and try to select different custom channels, far away from others nearby. If there's only two of you, one fly 2.4 and the other 5.8ghz bands if one of you are flying P4P. P3A and P3P should use the 32ch hack to add more channels to prevent this interference.

So how do you select what band to fly on?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20