Interference questions from newbie

Reaction score
This forum looks like a good place to learn a few things. I have a stock Phantom 2 w zen gimbal and gopro 3. Had it about 2 weeks.

Trying to understand interference and effects on flight. So as I look around a few fields and open places around my neighborhood there are telephone poles. There are also green boxes about 5 ft wide and 4 foot tall. I have no idea what is in them... maybe electrical panels managed by the city, etc? More telephone stuff? I have no idea.

So as a person looks around the landscape what am I trying to avoid in terms of proximity? I had to two odd crashes that were a total mystery and I am wondering if the green bank of electrical boxes you see in the foreground of the tower caused something weird. The phantom just instantly dumped to the same side and same direction twice for no reason. Both in this area. It had been flying perfectly for the first couple of weeks. The last one busted the gimbal mounts and tore the wiring out of the harness. The unit was calibrated with the help of the dealer beforehand so I am not sure it was something in set up. Batteries were fresh.

Could it be interference from those boxes in this video?
http://vimeo.com/89368390

Not sure what safe distances are or even what to avoid in terms of proximity. The Phantom is in for repair and I will ask my dealer the thoughts on this matter. I just happened to think about it after reviewing the footage a few times.

Thanks. Sorry if this is in the wrong thread. Just want a better understanding of interference, what to look out for and what are safe distances when you see them.

thanks!

Steve

I haven't seen any issues with the small local power lines. And after watching the "superman" video the other day I decided I had to have a go at the LA "river" despite the giant regional power lines on either side. It was a little extra difficult to keep it flying straight, so maybe there was a little EMI affecting the compass but it was all still perfectly controllable.

As for your video, those boxes have nothing to do with it. That looks like a hardware problem. One of your motors or ESCs is cutting out or the Naza has a bad contact. Something is not right.

ianwood said:
I haven't seen any issues with the small local power lines. And after watching the "superman" video the other day I decided I had to have a go at the LA "river" despite the giant regional power lines on either side. It was a little extra difficult to keep it flying straight, so maybe there was a little EMI affecting the compass but it was all still perfectly controllable.

As for your video, those boxes have nothing to do with it. That looks like a hardware problem. One of your motors or ESCs is cutting out or the Naza has a bad contact. Something is not right.

Are you flying GPS or ATTI here? I have a park near my house with many wires that I swear took control of my phantom in GPS mode. I assume the cause was interference from one or more of the lines. Could be cable television, phone or power line.

Welcome to the world of phantom! My 2 month old P2 dropped out if the sky twice last week. No apparent reason. I own multiple UAV,s all running naza that have hundreds of flights on them. As soon as my phantom returns from service he's getting traded in for a tbs discovery.
Good luck with that one!

I was flying in GPS mode. As I said, the only thing I noticed was it was a little harder to keep straight, that's all. Keep in mind those are regional power lines for Los Angeles. Major power running through them. 1,000s of times more powerful than the average local power lines.

I do have a Futaba receiver and transmitter but if you watch this behind the scenes video, these guys are in the same location with a stock setup:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OgxR2zz6Nw[/youtube]

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31