Interesting shell crack observation

Reaction score
I am trying to rebuild a P3P that was crashed and I had to replace the shell. New motors came in yesterday and I managed to get two installed before I had to quit for the day.
When I went out this AM I noticed a CRACK between two screw holes on both motors! These motors have never been run or even hooked up. I made sure that the screws were snug but not tight. Looks like something is stressing the mounting points. Very frustrating!!!

I have some of the stuff..
my contention is that they should not crack just from mounting the motor!!!

If you tighten the screws to tight, this will happen.
The odd thing is, I have a Walkera QRX350 and it has reinforcement plates/heat sink thing directly under the motors between the motors and the plastic. I have never heard of a cracking issue with the QRX350. Seems DJI would have thought of this. It looks like a five cent disk of aluminium.
Also, you did not use lock tight did you?

Can you tell me how many Phantom 3 repairs (4x motor supports each) I can expect from a 6oz. pack of Plast-Aid, please?
I have 3 Phantoms which I intend going "belt & braces" on with the Plast-Aid and Aluminium Base Support Plates. Would I need more than one jar of the gloop? Might as well get enough and have some in reserve.

I'm more than slightly miffed that I have to do this after only a couple of flights since January and developed serious web cracks. Photos already posted for P3/4k & P3Pro. I don't intend losing potentially 8 weeks out of the short summer flying time. Nor do I want to inherit someone elses well worn 'refurb'! I know that my P3's have low flying time and have been well cared for on my side.

TIA, Alan.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20