Interesting interfearance issue

Reaction score
My Son got a small non-GPS drone for Christmas, he was flying it on his property and ended up having a fly away. He said he was up about 50 feet, and it started acting odd so he tried to bring it home. It suddenly made a direct bee-line to the woods directly below and vanished. He looked for it for quite a while, and I went over and helped look as well, but we were unable to locate it.

A couple days later I took my P3S over to try and fly over the tree tops to see if we could at least see it. When I powered my P3S up I immediately got a message stating strong magnetic interference and to calibrate the compass. Calibration failed, tried two more times with the same result so I gave up. He told me there was a tower of some sort across the road from his property so we walked over to check it out. It was a 100 foot or so tall tower with access points used to provide Internet service. Having worked in that industry for several years I knew we were looking at 5.8, 900 or 2.4 radios, both Omni and sectional antennas. I figured that was the issue for sure and advised him to not fly on his property again because he would probably have the same results.

I ended up sending my P3S back and getting a P4. I took it out to his place just to check to see if I would still have the signal issue and I did not. Everything looked fine with the exception of GPS sat counts seemed to fluctuate quite a bit. I took the P4 up about 100 feet but really did not want to chance it so I did not stray too far away. So now, I do not know if the interference issue was temporary, or if the P4 was able to just work around it. I know he is wanting to get another drone when he can swing it, but not sure if it would be safe for him to fly on his property or not.

I have included a Healthy Drones link to my flight if anyone wants to check it. Not a critical issue by any means, just has my curiosity up.

Well, I am assuming that was the cause. Not sure what else it could have been. Either the P4 is resistant to whatever caused the issue prior, or the interfearance is gone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj