Interesting Flight Today-Lesson Learned

Reaction score
I had a beautiful day for flying in a park nearby, sun going down, wispy high clouds. All the makings of a great sunset. I flew off my first battery with no issues whatsoever. Got some decent footage, but it would get better as the light conditions improved. Oh, I forgot to mention that I upgraded to the latest firmware a week ago. The process went great, no problems, a successful upgrade. One minor detail I missed. I did not recalibrate the compass or IMU afterward.

My second flight is shown here
Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I got out past 10,000 feet, no issues. As I was coming back, I started getting compass error messages, then "ATTI MODE". Alright, no problem. I'll bring the bird back in atti mode. I started descending and everything is still ok. Then, just as I'm almost home, I get the "DISCONNECTED" message. I let go of the sticks, and because I'm in ATTI mode, the bird drifts in right toward me. If I'm disconnected much longer, it's going to RTH mode, and I don't know whats going to happen then. I am reconnected right at the home point, I slam the quad into the ground, and shut down the motors. No damage, and I got her back. Only later, on the hike back t the car and thinking about what happened did I understand. Failure to recalibrate after an upgrade is a major mistake.

Another thing. I'm getting some battery error messages. Is this anything to worry about? I think I have about 40 flights on that particular battery.

Compass and IMU are not an absolute must after an update. Good idea, I suppose, but not a must. You should keep your flights conservative for a while and see how things go. Battery errors are a problem. If one battery shows an error such as a bad cell, battery done. Don't fly it.

Reactions: hotashes
Only later, on the hike back t the car and thinking about what happened did I understand. Failure to recalibrate after an upgrade is a major mistake.
No, there is no need to recalibrate either after a firmware upgrade.
If it was important DJI would recommend it - and they don't.
It's just a forum superstition that seems to have taken off.
I've never recalibrated anything after firmware updates and never noticed any ill effects.

A forum myth to calibrate after upgrading. I think I'll probably buy into it and do it anyway.

I was flying in an area I had never been before, but not very far from home, so I saw no need to calibrate for that reason. Maybe there was some sort of interference from the towers around the area, but I was several miles away from them. Microwave? Perhaps, I don't know.

As far as the battery errors, heathy drones says they are within normal range. I'll just keep an eye on it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj