Interesting differences flying an FC40 & heavy P2

Reaction score
So we met up for a little flying today, me with my P2, loaded with gimbal, Gopro, TX, iosd etc. and Chris with his stock FC40. What a difference between the 2!

My P2 heaves itself into the air and fights hard against the 20kph breeze, managing to maintain position and altitude, but not able to make a lot of headway and really getting knocked off course when turning. The FC40 seems to not even notice the breeze, being noticeably quieter, faster to respond and much more stable. It looked a lot more fun to fly on a day like today, although I did enjoy the challenge of the wind!

Amazing the difference that the extra 500g or so of weight and the larger props makes to the quad. Battery life was almost the same between the 2, but in my defence, mine was only about 90% charged at the start and is getting on a little now.

Video to follow...

noiseboy72 said:
So we met up for a little flying today, me with my P2, loaded with gimbal, Gopro, TX, iosd etc. and Chris with his stock FC40. What a difference between the 2!

My P2 heaves itself into the air and fights hard against the 20kph breeze, managing to maintain position and altitude, but not able to make a lot of headway and really getting knocked off course when turning. The FC40 seems to not even notice the breeze, being noticeably quieter, faster to respond and much more stable. It looked a lot more fun to fly on a day like today, although I did enjoy the challenge of the wind!

Amazing the difference that the extra 500g or so of weight and the larger props makes to the quad. Battery life was almost the same between the 2, but in my defence, mine was only about 90% charged at the start and is getting on a little now.

Video to follow...

I'm sorry, and this sounds real mean with out a source, but the FC-40 is a piece of garbage compared to your Phantom 2...

It's all in what you use it for. I took my P2V with my custom gimbal to the airfield to a club meet up, and 13 year old Julian wanted to try my 9043 props on his FC40. It flew really well, but at the end he handed me the controls, as he could not figure out how to land the FC40 with all the extra lift :)

Bottom line, I think the FC40 is more fun. Why? Because it is not a $1200 investment down the drain when you crash it. The non proprietary batteries are dirt cheap, which means more flying time. And more flying time is more fun time :)

I'm with DK... each has it's place. I definitely don't think the FC40 is "garbage". And, like DK says... there are some advantages.

I don't think I'd trade in my P2V for a FC40... but as a supplemental (and more nimble) bird, to get a little more crazy with... I could see that.

I've got two P1s and a P2V+ and often fly them back to back.

My experience was different. In heavy winds and most other conditions, I found the P2V+ is a much more stable camera platform.

While I've never flown an FC40, it's hard to believe someone would characterize it as "garbage." Hyperbole, maybe?

I love flying my P1s. I learned on them and they're so light and tossable, especially with P2 props. If I want to make videos, I grab the P2, but if I just want to go out and fly, the P1 is a better choice for me.

I have a Vision and an FC40 The reason the fc40 was able to fly in the wind better is because the wind was a lot less then its top flying speed. IF the vision is using the latest firmware due to the fact DJI limited the max tilt angle to only 20 degrees and that cuts down on the max speed it can fly. My vision has a hard time going past 30-35 MPH with the newest firmware.

Were as the FC40 as long as I'm using the stock props on it I have had it as fast as 60+ mph on a not to windy day. So it should be able to fly circles around a vision if the vison has the speed clamped on it.

Tho the vision does seem a bit more stable then the fc40 when its flying the FC40 seems to have a lot less to go wrong with them and also if using the stock props when landing and fc40 you can come straight down as fast as you want and no such thing as VRS to worry about. and no limits in the firmware as to were you can fly or the height limits either. Tho the stock camera and its wifi range sort of bite on the fC40 You can also crash the heck out the lighter fc40 and have much less damage then even a not so bad crash on the vision. Thats why when I fly and want to have fun and race around I fly my FC40 cause any sort of good crash with the vision is going to for sure cost as much to fix then even an entire new fc40 would cost.

J.James said:
...and also if using the stock props when landing and fc40 you can come straight down as fast as you want and no such thing as VRS to worry about.

Interesting. Before I knew what VRS was, I used to bring my P1 down at full speed and then go full power right before hitting the ground. I never do that anymore, but it was fun before I realized it was dangerous.

Interesting. Before I knew what VRS was, I used to bring my P1 down at full speed and then go full power right before hitting the ground. I never do that anymore, but it was fun before I realized it was dangerous.

ya I used to do that with my fc40 and never really knew what VRS was till I tried using a set of the P2v props on it and found out real quick what VRS was and almost crashed when trying to land and almost had to change my undies after. Even if trying to let it autoland after a RTH it would go in to VRS death wobble state and start to try to crash every time. Till I messed with the gains some and learned to not try to even come straight down when landing.

Yes. That was using P1 props. By the time I upgraded to P2 props, I'd already learned what VRS.

Funny thing is I crashed HARD trying my first spiral landing. The only damage was to the carbon fiber mount the GoPro attached to. In the crash video from the GoPro, I can see the Phantom cartwheeling.

It always makes me laugh.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8XeBA48zec[/youtube]

Here's a video I shot of us flying together. You can see just how windy it was, as the gimbal loses yaw lock and both quads are being blown around!

Good fun though. No apologies for the music, you can't beat a bit of experimental electronica...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1