Interactive Drone No-Fly Zone Map

Reaction score
That's amazing. According to that it shows you can fly in 1/2 of Des Moines because of airport.

I can't tell if I'm hopeful that they sort out "drone" (RC) laws sooner rather than later. On the one hand, I think we all know it's going to be pretty draconian, with massive restrictions. On the other hand, hopefully common sense wins out, and... never mind... this map is just going to keep getting more and more red.

The FAA has a recommendation on not flying within 5 miles of an airport. I understand the reasoning behind that but there should be less of a limit to the height the further you get away. For example I might live 4.5 miles from the airport and you are telling me that I can not even fly 50 feet in my neighborhood. That does not make sense. So what do you think the smart way for the FAA to go about this. I am looking at the map and I just shot some great video from right on the edge of the 5 mile circle. Now since I was only 250 feet or so high I don't think it would harm anything. Now if I went 2000 feet up and was in a flight path, then I can cause some issues. I think that DJI has the right idea with the restrictions they added in the firmware on how the limits should be set.

Well, living in Canada I can be almost certain the regulations will eventually get entirely ridiculous. I phoned the city info line today (Edmonton).. and first the lady said there were no current restrictions on uav(s) in and around city parks. Then she said... "oh wait .. here is something new I haven't seen before.. seems to be that no city parks allow uav flying in the city without a permit. now either she didn't know what she was talking about.. or its the start :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic