Insuring your Phantom - Possible?

Reaction score
Asked my insurance agent for home and car if I can insure my phantom and the answer was no.

Has any of you insured your phantom? is it possible to do at a reasonable price?

I have cameras insured, jibs, cranes, Dolly's.
see no reason why you cannot insure a Phantom.
I guarantee you, when I upgrade to a larger lifter, it will be insured.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago, I had something called "inland marine" insurance on my camera equipment. Not sure it could be used to cover a Phantom and or Phantom/GoPro. Worth checking with your homeowner's insurance carrier.

Glanced at the AMA insurance, but the organization's "flight rules" seemed a bit restrictive. Not saying right or wrong, just restrictive for my use of a Phantom/GoPro. Actually, quite properly cautious rules considering Phantom's possible fly aways and some possible unintended consequences.

edunwody said:
I have cameras insured, jibs, cranes, Dolly's.
see no reason why you cannot insure a Phantom.
I guarantee you, when I upgrade to a larger lifter, it will be insured.

do you just use one of the big guys (ie your home/car insurance company) or some niche insurance company?

justsomeguy said:
farsed said:
Asked my insurance agent for home and car if I can insure my phantom and the answer was no.

Has any of you insured your phantom? is it possible to do at a reasonable price?

Mine is insured against theft via homeowners insurance like the rest of my personal property. A moot point if only the phantom/gopro were stolen due to my deductible.

What specific kind of risk are you trying to manage?

Possible crash due to power/propeller issue while flying over a lake/canyon and thereby losing the quad, goPro and gimball which adds to be about $1500. I guess the tricky part is that since such crashes can be directly due to inexperience and there is no standard license one can take to show adequate skills etc I assume insurance companies don't want to deal with it. But I want to see if there is anything out there. I would be happy to pay $100/year even (which is how much I pay for my motorcycle) as I travel with mine a lot on hikes.

I don't see how anyone could pull off ensuring their Phantom. It's a toy. Additionally, you'd have to have a very low deductible to be able to collect and that result in a very high premium. I don't really know, I'm just guessing. Good Luck!

You might want to check out the RC organization AMA. Its all about RC an the owner. Liability ins. is one of the benefits. Not sure about all the rest.

Tom

farsed said:

Your insurance agent doesn't know his arse from his elbow and should not be practicing in the insurance industry!

You can insure against anything (other than a certainty - although term life cover is the exception to this since everybody has to die)

Everything is insurable against sudden and accidental loss, it just depends on how the underwriter rates your risk and consequently sets the premium (which could be very high for something that whizzes about in the sky and could hit things !!).

I would SERIOUSLY consider getting another insurance agent !!!!

As a former Property and Causalty underwiter, unless your policy excludes physical damage to model aircraft and such, you should be covered. Due to the deductible, though, which may be $500.00 or so, it might not be practicable to put in a claim.

As for liability, I would be hard pressed to find an exclusion for model aircraft.

Chuck

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4