Insured my P3S today

Insured through State Farm $ 75 a year , their minimum for attachments to Home Owners . I fell better now flying around Trees . LOL

It's amazing how the same company but operating in a different state is so clueless. SF here in NC said they couldn't touch any "R/C aircraft" period.

Sounds like a good deal for you so congrats :)

Insured through State Farm $ 75 a year , their minimum for attachments to Home Owners . I fell better now flying around Trees . LOL

$60 per year from State Farm in my town (in South Dakota). $0 deductible on theft, loss, damage. Won't cover professional use, though. And no liability insurance is included.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Having practiced law for 30 years I always doubt any promise of coverage until you deal with the claims department. Then all of a sudden, policy exclusions, exemptions, and who knows what kicks in and you end up with a legal fight on your hands. I would ask for the detailed coverage language to make sure it doesn't exclude coverage for ones own negligence or intentional acts. i.e. flying into the ground or tree. If they determine the loss is caused through your own fault you may be excluded from coverage. Usually the definition of loss or damage on a home policy means "accidental" loss or damage. Unfortunately for many, accidental means a totally different thing to an insurance company than the common person. Don't get me wrong, I hope it is covered when the time comes. Just a heads up.

Last edited:
Well said Vega.
I found an insurance agent that pointed out all the things you described and I wasn't actually covered like I thought I was for home and auto.
Being insured and holding a piece of paper is one thing
Getting reimbursed without a problem is another.
I actually bought another phantom cheap so I could take it on vacation
If it got confiscated in mexico or fell into the ocean, then so be it.
I bet $75 insured doesn't cover international countries or many other things otherwise more people would be doing it

Last edited:
Just had a friend call me about his car being broken into at the mall during christmas time. He had about $700 in presents stolen while he and his wife took in a movie. He told me his auto insurance declined his claim. I told him that it should be covered under his home owners insurance. He made a claim and they paid out. When I asked him if his home and auto are under the same insurance, he said it was. When he made an auto claim they never told him it might or would be covered under his home insurance. Smucks, they will never tell you anything that may lead to a payout. Sigh

My wife works for State Farm in the claims department, and we have never discussed drone coverage, but what i CAN tell you is this. Agents for the most part, do not have any clue what is or isnt actually covered in most cases. They will promise so much more than they should because in the end, most of the time they dont have to be the ones to deny your claim. Its typically not your agent calling you to tell you that you werent covered for whatever may have happened. Its some poor schmuck in a claims office who has to incur your wrath because you though something was covered that isnt. Like Vega said, make them show you in writing what is and isnt covered.

The good news is this conversation has prompted me to have my wife look into coverage for my drones!

There's also a possibility of a sur charge on your home and auto policy if you make a claim on your drone.
I have $400 in my cheap drone. I would write it off instead of making a claim
If I had a $400 dent on my car I would write it off instead of making a claim
If state farm writes me a check for a brand new drone for $75 coverage then I'm in.

I will provide info when I get the policy in the mail, on what is covered & what isn't . Its a rider on my House insurance & this is all new to my Insurance agency , though that had one & another was in the process the same time I got mine .
As said above , they don't insure Drones used for Business .

So, I had my wife do some checking into the drone coverage and what she found is pretty nice. At least through State Farm I guess.
Our renters policy technically covers drones as it does any other item in the house from theft, fire or anything of the sort. We have a 500 deductible so why file a claim for a drone that isn't worth significantly more than that?
Now, I can have them create a separate personal effects add on specifically for my drone. It doesn't cover liability obviously but it does cover if the drone just decides to go wherever it wants and I lose it or break it and it also has the coverages that my renters provides. Here's the big benefit though....it has no deductible AND it doesn't affect my rates if I file a claim. It clearly excludes the phone or tablet that might be attached when operating the device but I'm fairly sure if my drone gets away I'm not going to throw my remote after it. The best part, for us it's 60 a year and I can add additional drones to it for between 6 and 10 dollars more a year depending on value!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj