Insurance? (USA)

Are you sure? Personal items normally only includes things within the home. So, if you back over in your driveway, you would be covered. If the Ocean was part of your backyard...I'd say you're covered.
BUT, unless there is something specific in the Policy that names the Phantom as being Insured-I wouldn't want to count on it.
Best to call and talk to an Agent that would be dealing with the claim, in the event you lost your Phantom in the Ocean, and specifically ask if your remote air vehicle is covered, away from your home. If so, I would get a Policy that specifically spells out the words Phantom Vision, and Covered for ???$$....just to be safe.

IF/When you fly into the Ocean, and call your Insurance Agent, is not the time to find out you were not covered.

Like I said a few posts up; some independent agents may provide this type of coverage. But, I would want it spelled out, just for CYA purposes.

I'm so glad you brought this up... I'm about to call and get detailed info as well as policy info... Stay tuned...

Great questions and good info...

Not that I need to know how the process works right now, its a good idea to be sure... As far as I am aware, there's no third party underwriting involved, but that's not saying it isn't. Also, I asked specifically about UAV insurance and initially, they didn't know or understand what I was speaking of... After further explanation, They had to make there own inquires, which took a couple days... Basically, they said "As long as it does not have the word flying anywhere in its name, it could be covered"... I gave them the official name, the serial number and photos of the unit both in and out of its case. Another day later I got a call from my agent saying that all is complete and I just to make a payment... After speaking with them a few minutes ago, they said that the actual policy has not been released where they can send to me and I will receive via mail. They said to check back in a couple of days to see if its been processed through there system.

OK....question; If/When you "fly" into the Ocean...how are you going to file a claim? Did you throw the aircraft into the water?
Did it fall off a boat? Do you understand what I'm saying?
By default, the word Flight is always involved when it comes to a "fly away", or "flew into water".........So, the only scenario I could see, where you would be covered, would be for "static" damage? Say you landed on a road, and a car ran over your aircraft.

Like Ronald Regan once said; Trust, but Verify ;)
I don't much trust Insurance Companies. The Agents-I like. And, I believe they tell me the truth, as they know it. But, we're in such a gray area here-that I think sometimes they make things up.

I would love to know what insurance companies you are talking to as clearly State Farm will NOT cover it....

My son just got his AMA card...mine must be lost in the US postal logistics....
The interesting thing is that in the letter that came with it AMA is saying they have a partnership with Nationwide insurance....wonder if they will be RC hobby friendly?
Anyone any idea?

Most homeowners policy allow you to schedule items. This is more along the lines of an inland marine policy. Many of these policies cover "mysterious disappearance". This is where you would insure jewelry, cameras, golf clubs, fire arms, etc. As I stated earlier, read your policy. Or, if you find it too complicated, send it to me in pdf format and I will be happy to translate it for you. Once you learn how to read a policy, it's not that hard.

As for State Farm saying it's not covered under the liability portion (for third party damage/injury), I can almost guarantee you that is not accurate. These policies cover vicious dog bites, injuries from trampolines, swimming pools, etc. Just like driving drunk does not void your automobile liability coverage. Those cost insurance companies billions and they are covered. It's almost unfathomable to think that any insurance company would spending the million plus dollars it takes to amend a liability contract and file in each state that they do business (the carrier has to prove to the state why such an exclusion is needed). In addition, I doubt there is a state insurance department that would approve the exclusion. Liability coverage is for the good of the public. That's why there are so few exclusions that apply.

Get yourself an Umbrella Liability Policy. Pretty good value.
Adds onto the liability coverage you have via your home/car/biz
Now...be careful....this is important....as long as you're involved with LEGAL stuff, you'll be covered.
For all non-USA guys...liability coverage means...you crash and cut some guys ear off......you are covered up to the limit of the policy.

ppdrone said:
I would love to know what insurance companies you are talking to as clearly State Farm will NOT cover it....

State Farm... It's called a "Personal Item Policy"... Runs with my homeowners policy... Extra $30 per year for $2k of coverage of the P2V...

semaj said:
ppdrone said:

State Farm... It's called a "Personal Item Policy"... Runs with my homeowners policy... Extra $30 per year for $2k of coverage of the P2V...
As some have already mentioned-you might want to read your policy and question your Agent. That may cover your PV is it's stolen out of your house, the house falls down and crushes it, or you back over it in the driveway.
But, as per State Farm-they don't cover Drones......
It is possible for some Independent Agents to just underwrite the Phantom themselves. Meaning-they're the ones insuring you, and they're the ones that will pay you for your loss.

But-i'd get it in writing, specifically stating that IF your PV is Flying...and it Crashes-not in your backyard, that you're still covered. Just for peace of mind, at least.

havasuphoto said:
semaj said:
ppdrone said:

As some have already mentioned-you might want to read your policy and question your Agent. That may cover your PV is it's stolen out of your house, the house falls down and crushes it, or you back over it in the driveway.
But, as per State Farm-they don't cover Drones......
It is possible for some Independent Agents to just underwrite the Phantom themselves. Meaning-they're the ones insuring you, and they're the ones that will pay you for your loss.

But-i'd get it in writing, specifically stating that IF your PV is Flying...and it Crashes-not in your backyard, that you're still covered. Just for peace of mind, at least.

Thats an interesting one....my State Farm agent said few days ago RC Hobbies (Planes/Cars/Helicopters/Quadcopters/Boats) are covered....

It may be a state difference. And good luck getting anything in writing. An agent won't put himself out. Just read your own policy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Like I've said before-get it in writing. It has to say something along the lines that IF your quad is lost/damage while away from home, you're covered, and by how much? Deductible?

ppdrone said:
Yes in case it gets lost or damaged, but my bigger concer is the liability.....
I agree..and good luck finding any coverage.
With the AMA you're covered if you're flying at one of their "parks". For everything else-I just avoid people.....

yes but this is where my State farm agent is telling me I am covered...and she talked to the underwriter also...

I can't believe you guys in the USA can get insurance for your phantom against crashes, flyways and public liability in case of injury to people for $30 / year with no deductible. That's crazy good value!!

Here in Australia I'm pretty sure it wouldn't even be an available option let alone for $30. :(

Heck our RC association in Australia (MAA) offers public liability membership with a $5000 deductible and you must be flying in MAAA sanctioned activities!

So every time I'm flying I'm sitting there thinking how far I am from a lawyer suing me for all I've got if this bird in the sky decides to malfunction!

Not so fast, DJayz. I don't think this whole issue has been sorted yet.

This thread should be a "Top 10" given the massive amount of new flyers and quads being sold (include me here). I just got off the phone with AAA (Triple A) who carry my cars and homeowners policy. They stated they do not have a policy that I could use for crashes or similar "loss". The quad is covered from theft and fire...at the house only. AAA will not cover if I "crash" it at home. So no damage coverage from AAA at home or anywhere else.

I'm concerned and definitely want to get crash, loss, or fly-away coverage...perhaps liability coverage as well, but do not plan on flying this thing near unknown people. I'm over $1000 into this and I am sure the investment will grow with future FPV, etc.

NEED A POLICY!! Anyone?

I've e-mailed about 15 different State Farm insurance agents here and they all tell me the same thing: They cannot add a drone to a personal property policy. It is only covered under home owner's policy in the event of flood, fire, flood, tornado, but not crashes.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.