Insurance Coverage??

Reaction score
I am currently a hobby flyer with my P4P. I have registered my drone with the FAA. Now I am wondering about insurance. The AMA offers some decent coverage for $75/year. Is this what most people are using??

I will be getting my Part 107 soon, as well, and begin flying for "business" purposes. Will I need to get different insurance for flying with that license?

Ideas on where to go???

Thank you!

I just recently got a quote of $282 for the year. That's for $100K liability, $5K property damage and $5K medical. If the $70/year has similar coverage it sounds like it would be a great deal.

Reactions: Lindsaybev
I don't "think" that $75/yr covers Commercial Ops but you'll need to confirm that with AMA.

Remember you'll need to register your aircraft via the Commercial side of the website now (another $5) and only use the Commercial Reg #. No need to worry about the hobby #.

How much insurance are you needing? Most of our clients ask for $1M in liability.

I am currently a hobby flyer with my P4P. I have registered my drone with the FAA. Now I am wondering about insurance. The AMA offers some decent coverage for $75/year. Is this what most people are using??

I will be getting my Part 107 soon, as well, and begin flying for "business" purposes. Will I need to get different insurance for flying with that license?

Ideas on where to go???

Thank you!

BTW, the AMA insurance would not cover you for business purposes. As far as doing business and having insurance I think that may be a state by state issue but some business wouldn't hire you unless you had your own insurance.

Ideas on where to go???

Thank you!

I chose to go use SkyWatch. If you load up some good safe flights logs it will boost your safety score and give you discounts. My first first month was 40 bucks with a half mil policy. Next months decreases to 30
IMG_1267.jpg

I chose to go use SkyWatch. If you load up some good safe flights logs it will boost your safety score and give you discounts. My first first month was 40 bucks with a half mil policy. Next months decreases to 30 View attachment 108207

Does this cover commercial flying?

In my area, State Farm insured my V 2.0 for everything, even fly away drones for $60.00 a year, no deductible. Some on here have posted that State Farm will not insure drones but is what they told me a year ago when I inquired. It seems to be a local agent, or employees that make that decision. Might check with other agents nearby and find coverage that can't be beat!

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

In my area, State Farm insured my V 2.0 for everything, even fly away drones for $60.00 a year, no deductible
That coverage is only for hobbyists though. I don't think State Farm offers coverage for commercial pilots.

In my area, State Farm insured my V 2.0 for everything, even fly away drones for $60.00 a year, no deductible. Some on here have posted that State Farm will not insure drones but is what they told me a year ago when I inquired. It seems to be a local agent, or employees that make that decision. Might check with other agents nearby and find coverage that can't be beat!

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

My State Farm agency originally offer me 42 bucks a yr. Drone only coverage zero deductible. After talking to him he said State Farm wouldn’t sell me anything due to me using it for business.
I have asked multi times and got the same about.
So lucky for you on that deal. I just hope you don’t ever have to use it and the fine print doesn’t rear its ugly head.

Sooo...people are basically calling around to regular insurance companies??

I'll look at SkyWatch, too. Thank you!

I just recently got a quote of $282 for the year. That's for $100K liability, $5K property damage and $5K medical. If the $70/year has similar coverage it sounds like it would be a great deal.
And who did you go through, may I ask?

I don't "think" that $75/yr covers Commercial Ops but you'll need to confirm that with AMA.

Remember you'll need to register your aircraft via the Commercial side of the website now (another $5) and only use the Commercial Reg #. No need to worry about the hobby #.

How much insurance are you needing? Most of our clients ask for $1M in liability.
That was what I was thinking, regarding the AMA insurance. That is why I did not jump on it yet. And I will register it again after I get the 107.

As for an "amount"...I was under the impression that we were not allowed to fly over people. I will mostly be doing wetland delineations over pasture-like land. Can't see how I would cause too much damage, unless some type of fire unsued.

Do you know who your clients use??

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20