insurance claim

Reaction score
My travel insurance policy says nothing specific, but has anyone ever tried to claim for a lost phantom, gopro and video transmitter. Mine went down into the ocean on a fpv flight (can only think the battery failed to charge or I made a school boy error)... snorkelled thentire area but no joy.

Thanks,
Bob.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN, I LOST MINE IN A LAKE WHERE YOU CAN'T GO SWIMMING PLUS YOU REALLY WOULDN'T WANT TOO. I WAS THINKING ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF STARTING AN INSURANCE POLICY BUT NEVER GOT AROUND TO IT. OVER WATER WAS THE ONLY PLACE WHERE I WOULD HAVE NEEDED THE COVERAGE. MAYBE 15 BUCKS A MONTH FOR NON PROFESSIONAL USE SO IT WOULD HAVE BEEN WORTH IT.

hoho0482 said:
My travel insurance policy says nothing specific, but has anyone ever tried to claim for a lost phantom, gopro and video transmitter. Mine went down into the ocean on a fpv flight (can only think the battery failed to charge or I made a school boy error)... snorkelled thentire area but no joy.

Thanks,
Bob.

I would think it would have to do with your insurance policy, your home policy. You most likely have a $500 deductable, and even then, you will experience an increase in rates.

Might not be worth it. You can buy a new phantom for under $600 on the rc groups forum, replace the goproi and video tx for abother $600, so, it most likely wouldn't be worth it.

Sorry. I lost one in the Lake. I did get it back after paying a SCUBA diver $100 to find it. I was able to save the GoPro, and it looks like even the NAZA is OK.

I will use it to make a 550 or something.

D

According to my Visa card I get double the normal warranty (is there a warranty on these things?) and I get a refund in the case of lost or stolen purchases. I've used this to replace an iPhone left at a bar and a bicycle that grew legs and walked away. So.....if the phantom disappeared out of sight and never returned I'm thinking that qualifies. I haven't had to try this yet....but stay tuned.

The warrantly expires the first time it goes in the air. LOL

My state farm policy when I insured $5000 of my camera gear was 20 bucks a month and there was no deductible if I can remember correctly. Never had to use it. This was for professional use but they had a similar policy for non professional use for around the same money. This was maybe 3 years ago.

When I purchased my Phantom from B&H Photo in NYC they offered me a Squaretrade Protection plan for 3 Years at $135.00

The plan covers drops and spills and Accidental Damage from Handling (ADH).

So as long as I can recover it I will be covered for any crashes (hopefully wont ever use it).

Accidental Damage from Handling (ADH) coverage
ADH coverage is available for new, store-purchased items and protects against drops and spills. It does not cover loss, willful damage or gross misuse.
ADH is typically offered as part of your Protection Plan for iPhones, iPads, Smartphones, Tablets/eReaders, Laptops, Cameras, and MP3 Players. It is also offered as an option for, Portable Gaming Devices, GPS Devices, and other portable electronics.
Exclusions: Refer to the details of the contract for the full list, but there are 5 notable exclusions to your coverage. •Pre-existing conditions: Items sold in non-working or partially working conditions. We consider any mechanical or electrical issues occurring on refurbished iPhones and iPads during the first 30 days and used or refurbished eBay items during the first 45 days to be a pre-existing condition (we DO cover accidents in the first 30 for refurbished iPhones and iPads (first 45 days for eBay items) if you purchased Accidental Damage from Handling coverage).
•Accidental damage: Unless Accidental Damage from Handling Protection is purchased, we don’t cover items that are accidentally damaged - such as water damage, dropped iPods, and cracked laptop screens.

Looks like some of the losses are over water. Would it be a good idea to add pipe insulation to the skids for flotation before flying over water. It is lightweight & is buoyant. Those little RC loss alarms help over land. Good luck trying to collect an insurance claim for any RC model lost in flight or after a crash!

Thanks guys. Expensive lesson. Be a few months before I can replace them as cash short :-(

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20