INSURANCE AND FV GOGGLES

Reaction score
Hi there

Does anyone know where I can buy insurance for non commercial and also any cheaper FV goggles that work with the P3 standard?

The AMA has a $2.5 million liability policy (Not your aircraft damages!) for the annual $65 membership fee.

Somehow I got a feeling that may change soon though as too many drone fliers seem insistent on violating 107 rules, local ordinances against flying, NFZ's or TFR's, court cases now appearing over privacy rights, etc. Seems to be a division between the RC guys and the drone guys within the AMA, and some AMA fields do not allow drones. How this unfolds is unknown.

Reactions: BigAl07
The AMA has a $2.5 million liability policy (Not your aircraft damages!) for the annual $65 membership fee.

Somehow I got a feeling that may change soon though as too many drone fliers seem insistent on violating 107 rules, local ordinances against flying, NFZ's or TFR's, court cases now appearing over privacy rights, etc. Seems to be a division between the RC guys and the drone guys within the AMA, and some AMA fields do not allow drones. How this unfolds is unknown.

Are you saying that commercial flyers are already violating the 107 rules? The test has only been available since Sept 29, 2016.

I'd think that a non 107 might have to pay more in premiums because at least a 107 had to pass a test that requires study of the basics of the 107 rules, risk management, etc.

I think the majority of the issues you are stating are coming from the incidents where hobby flyers are involved.

Are you saying that commercial flyers are already violating the 107 rules? The test has only been available since Sept 29, 2016.

I'd think that a non 107 might have to pay more in premiums because at least a 107 had to pass a test that requires study of the basics of the 107 rules, risk management, etc.

I think the majority of the issues you are stating are coming from the incidents where hobby flyers are involved.

There was a post here a while back where a commercial drone business got fined $18K by the FAA. As with most commercial businesses, if you get hit, the fine will be high - perhaps a lot higher since they know you carry the insurance who will pay for your transgression verses a hobbyist flyer with none. A hobbyist with the AMA is $65/yr. for $2.5 million liability, and I'll wager a commercial will be a lot higher than that through an independent insurance carrier. My commercial runs me about $800/yr. for $4 million.

If you check the waivers, there was only one outfit that had a night flight waiver and it was for some thermal imaging outfit. How many with 107's are flying at night now or over areas where a commercial filming permit is needed by the city? There are so many legal sidebars to a 107 it can be too costly to do it all legally as well as the time involved to obtained all the permits and paperwork.

Also, possessing a 107 will not make someone stay within the law any more than a speeder with a state driver's license will. Even applies to the military jet jockies who fly under the assigned MOA altitudes either - like it doesn't happen over a nearby lake where you can watch the water swell behind their jets on low flights or buzz the local airport.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl