Installing ND Filters?

Reaction score
Hello, I realise it's rare to see a post asking about putting on filters rather than taking them off on the phantom 3, but I have just purchased an Orsda variable ND and after removing the UV filter it doesn't seem to go on. I don't want to push it too hard and break the thread on the phantom but I was wandering if any others have had this problem or if there is something I'm missing? It may just be a faulty filter but is there anything else I need to take off the lens to fit it on? Perhaps some rubber around the edge (I don't want to pull anything off before I know). Thank you!

Maybe first try to "unscrew it" until you fell that you are aligned with the thread, when try to "screw it".

Reactions: Ollie613
This is an old thread but I have a similar issue with an Orsda ND16 filter I bought.

The thread on the filter is too large. There is a mismatch and it will not properly engage with the thread on the camera.

Phantom 4

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks from a new Phantom owner. Australia.

It sounds like you might be trying to cross thread the filter on the threads of the camera. Try lining it up and turning it anti clockwise until you feel it clicking over the threads then gently turn it clockwise and it should screw on.

Thanks for the replies.

I have no problem removing the stock lens cover. Rubber glove got it off the first time.

Yes I agree that it can be tricky to get the threads aligned and not cross them whe refitting.

However that is not the issue. The new ND filter is machined with a thread that is too large.

In other words it will just slip into place without the threads engaging. (And fall straight off again.)

Wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem with Orsda filters.

Thanks for the replies.

I have no problem removing the stock lens cover. Rubber glove got it off the first time.

Yes I agree that it can be tricky to get the threads aligned and not cross them whe refitting.

However that is not the issue. The new ND filter is machined with a thread that is too large.

In other words it will just slip into place without the threads engaging. (And fall straight off again.)

Wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem with Orsda filters.
Yeh ok I see. What you could use as a temp fix so your filter will stay on would be to wind onto the threads is some plumbers PTFE tape.
This is what plumbers use to make a water tight seal.
3 or 4 full turn raps will give your thread of the filter to thread in to and not fall off. Afterwards just unwind the tape and you won't of damaged your existing threads, just dont leave the filter on the camera for a long period or you might not get it off.
Alternatively, you will have to pay out for the correct filters

Got some more filters and they are also too large to fit my P4

Wondering if someone with a standard (not pro) P4 and a vernier or digital calliper, could carefully measure the major dia of their thread. (without lens cover)

Mine is 29.59mm as seen in the pic. Is mine some oddball size? What is going on?

Thanks in advance

Thread small.jpg

Uploaded a Youtube video of what is happening to me with these ORSDA ND filters.

More research has led me to believe that the P4 camera thread is NOT the same as the P3 adv/pro.

Despite reading many times on this forum and others that they are the same, it seems they are not.

DJI make different model number screw on filters for either the P4 or P3 adv/pro. Not one model that will fit either.

It has got me beat why many manufacturers or suppliers of filters advertise their screw on filters fit both.

Maybe they make them with some funny in between thread size. I honestly don't know. Have not had the opportunity to hold any except Orsda in my hand. Which don't fit.

Anyway I have ordered genuine DJI ND filter. Model for the P4 as opposed to the model for the P3 adv/pro.

Last edited:
I have just received a set of 5 filters and a padded case to store them in and I tried them on my p4 and fit perfectly. I was a bit worried that they would not fit but all is ok

I am glad they are good for you.

What brand and or model did you get? Do you have a link?

As I said, my experience is limited to my P4 and the Orsda filters I have in hand.

Confuses me as to why I seem to be the only user who has this issue.

The good news is that the ebay selller refunded for the Orsda filters without quibble.

I am glad they are good for you.

What brand and or model did you get? Do you have a link?

As I said, my experience is limited to my P4 and the Orsda filters I have in hand.

Confuses me as to why I seem to be the only user who has this issue.

The good news is that the ebay selller refunded for the Orsda filters without quibble.
These are the ones I have purchased, took a month to get here but they fit perfectly.

for PGY DJI Phantom4/3 Threaded Filter MC-UV ND4 ND8 ND16 CPL Black 5in1
( 222363699599

Thanks for that Darren

I have ordered just one PGY filter. Hopefully it will fit no problem.

Still confuses me as to why DJI make different filters for P4 as opposed to P3 adv/pro

Thanks for that Darren

I have ordered just one PGY filter. Hopefully it will fit no problem.

Still confuses me as to why DJI make different filters for P4 as opposed to P3 adv/pro
That's ok. which filter did you buy? nd4 or above?

Got a DJI one. ND4 That fits as you would expect

Have a PGY one on order. Not here yet. ND8

Also ordered another cheap ebay one. Will see if that fits when it arrives.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20