Installing a Part 31 Radio -- Getting Flashing Green

Reaction score
Friend gave me a Phantom 1 w/self tightening props, Naza v2 but with no controller and a bad motor.

I have replaced the motor, and it spins properly when connected to the assistant software.. Unit has been firmwared to 4.02 and set to D-BUS in the configuration.

My current problem lies in getting the controller to talk to the unit. I purchased a DJ6 controller and radio card from DSLR Pro's eBay store. For a first effort I tried to associate the remote with the single antenna receiver, but was never able to get them to work together… I installed the Part 31 radio (2.4ghz w/2 antennas) and have been able to get the radio to associate (goes to green in acquire, but flashes green after that - however it turns red if I turn off the DJ6 controller / and turns flashing green again when I turn the controller back on).

The first obvious thing that I see is that old radio had 1 connector, and the new one has 2 connectors… Can anybody confirm if both connectors are used, and if so the proper pinout / connection point? Also any suggestions on getting the radio to work, or some documentation on this, would be appreciated.

Here are some pics / video.

Flashing
http://www.biggerhammer.net/phantom/IMG_3846.MOV

DJ6
http://www.biggerhammer.net/phantom/DJI ... adio_2.jpg

Radio Installed
http://www.biggerhammer.net/phantom/DJI ... tall_4.jpg

Original Radio still in place, but Part 31 connected
http://www.biggerhammer.net/phantom/DJI ... tall_3.jpg

Thank you.

Sounds like your Phantom is version 1.2, which had the PPM radio instead of the D-bus that the DJ6 controller is compatible with.

The easiest solution at this point would probably be to replace your receiver with one for the model 1.1.1 Phantoms...it has the dual antennae and will work with the DJ6 you bought.

The radio in the pics is the 2 antenna Part 31 2.4ghz antenna … I actually ordered 2, and here is a shot of another one (from DSLR Pro, the other one was fresh out of a DJI Part 31 box)…. So the current radio receiver that is intalled in the pics and the video is a 2 antenna unit.

http://www.biggerhammer.net/phantom/DJI ... arison.jpg

So what would be the next step? Does anybody have anything to suggest with respect to the two connectors - does it require both, and if so, where do the two need to be connected to respectively?

Sorry, I'd missed that you already switched to the D-bus Rx :oops:

You only need 2 cables connected to the new Rx if you want gimbal tilt control via the lever on the back of your DJ6. Your existing cable from NAZA X2 port connects to one of the sets of pins on the Rx, for your main 6 channels (your sticks + 2 switches). The other set of pins on the Rx need to be connected to NAZA X1 for gimbal tilt. I can't recall right now which set of pins go to X1 vs X2, but it's easy to see in the Assistant software if you have the wrong one wired to X2 (you won't have response on all the stick channels).

I think the blinking you're seeing is expected behavior once bound, but your obstacle is just getting the right cable to X2 so the Rx can talk to the NAZA...binding doesn't require the cable to be in the right port, just any port (to draw power for the Rx).

EDIT: just found this pic showing which pins go to which port on the NAZA:
a6256897-26-IMG_0134mod.jpg

Yeah, grounds towards printed label. There are 4 ways you could try this, none will damage the RX or Phantom but only one will work.

Obtained a cable from my local DJI dealer, and same story. I think my next step is to order a SJ6 controller and RX board from DSLR Pro's ebay store (currently $20), and see if that makes it happier….

I am open to other suggestions.

Thank you for all of the input.

So when you connect it exactly like the picture above, you don't get any controller response in the Assistant software? I don't think it's time to buy new options just yet.

That is correct. I have connected as above and get the same results. When the controller is powered on, I get a green flashing LED, and when off it goes solid red.

When I hook up via USB, I see the NAZA, but I don't see any radio response.. I see other things like the gyro registering, and am able to spin the motors.

If I connect USB to the remote, I see the remote, and it registers full movement.

I would swap the cables for x2 and x1 (not the positions. The actual cables) and see if there is any difference.

It also sounds like a binding issue. What procedure did you follow to bind?

Well I had hoped to do some additional testing this evening, but my ex was cleaning up my son's stuff, and I think she mixed my batteries in with it… so come tomorrow, I will be able to transpose cables, test, and also verify my binding method.

BadKitty said:
Well I had hoped to do some additional testing this evening, but my ex was cleaning up my son's stuff, and I think she mixed my batteries in with it…

Ouch! That has got to be the worst good reason I've ever heard for not being able to fly :shock:

I've seen Phantoms grounded for a very wide range of factors, but that one beats them all.

SR6 Controller and single antenna radio showed up today… Went ahead and installed them, and no luck. Transposed the cable, and was able to get communication.. Switched back to trying the two antenna radio, but it wouldn't sync up….. So for now I have reinstalled the one wire receiver, and have a responsive Phantom 1. Took it outside, and she seemed to be happy with calibration.

Will take a quick maiden voyage with it tomorrow when I drop my son off at day camp.

Here is a video of it being static tested in my office.

http://www.biggerhammer.net/phantom/IMG_3866.MOV

Hi there
Just reading about your problem.
Im sitting with exact same problem. AND the picture shown with the old NAZA is not correct. (U gotta switch the 2 cables)

I got the NAZA M V2 and you got to set it up like this picture: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0kRU3 ... sp=sharing

If u cant get i to work, get the software on DJi.com for the transmitter, and upgrade it (if already newest version, upgrade it again)
Then connect the NAZA to the DJI NAZA assistant 2.20 and choose D-bus as receiver. (this will only work with phantom 1 or NAZA M V2)

Turn on the transmitter (u should see a red led)
turn on the NAZA and press the little button on the receiver for 2 sec. (it will blink red)

Then the led will go out and you are done. (to check, turn off the transmitter, and you should see the red led again)

Now do a full transmitter calibration in the assistent 2.20 software.
Connect the NAZA to your PC
Turn the NAZA on
Turn transmitter on
Do the calibartion in the assistent 2.20 and your done.
Turn it all off and disconnect the PC.

Turn the transmitter on
Turn on the NAZA .... Now test it while holding the phantom in your hand. (to see if it turns correctly to the sides, and up/down)

It worked for me.

The only thing am a little conserned about, is why is the green led off(on the 1.1.1 reciever). When all the documentation says it should shine green ?

Br Tim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.