Installed new antenna and now weak transmission

Reaction score
I installed the Argtek Antenna and now I can't fly my drone past the end of the driveway without having weak signal issues and loosing video. I've seen notes about firmware in the forum, but I think this was just something I've done wrong. Anyone else who did their own antenna mod have similar issues and a fix? Going to take the wires in the controller off, clean them and put back on again. Before taking it all apart though, wanted to check with the experts.

Thanks!
X

Make sure the connections are good. Also make sure the panels are facing the right way. Which model do you have? Standard?

Reactions: Xitor
The most likely reason is you messed up on the antenna wiring. It is a tight fit with microscopic connectors - lots of places for problems. Unless you have an antenna analyzer (of course you have one, right?), I'd just pop the RC open and recheck everything carefully. If you know of another P3 owner, you could bind your craft to their RC and make sure than aliens didn't infest your aircraft.

If you have a Wifi router with removable antennas, you can unscrew those and install them in place of the new antenna. If that gets you back to mostly stock then the problem is in the antenna itself.

More than likely the connector for the antenna disconnected while you were putting the remote back together. Unless you hot glued them
Or put a dab of silicone on them like is recommended. I'd start there first. Bad panels or Omni would be very rare.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

take apart post a pic and then we can tell what is wrong

Funny, I didn't even know the antennas had a front in back. Fortuntely the label / serial number is on the flat back, with a slightly curved front, so I think I have that right. Would have felt stupid, but would be an easy fix.

I took apart the controller and the wires were all in place, I did use a glue gun. I watch a few more install videos, one mentioned the top two connectors, white and gray in this case were for the camera, and bottom or last connector, black in this case was for the drone. Since my issues have been so far tied to the camera I gently tugged on the two first connectors and sure enough the grey, second connector just popped off. I'll clean the post and connector, reconnect, glue and try again.

Side question, is it true that the drone signal uses 5Ghz and the camera uses 2.4?

Still have the stock antenna - nifty idea though about putting on the antennas from my home wifi router as a test. I'll post after everything is cleaned and back together.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.