Installed Itelite/MAXXUav antenna - Disappointed at first but great success!

Reaction score
This disappointing experience has been very much improved by receiving a new set of short thick blue cables. For more details on what this antenna can do check out post #50.

Thanks to maxxuav for being interested and sending me the cables to try.

====================
Original post
====================

Finally figured out how to get the antenna bases out without destroying them so this morning I took my tx back apart and installed the itelite from maxxuav non-boosted. Once I got the bases out everything went smoothly with my ifixit tweezers, hemostats and magnetic screw bowl. I came into it prepared lol.

It took about 30 minutes start to finish (I had taken the tx apart twice before but stopped by the confounded bases those times.

After buttoning everything up I proceeded to have a seat on my front porch steps where I like to fly from across a small-town residential area towards downtown or from our back patio directly over a large wooded area (edge of town). I flew thir route yesterday evening and again this morning before the mod so I could judge what I had gained by the investment.

Flying the two directions over town I can get to about 2100-2200ft out (300ft alt) before I lose rc signal and video as well, and rth kicks in). The other direction directly over wooded non-populated path I can get to about 3300ft, same altituide.

I use channel 20 and 4mb setting on video.

My flight distance on both town flights today (same as yesterday non-itelite/maxxuav) were 2170ft and 2002ft and my wooded route was 3200ft. Altitude was 300ft for all. I've actually lost some distance or about the same. I know the antenna is working as I wouldn't be flying if it was not.

Comments, thoughts? I tried to keep the routes and altitude the same and same times as yesterday. I don't mean this to be a 'bash' post but rather I'm frustrated and disappointed.

Last edited:
Can you post a pic of your setup all put together?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

How did you route the wires internally? Are you 100% you "snapped" the antennas on to the board.

The only other time over heard of this was when the wires were not connected completely?

These antennas should be a noticeable gain without any doubt. Hundreds of people have had success while doing these

8b0ec8e0f7d52ea43d3005a5ea6e790b.jpg

4d68bbd25b62171f861febf95859337d.jpg

As far as the internal connectors yes the clipped on with a audible click and routed just like the video that shows the whole install.

These antennas should be a noticeable gain without any doubt. Hundreds of people have had success while doing these

I know lots of people here just love them, and that's what my post is more about, frustration/disappointment and not wanting to bash anything.

Something's definitely wrong , I more than tripled my distance after this mod...

Don't use channel 20 - set it to auto. If you lock it to 1 channel you will only ever get 1 channel. With auto it automatically changes channel between 8 of them.

Fly on auto and let's see how it goes.

Don't use channel 20 - set it to auto. If you lock it to 1 channel you will only ever get 1 channel. With auto it automatically changes channel between 8 of them.

Fly on auto and let's see how it goes.

I'll try that tomorrow but with auto can instill change the video to 4 or not do you know?

Installed lastnight also and not impressed with my 1st test flight. Got to about 8500 and stRt ed getting broken signal.. will try again

I'll try that tomorrow but with auto can instill change the video to 4 or not do you know?
Yes take the transmission to 4mbs.

Something is goofy Marc. I'm trying to imagine what would have happened. But I read in another thread that this did happen to someone else, albeit rare!

I have two questions-

1. What did you do with the stock antenna wires? Did you UNROUTE them? Leave them in? Or Clip them like I did and advised? If you took them out, I assume you cut the silicon? Are you sure you didn't pull a ribbon cable out? I did, and luckily it just slid back in. Also, I can't stress enough the importance of making sure those wires are attached, and not jammed. Might need to open it, again, just to be sure.

2. What happened when you lost signal? Just lost everything or?

Advice, something is wrong. Or you got a Bad antenna. If you can maybe send it to Jake @MAXXUAV, and see if he can dissect it?

Yes take the transmission to 4mbs.

Something is goofy Marc. I'm trying to imagine what would have happened. But I read in another thread that this did happen to someone else, albeit rare!

I have two questions-

1. What did you do with the stock antenna wires? Did you UNROUTE them? Leave them in? Or Clip them like I did and advised? If you took them out, I assume you cut the silicon? Are you sure you didn't pull a ribbon cable out? I did, and luckily it just slid back in. Also, I can't stress enough the importance of making sure those wires are attached, and not jammed. Might need to open it, again, just to be sure.

2. What happened when you lost signal? Just lost everything or?

Advice, something is wrong. Or you got a Bad antenna. If you can maybe send it to Jake @MAXXUAV, and see if he can dissect it?

Hi

1. I unrouted them, had to loosen the one control stick assembly to get the wire out (up down) and the other I fished out with hemostats.

There was minimal silicon on the two points around the edge and was able to get a clean slice and then carefully picked the silicon off. Ribbons were intact and connected. They are indeed very thin.

2. I first got the 'weak rc' signal then some video breakup. Then it said craft disconnected. Rth commenced and after maybe 5 seconds or so I regained video and control. Canceled rth to see if I could perhaps go further but couldn't really.

I am going to open again just to check tomorrow. I should add I've done two yuneecs that I owned with fpvlr assembly's so I do know how to be careful in a rc. I know that doesn't make me an expert though by any means.

Could these bends coming out of the rc be enough to cause an issue?

1d785bdf87acca030a1f4bafde88e180.jpg

Auto changes the bit rate - you can't change the the bitrate quality in auto - it will increase and reduce depending on signal, this is the beauty of Auto - it tries to give you max range with best picture.

If your recording it on your Phantom 4 then there really is no need to worry about bit rate of the transmission, as it records it locally to the SD card inside the phantom 4 and does not make a difference what signal bitrate you choose for the recording.

Auto changes the bit rate - you can't change the the bitrate quality in auto - it will increase and reduce depending on signal, this is the beauty of Auto - it tries to give you max range with best picture.

If your recording it on your Phantom 4 then there really is no need to worry about bit rate of the transmission, as it records it locally to the SD card inside the phantom 4 and does not make a difference what signal bitrate you choose for the recording.

I was just going by the reco of a user on here, John locke to set the channel and video rate to get the most range is why.

I have the identical problem as noted in this thread with the exception that my antenna mod worked great when first installed. I believe my problem started when I may have failed to completely screw the antenna cables back onto the RC after removing the antenna to get the RC in my travel case. I believe I may have inadvertently operated the RC without one of the cables fully seated.....and according to some of the pro's on our forum, this could toast the transmitter. My antenna came with a warning not to power on the RC without the antenna installed. Although the RC will still operate my P3A at ranges of about 2000 feet LOS, it is no nowhere close to the 3+mile range I was easily getting before. I plan on reinstalling the mod on another RC I have acquired.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

In the long and short of it, I always ask "how far do I need to fly to make me feel good?", the answer is not as far as I thought.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I had one of these for my chroma blad and they look and say the same things on them as this guys. Can i use it on my p3a remote if i decide to add more distance?

Just a thought guys, I know that there is a correct end to match to certain connectors. Look inside of the cables and match up the male/female ends with the right plug, whether it be on the remote of the ant.

That's true but I can tell from his pic he has it right.

So the "bends"? I had those too. So Those are a by product of the pass through cables.

I got a set of 90 degree bended ones.
b329a53a0ca6e43dc62c1d49cdfb02ab.jpg

That's true but I can tell from his pic he has it right.

So the "bends"? I had those too. So Those are a by product of the pass through cables.

I got a set of 90 degree bended ones.
b329a53a0ca6e43dc62c1d49cdfb02ab.jpg

Those look nice , how much ??

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik