Install FatShark Attitude SD on DJI Phantom 2

Reaction score
Hey

I just bought:
DJI Phantom 2 (non-vision)
Zenmuse Gimball
GoPro Hero3+
FatShark Attitude SD

Installing the DJI Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse and the GoPro was no problem, but how do I install the FatShark Attitude SD with the rest? I know that the easy way is to buy this cable: http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/cables/dji-phantom-upgrade-board-to-fat-shark-immersionrc-transmitter-cable and then just connect it BUT the cable is NOT IN STOCK anywhere, so I need to find another solution. What can I do?

Hope you can help me!

Asger Ravn
Denmark

here is the diagram i came up with.. I havent tested it yet. I am waiting on my fatshark attitude v2 to come in. but after doing tons of research this is what I am going to try..

phantomtofatshark_zps26570024.png

I have this same setup with one addition, the dji mini osd.

I used the set-up as described on helical.com website where they show how they configured their P2. See image below.

With the exception of the power plug from the P2, I soldered all the wires together and covered with heat shrink (20 minutes).

For power to tx...
I added a 2S plug to the power coming off the P2 to connect the fatshark low pass filter. I looked online for either a 2s or 3s plug with no luck. But the local hobby shop gave me a spare 2s (battery balance plug off lipo) for free and I used the two outside wires to connect the power out of the p2.

I cut the video cable that came with the fatshark 250mw tx and soldered it to the video out from the mini osd (which I highly recommend). The video cable is the grey cable with three wires, white (video in), red (power not needed), and black(ground).

Here are some pics.

I have enjoyed ranges of 1000m with the vTx setup.

Best of luck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 7,429
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 4,672
ozon8r - thanks for the pics.. and write up looks easy enough to install the iosd with an fpv and very little solder work!!

what is the real benefit for an iosd??
at first i really wanted it.. but since i am only going to fpv with goggles.. will i even being able to see the iosd info on goggles?
what are the real benefits for iosd??

from screenshots i see of the iosd its doesnt appear to have information i could really use..
i think the main feature i noticed is it shows how high you really are..

so i guess what im asking is can you sell me on the iosd?? maybe if i got a better explanation on what it all does and that is is needed for fpv i would be all over it.. but right now i just dont see the true "need" for it...

Longhornfan,

I am flying fpv with fatshark attitude v2 and can't imagine flying without it. It displays quite a bit of very useful info including remaining battery power, distance to home point, flight mode, satellites acquired, speed, direction to home, relative height above home point, attitude indicator, pitch and roll, etc. and all without cluttering the video display.

With the goggles on, and without the osd, I have no idea how much battery I have or how far away the p2 is unless I can hear the hum of the rotors.

I have flown the p2 without fpv and lost relative orientation of the craft. With the osd and goggles on, I always know the state of the quad, the direction it's oriented, and it's orientation relative to my position.

Here is a photo of what it looks like on the goggles vid display.

And another photo from dji.com

That said, I am new to rc flying and fpv and feel that I need this info to feel more comfortable about flying with the goggles on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 4,323
oh wow thanks for explaining.. i didnt realize it showed the battery of the actual phantom 2 that right there is pretty awesome..
hmm i think you have me convinced!!!
direction from home and height is really cool too..

thanks for the info im sold!! haha

I am looking for the right thread to post my question, and not start a new [redundant] thread. I have the configuration specified below: Phantom 2, Hero3+, iOSD, Fatshark 250mw transmit, and Fatshark Attitude SD goggles (plus Lilliput 664). I have read the Fatshark manual cover to cover many times, and searched this forum, but can't find the answer to my simple question: why do my goggles beep so much? They are operating normally, meaning good video feed as far out as 1600 meters, but they often beep when in use, and I have no clue why. I don't believe it has to do with battery voltage. Wondering if somehow my kids enabled the headtracker function, which I have no interest in based on negative comments re headtracker on this forum. Appreciate any insights from the tribe...

Kelly

Would anyone happen to know if you can use a fat shark cable with the DJI FPV hub and get all stats and image? It seems with the newer gimbal they dont quite work with the hero4, I had the old H3-3D gimbal with the ribon cable and it worked great, then I got the new one that plugs into the back of the camera and no ribon cable and everything comes up except an image, here is a link to the one I bought: Miscellaneous All Hop-Ups, Parts & Upgrades - GoPro to Fat Shark Cased Transmitter (3p JST style) Cable once I pluged it in to where the iosd mini plugs into the FVP hub I then got video but now because the iosd is no longer plugged in I get no stats, no hight, satillights, battery, ect... I now see this cable by fat shark: Miscellaneous All Hop-Ups, Parts & Upgrades - GoPro To TX (5P Molex) if i send the other back and get this, could I plug into the CAN-BUS port and get an image and all the stats? or is there any way to get all on screen info and see FPV from the camera without having to take apart the gimbal and putting a ribbon cable back in? looking for a quick easy cheap fix and I already have the AVL58 so I am not looking to buy another TX from fat shark to make this work if I dont need to. I think it maybe be possible to cut and hard wire but I am not completely sure so if anyone has had this problem and knows of an easy way to fix PLEASE PLEASE tell me!!!!! thanks!!!!

Would anyone happen to know if you can use a fat shark cable with the DJI FPV hub and get all stats and image? It seems with the newer gimbal they dont quite work with the hero4, I had the old H3-3D gimbal with the ribon cable and it worked great, then I got the new one that plugs into the back of the camera and no ribon cable and everything comes up except an image, here is a link to the one I bought: Miscellaneous All Hop-Ups, Parts & Upgrades - GoPro to Fat Shark Cased Transmitter (3p JST style) Cable once I pluged it in to where the iosd mini plugs into the FVP hub I then got video but now because the iosd is no longer plugged in I get no stats, no hight, satillights, battery, ect... I now see this cable by fat shark: Miscellaneous All Hop-Ups, Parts & Upgrades - GoPro To TX (5P Molex) if i send the other back and get this, could I plug into the CAN-BUS port and get an image and all the stats? or is there any way to get all on screen info and see FPV from the camera without having to take apart the gimbal and putting a ribbon cable back in? looking for a quick easy cheap fix and I already have the AVL58 so I am not looking to buy another TX from fat shark to make this work if I dont need to. I think it maybe be possible to cut and hard wire but I am not completely sure so if anyone has had this problem and knows of an easy way to fix PLEASE PLEASE tell me!!!!! thanks!!!!

You mentioned having bought a new gimbal after using a H3-3D gimbal. Is the new gimbal an aftermarket unit?? And why did you switch from the H3-3D in the first place??.Do you still have the H3-3D or is ti damaged??

You mentioned having bought a new gimbal after using a H3-3D gimbal. Is the new gimbal an aftermarket unit?? And why did you switch from the H3-3D in the first place??.Do you still have the H3-3D or is ti damaged??
Yes its the same H3-3D gimbal just a newer version, the old one was crashed and bent but I do still have it, basically the only difference is they got rid of the ribbon cable and now the gimbl has the port on the camera holding plate and plugs into the back of the camera, apparently people were complaining about the ribbon cable that plugged into the side miniusb port and now it plugs into the back of the camera off the gimbal plate

Yes its the same H3-3D gimbal just a newer version, the old one was crashed and bent but I do still have it, basically the only difference is they got rid of the ribbon cable and now the gimbl has the port on the camera holding plate and plugs into the back of the camera, apparently people were complaining about the ribbon cable that plugged into the side miniusb port and now it plugs into the back of the camera off the gimbal plate

That's just the opposite the 30 pin connector was the original H3-3D gimbal then DJI redesigned the gimbal after having a falling out with GP. Some have said there is a work around for the hero 4 by using the LCD touch bacpac setup the GP and then plugging it into the gimbal and it will work. I have the original bacpac and not about to buy another to find out. The only other solution would be to switch camera plates and go back to using the USB ribbon cable for the video.

That's just the opposite the 30 pin connector was the original H3-3D gimbal then DJI redesigned the gimbal after having a falling out with GP. Some have said there is a work around for the hero 4 by using the LCD touch bacpac setup the GP and then plugging it into the gimbal and it will work. I have the original bacpac and not about to buy another to find out. The only other solution would be to switch camera plates and go back to using the USB ribbon cable for the video.

Thanks for trying to help me out with the info, i think switching the plates might be my best bet because i have the hero 4 Black which has no LCD screen... unless you have another idea that would work for this model I would love to know, thanks!!

Thanks for trying to help me out with the info, i think switching the plates might be my best bet because i have the hero 4 Black which has no LCD screen... unless you have another idea that would work for this model I would love to know, thanks!!

The only I can tell you is be careful not to damage the gimbals ribbon cable when changing those plates.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20