Insignia flex elite review

Reaction score
Well I just got my (used) insignia flex elite tablet and as this has already been brought up before with people looking for cheap tablets to use with their phantom I thought I'd share my 2 cents.
I got this on eBay, for $70, slightly used. It's a 7.85" screen, ips display 2048x1536,
quad core rockchipc3288 , 2gb ram, 16gb rom, GPS enabled.
For me the smallish size just feels right and this screen is absolutely amazing. Very very bright. Good colors. In fact even without using a matte screen cover I could use this for fpv in very bright sunlight. The tablet is quick, responsive and I've had no lag in terms of go app /litchi operation or video lag.
One significant drawback is that the tablet does not read well all SD cards. In fact it only reads fat 32 formatted cards, hence no 64gb cards. One other important notice: when using go app the tablet failed to keep up with saving the live video feed (my LG g3 had never had any problem with it) . In fact I lost video feed during a flight and that did not resume even upon landing. With litchi I did not notice any such problem. I'm guessing the tablet is unable to both process and save the live video feed. As litchi does not save video previews that problem did not recur with it.

All in all an excellent, cheap solution for good fpv screen as long as you disable saving video previews on the dji app or use litchi.

You can stop caching videos on DJI go app via a setting. Try it and then conclude.

What did you use setting for hardware decoding?

What kind of GPS it has?

Any HDMI output?

What's screen cd/m2 rating?

Last edited:
I'm curious how it compares to the Insignia Flex 10.1 tablet which has half the RAM but 2x the storage and HDMI output. The price is the same and I'm leaning toward the 10.1 due to the larger size. Folks here seem to be mentioning the Flex Elite more here and I'm not sure if it's due to the form factor or if it will perform better.

Here's the comparo on Best Buy's site.

I purchased the Insignia Flex 10.1 for the sole purpose of using with my P3P.

Pros: Fits in the holder
Has HDMI output which works nicely
OS seems to run OK
Has features I wasn't aware of, like a built-in radio (just have to plug in headphones)

Cons: Terrible resolution, I don't know why they even make tablets this size with such low rez screens
First part of audio get cut off... for example, "takeoff" may sound like "off". Sounds is OK after the first fraction of a second.
The tablet build is poor; It's very squeaky
Even though it fits in the holder, it's heavy and almost too big.
Screen is not bright enough

This one was the dealbreaker for me.. when recording to the tablet the video gets considerably worse.

In short, I would NOT recommend this tablet for use with DJI quads.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub