Insight on my Fly Away? - HealthyDrone & YT Link

Reaction score
Hi

I had my first fly away this morning.

I landed the drone after my battery began to run low and then popped a new one in. After taking off and climbing to about 30 feet the drone took off by itself to the east reaching 45mph (way over the normal max of 30 or so). I tried to fly it back in, when I realized it wasn't responding I put it in Atti mode with no luck. It continued till it was out of sight and could no longer get a video feed.

After about 3 1/2 minutes the drone returned a bit beat up. It was clear that it had a run in with something, gimbal broke, chassis scuffed, and landing gear partially knocked out.

I did calibrate the compass before my take off with the first battery. I did not re-calibrate it when I swapped in the second before the fly away. (I didn't think this needed to be done, but correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm including a link to the happy drone data. It continued a lot longer than what was logged, and I didn't see any errors for the compass or gps, but this is the first time I have ever looked over the data like this.

Thanks for any insight!

Video cuts out before collision, I'm guessing what was recorded right up to the crash was probably in the buffer and not yet written to the SD card. The fly away begins soon as the drone starts to move horizontaly.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here.

I believe this is the correct one, please let me know.

Thanks!

Attachments

• FLY195.log.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 356
It's the same log you uploaded to Healthy Drones.

I see you were flying in ATTI mode. Was it windy?

Are you saying it started returning home by itself? Or did you initiate that?

It appears to have done it itself. I know I didn't hit return to home in the app and confirm it, especially in the first 14 seconds when it was overhead.

Last edited:
Can you retrieve the Dat logs of that day and post them in dropbox or google drive?
Here is how to retrieve them
Retrieving a .DAT from the P3

I can then have a look at the stick movement and possible mag issues as well as modes you were flying in.
Something like this

Can you retrieve the Dat logs of that day and post them in dropbox or google drive?
Here is how to retrieve them
Retrieving a .DAT from the P3

I can then have a look at the stick movement and possible mag issues as well as modes you were flying in.
Something like this
FLY195.DAT
Thanks for the help!

Even if it thought it was RTHing, it's a very odd flight path for RTHing. Let's see what Luap finds in your DAT data.

This is quite an extraodinary flight! Never saw something like it. Looks like a real flyaway.
Its not the same flight thats on Msingers server. You are very lucky your P3 came back.
Looks like you hit a building and had very weak GPS signal.
Something @BudWalker has to look at. Will render the video but will take some time.

Yeah I used maps made easy to plot the dat file and saw where it had struck a building. I lucked out, it looks like it hit between the balconies.

Did it have a weak gps signal prior to striking the building?

Its not the same flight thats on Msingers server.
I guess you're referring to the part where the downlink was lost for ~2 minutes?

The first thing I noticed is that there was a problem with the gps coupled with a "high acceleration event"

upload_2016-5-13_13-34-16.png

The blue line is gps number of satellites which drops to 3 at about 57.158. The acceleration spike shows that it bumped into something

capture-20160513-133644.jpg

Notice how the P3 flies straight at the obstacle and then wobbles off a different direction; kinda like it's dizzy from hitting something:)

This doesn't have much to do with what started the fly away. I'm looking at that now.
@Luap is right. FLY195.DAT is the not the same flight that was uploaded to Msinger's server

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-13_13-29-43.png
    upload_2016-5-13_13-29-43.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 469
Here is the full flight - check the Mag mod chart the stick movements and nongps cause messages.
Motor charts are strange as well but had no place to add them. What do you guys think?

Thanks for all the analysis. I'm I safe to say that this will hopeful be covered under warranty? I don't believe it was pilot error.

They are both from the same flight.

The "shorter" flight with the gap in time is from the log on the phone. When overlay-ed with the flight from the DAT info off the drone, both the fly away and return perfectly align.
That was the only flight I "flew" this morning east of the take off. I was shooting the park to the north west of take off.

Log from phone
1deaipg.jpg

Map from DAT file
PRhrLYV.jpg

Overlay
OQo0q42.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member